Lola at the Coffee House

spendius

Reply Sun 21 Apr, 2013 05:15 pm
@ossobuco,
There you go vonny. You've got the list.

What do you make of it?
JTT

Reply Sun 21 Apr, 2013 05:19 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
I'm the only human in the western world who avoids Sinatra.

Sensible people avoid Sinatra just as they avoid stepping in dog excrement, Osso.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Sun 21 Apr, 2013 06:41 pm
@spendius,
Quote:

You're such a snob girl.

You seem to have entirely missed the satire in "Little Boxes". Perhaps it is due to your ignorance of just what these mass-produced suburban communities were actually like at one point in time--the song satirizes not only the blandness and conformity and uniformity of that sort of pre-fab assembly line suburban housing, where all the houses did look exactly alike, but also the blandness and uniformity and conformity of the occupants of those houses (the occupants are also described as being made of ticky-tacky), which also characterized many suburbanites of that era. The middle class conformity, and the pressure to conform, was stifling. People were "boxed-in" in their heads as well as their houses.

Levittown, NY, for instance, originally built to help provide affordable housing for returning GIs after WWII, maintained it's "uniformity" and homogeneity by not selling or renting to blacks--it was an all white bastion--and, although the builder was Jewish, he really didn't want Jews occupying those houses either. If he was promoting the "American Dream" of homeownership, with his cheaply constructed homes, he was also reserving it for a decidedly WASP clientèle. He helped to promote defacto segregation in schools and housing in the North, which, of course, was no better than what went on in the South.

All of that is what resonates in that song. If you better understood the situation, you might better understand the satire.

Lustig Andrei

Reply Sun 21 Apr, 2013 07:44 pm
@firefly,
You and I seem to have almost identical tastes in music, firefly. I did have a few of the Beatles albums, though, and during the folk craze I really, really dug Pete Seeger, the Weavers and Joan Baez. Dylan, ehhhh.
JTT

Reply Sun 21 Apr, 2013 07:45 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
It's interesting that the You Tube page with that Hurricane video also showed this one listed on the side of the page--I see no connection between the two videos,

You are unfamiliar with the capitalist system, FF?
0 Replies

Lola

Reply Sun 21 Apr, 2013 10:14 pm
@ossobuco,
Well, will you look at that? Osso, I am so impressed. We have many of the same. But many different too. Thanks, that was really something else...................
0 Replies

Lola

Reply Sun 21 Apr, 2013 10:34 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
You should hear me doing Star Spangled Banner in a heavy Lancashire accent wearing nothing but a Telecaster and a Kiss Me Quick hat.

I believe I must ask you to spare us this performance, spendi. My imagination objects.
0 Replies

Lola

Reply Sun 21 Apr, 2013 10:48 pm
@firefly,
It's interesting, isn't it firefly and spendi how our different experiences and temperaments seem to cause us to hear the same song and yet take away a meaning or emotional response so entirely different? As I said, the little boxes song sounds judgmental and condescending to me. It's the generalization that offends me. And yet, I can see how it can be understood in the way it was apparently intended by the writer. Conformity for conformity's sake can be offensive. And yet, if there are those who are happy in that environment, who are we to say that it's wrong? Those little houses are not for me, that's for sure. But I don't feel comfortable making fun of those who find it comforting and secure.
Lola

Reply Sun 21 Apr, 2013 10:50 pm
What a lovely day in the coffee house. Thanks Wassau, you look beat. Here's Serenity to take over the night shift. Good night all. See you tomorrow. Love ya.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 22 Apr, 2013 04:55 am
Good morning. The usual coffee please. Anybody get any epiphanies last night?
spendius

Reply Mon 22 Apr, 2013 04:55 am
@firefly,
Quote:
You seem to have entirely missed the satire in "Little Boxes".

A brick wall couldn't have missed the satire.

It is a smirking, self-satisfied sneer on people who haven't sold any records. And it offers no solution to the problem of affordable housing. A point in my post you have failed to address and the only salient point.

What it really says, and what you are saying, is that you are not bland and conforming and not "ticky-tacky" like the GIs who had helped defeat Hitler.

Quote:
Nobody has to guess
That Baby can't be blessed
Till she finally sees that she's just like all the rest

Quote:
People were "boxed-in" in their heads as well as their houses.

Are you sure? You have an assertion there to stand your position up on. That's a pretty conformist gambit. And I quoted Jane Austen's "common indifferent plight" which you seem to have failed to understand.

The song is political journalism. Played on a ticky-tacky guitar with ticky-tacky rhymes and sung with a ticky-tacky voice.

We have estates like that here.

