ossobuco

Reply Mon 19 Aug, 2013 03:37 pm
@firefly,
Yes, the art forgeries.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 19 Aug, 2013 03:42 pm
@firefly,
On the other hand there are coffee may kill you articles all over the place as we speak.

I'm at peace with my coffee. Given refills and so on, I'm probably at 2 or 2 1/2 cups a day. Back in my lab days I filled up many cups with coffee, but I don't like it much lukewarm. I probably didn't sip as much as I thought I did. Toss.
Of the many possibilities of what will get me in the end, coffee is not anywhere at the top of my list.

And besides, now I'm too old for the latest promoted survey.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 19 Aug, 2013 03:50 pm
@firefly,
Fatty liver disease - I think it was this that killed a most beloved a2k poster. I quail when I see those words because of how we loved him and still do. He was young. I strongly doubt he was alcoholic, I think that's impossible. He loved fun though.

All I can say is that he would have made some good jokes about all this, none of them sappy.

Rest in peace, cavfancier. We still love you.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 19 Aug, 2013 03:53 pm
bumpies

I also strongly doubt that cav had type II diabetes.

this makes me want to recycle some of his ordinary posts.. I still miss him, and know I'm not the only one.
spendius

Reply Mon 19 Aug, 2013 04:51 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
You drink two pints of John Smith's Extra Smooth at one time?

Oh no!! I like to take a pint nice and slowly savouring every swig but in order to do that it is necessary to take one fast first. It's a system that works quite well with other delights I have found.
spendius

Reply Mon 19 Aug, 2013 04:56 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
I also strongly doubt that cav had type II diabetes.

this makes me want to recycle some of his ordinary posts.. I still miss him, and know I'm not the only one.

He was the only bloke on A2K, apart from me, who had read, and loved, Frank Harris' My Life and Loves.

I really miss cav.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 19 Aug, 2013 04:59 pm
@spendius,
Finally we agree.
spendius

Reply Mon 19 Aug, 2013 05:02 pm
@ossobuco,
But maybe not for the same reasons.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 19 Aug, 2013 05:09 pm
For newbies, Cavfancier is a major person here. You can look him up.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Mon 19 Aug, 2013 08:00 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
As for being perked up before work forget it. There's nothing but trouble comes from being perked up so it's best to keep perks to a minimum.

I need my morning coffee more for its perk-up effect than anything else. And I really feel better after I'm perked up. I'm not much of a coffee drinker during the rest of the day.

I do like the flavor of coffee, particularly in ice cream. Smile

Wassau makes a great mudslide sundae with coffee ice cream and a warm brownie. It's an instant mood enhancer.

http://s3-media4.ak.yelpcdn.com/bphoto/YnNcusaScMQpF3-szCW71Q/l.jpg
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 20 Aug, 2013 09:45 am
@firefly,
The art forgeries of recent vintage were done intelligently (just as the works of Han van Meygeren-who only faked the works of the hermit of Delft). He produced , want were hailed as > New discoveries and , in the early (religious subject) paintings of Vermeer.
van Meyegeren was so good that he was actually brought up on charges before the NEuremburg Tribunals for stealing and selling off, the patrimony of the Low Countries to the NAzis (Goehring was the major purchaser of van Meygeren works). The Rothkos were not "copying" anything but a minor style and the Pollocks? who knows.

I say that all paints should have taggants in the pigments to designate the years of production. They can make taggants to .0.4 microns in size and that's much smaller than the average oil pigment particles
firefly

Reply Tue 20 Aug, 2013 11:37 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
I say that all paints should have taggants in the pigments to designate the years of production.

At least one of the forgeries in this most recent case was identified by the pigment or paint used--it was a type which was available only after the alleged date the painting was supposedly done.

All these "sudden discoveries" of a cache of art works should be regarded as suspect, and they probably usually are. In this case, it was the involvement of Knoedler that lent them credibility.
0 Replies

vonny

Reply Tue 20 Aug, 2013 02:41 pm
Any news of Lola yet?
spendius

Reply Tue 20 Aug, 2013 03:30 pm
@vonny,
Yes--she has chosen or been forced to avoid the Coffee House.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 21 Aug, 2013 09:59 am
What can a guy do to get his wine glass fully TOPPED off in this joint?!
http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/enhanced/webdr06/2013/8/20/14/enhanced-buzz-15644-1377023491-13.jpg
http://www.buzzfeed.com/mattbellassai/animals-who-arent-even-trying-at-all
And don't ask about where I left my pants. I just don't know! Neutral
vonny

Reply Wed 21 Aug, 2013 01:20 pm
@tsarstepan,
Love the picture - love your new avatar!
0 Replies

FOUND SOUL

Reply Wed 21 Aug, 2013 04:44 pm
@tsarstepan,
Sorry I have a feeling Lola is going to have to fire with waitress!!

http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/j370/Jezey/Parties%20Fun%20Birthday%20Images/Drinking%20Gifs/tumblr_miwjc22rHz1rb4mroo8_250-kenzidrinkingshot_zps2aaca0b9.gif
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 21 Aug, 2013 04:49 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
I like to take a pint nice and slowly savouring every swig but in order to do that it is necessary to take one fast first. It's a system that works quite well with other delights I have found.

<giggles>

a fav band of the cavfancier Very Happy

they always know the right thing to say
spendius

Reply Wed 21 Aug, 2013 05:05 pm
@ehBeth,
The world ended as I knew it when TV spiraled out of control.

0 Replies

firefly

Reply Wed 21 Aug, 2013 11:28 pm
I missed the blue moon last night
http://www.weather.com/news/science/next-blue-moon-happens-tuesday-20130819
but got a gorgeous glimpse of it tonight on my way home from dinner. It wasn't blue at all, but rather a lush orange full moon. It looked like this.

http://o2.aolcdn.com/dims-shared/dims3/PATCH/format/jpg/quality/82/resize/442x295/http://hss-prod.hss.aol.com/hss/storage/patch/fb862f46750d0e4be736b1ab47c3ea9e

Anyone else see it?