The song doesn't focus on Levittown so your point about blacks and Jews is not relevant. If you don't want housing like that don't have so many children.
spendius

Reply Mon 22 Apr, 2013 05:03 am
@edgarblythe,
I get epiphanies all the time ed.

TV has to go because the scum that rises to the top is poison.

How's that?
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 22 Apr, 2013 05:20 am
@spendius,
You been watching Survivor again, spendi?
spendius

Reply Mon 22 Apr, 2013 06:08 am
@edgarblythe,
I don't watch that sort of thing ed.
JTT

Reply Mon 22 Apr, 2013 06:59 am
@Lola,
Quote:
Conformity for conformity's sake can be offensive.

Lola: I don't like to end a sentence with a preposition, and don't think for a moment that I'm just following the same madness as everyone else, that same silly little rule that was drilled into our malleable little brains. I'm an independent thinker.
spendius

Reply Mon 22 Apr, 2013 08:28 am
@JTT,
Quote:
I'm an independent thinker.

You should send your Daddy round to have words with the person who drilled a silly liitle idea like that into your noggin.
JTT

Reply Mon 22 Apr, 2013 08:35 am
@spendius,
Why would that be, Spendi?
0 Replies

Lola

Reply Mon 22 Apr, 2013 08:53 am
@spendius,
Quote:
@spendius, You been watching Survivor again, spendi?

Quote:
@edgarblythe,
I don't watch that sort of thing ed.

I do. I enjoy the politics. I would not have thought I'd like it, but when Bernie happened to turn it on once, we started watching. It's entertaining. Funny that I thought for so long that I was too good for such trash TV. Well, shows you what I know. I have been a snob at times in my life. I don't like to think it's so, but I'm afraid that I keep coming face to face with the fact. These days, I watch Survivor with interest and enthusiasm.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Mon 22 Apr, 2013 08:56 am
@spendius,
Quote:
The song doesn't focus on Levittown so your point about blacks and Jews is not relevant...

Levittown, NY, was the original prototype for that sort of cheaply constructed cookie-cutter housing enclave, and it was made available only to whites--there was nothing subtle about the racial discrimination in their policies. The second Levittown community, built in Pennsylvania, continued these same discriminatory "whites only" policies.

The song doesn't have to focus on Levittown, it's clearly referring to the type of suburban tract housing that Levittown epitomized, and the discriminatory policies of these Levitt housing developments were well known.

As for "ticky-tacky" construction, a house in Levittown, Pa., could be built, or assembled, in just 16 minutes.
Quote:
If you don't want housing like that don't have so many children.

That statement makes no sense.

These housing developments were not constructed to accommodate large families. The houses in Levittown, NY, for instance, really were tiny boxes with only a few tiny rooms, and were smaller in living space than the rental apartments in the nearby urban areas. But, obviously, after GIs returned from WWII, they continued to marry and start families, or continued to enlarge their existing families, and this created a need for additional housing. And the idea of being able to raise children in a suburban environment was appealing, and the government provided incentives to make homeownership easier for these veterans, and builders, like Levitt, sought to capitalize on that.

None of that, however, justified the exclusionary policies of communities like Levittown, nor did it make the external uniformity and architectural blandness of these "boxes" any more visually appealing. And the external blandness and conformity of these "boxes" often mirrored the blandness and conformity of many of their occupants, who, at that time, experienced considerable social pressure to conform.

The song "Little Boxes" was specifically inspired by Westlake, a tract housing community in California.
Quote:
Developed by Henry Doelger, Westlake is notable for its monostylistic architecture, created by a core team of designers to encompass nearly every building in the development. For this reason, Westlake has become an icon for architectural blandness, exemplified by its endless rows of boxy houses, which were the inspiration for Malvina Reynolds’ folk song "Little Boxes," an anti-conformity anthem in the 1960s.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westlake,_Daly_City,_California

"An anti-conformity anthem"--that's the point of the song. A song written at a time when social unrest, and sweeping social change, was about to erupt and engulf this country--things which would become significant breaks from the lethargic and complacent conformity of the past.

You have problems promoting individuality and diversity? Is that why this satirical ditty offends you?

Or are you really so concrete in your thinking that you can't get past your rather simplistic focus on "affordable housing"?

It seems to me that your thinking on this matter is rather ticky-tacky, and totally fails to take into account the historical context of the song or its intended message.

JTT

Reply Mon 22 Apr, 2013 09:04 am
@firefly,
Quote:
a house in Levittown, Pa., could be built, or assembled, in just 16 minutes.

You have been known to stretch the truth, Firefly.
0 Replies