Lola at the Coffee House

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2013 12:01 pm
@Setanta,
Thanks, Set.

Now that I look at the pictures in this rag, I realize I was probably better off without the glasses.

Glad I stole this copy.

I gotta wonder...do people actually pay to look at these pictures? (I can't imagine anyone who can actually read would buy it. That'd be like tuning into FoxNews for real news!)
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2013 12:07 pm
I just saw a new thread that asks: " Is there anyone here who is not an Atheist, Christian (of any sort), Muslim, or Jewish person?"

Can someone check and see if John Travolta and Tom Cruise are still in the back...and if they are, give 'em both a heads-up.
0 Replies

Lola

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2013 12:41 pm
OK, so today we have a rambunctious bunch of horse meat jokers, smokers, news paper readers/picture reading, coffee drinking, smoking, ransom demanders......or not.

Welcome all. I love you and thank you for keeping me company. I'm going to sit here on the couch and drink my large coffee with lots of almond milk. Running the risk of seeming to be too clean.

Smoking is done only upstairs, Spendi. Wassau's trying to quit, but he never will. And I do understand that it does make you feel better.

(Music can be heard from upstairs.........from one of the renter's rooms, "Mama if that's what you call moving up, then I'm moving out..........")
Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2013 02:27 pm
@Frank Apisa,
You're old enough, Frank, to remember the days when The NY Post was considered a very liberal left-wing rag, I'm sure. Back in the 1960s.
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2013 03:37 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Seems to me I do...but my mind is fried.

Didn't Hamilton...or one of the other founding fathers have something to do with its foundation? I was thinking Franklin...but I think that was the Saturday Evening Post...not the New York Post.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2013 04:13 pm
@Frank Apisa,
According to Wikipedia, Alexander Hamilton was a founder of the rag with a princely investment of about $10,000 (most of it not his own money anyway). It claims to be the oldest daily newspaper in the US. There are a couple of papers, still in circulations, which claim to be older, but they all started out as weeklies, went daily much later.

You can read about it here
Lola

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2013 04:31 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
So then, the pictures ought to be good.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2013 04:34 pm
@Lola,
Playboy's are better.
Berty McJock

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2013 05:33 pm
evening all. mind if i put a job advert up on the wall?

*pins an a4 sheet of paper to the wall. it reads:

"position vacant.
carer required for mentally infirm.
must be good with children.
applications to the Vatican."*

does the hot chocolate have melty marshmallow in it?
spendius

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2013 06:13 pm
@Lola,
Quote:
OK, so today we have a rambunctious bunch of horse meat jokers

I wouldn't bother about that Lola. It's all gristle to the mill.

(Geddit Jock? Grist to the mill. Gristle to the mill. Sheesh!! Are people impressed in Scotland with witticisms about pretending to order coffee. Or taking Murdoch's rag The Times into a corner with some non-alcoholic beverage or other. If they are the sooner you get independence the better. One doesn't need to understand The Times to take it. A lot of people take things as a signifier of their excellence. I myself have taken the waters in the best spa towns. When I was a kid we used to pretend we were doctors whilst Jennifer Whiteside was pretending she was a patient for a penny off each of us.)

Berty McJock

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2013 06:16 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
(Geddit Jock? Grist to the mill. Gristle to the mill. Sheesh!! Are people impressed in Scotland with witticisms about pretending to order coffee. Or taking Murdoch's rag The Times into a corner with some non-alcoholic beverage or other. If they are the sooner you get independence the better. One doesn't need to understand The Times to take it. A lot of people take things as a signifier of their excellence. I myself have taken the waters in the best spa towns. When I was a kid we used to pretend we were doctors whilst Jennifer Whiteside was pretending she was a patient for a penny off each of us.)

you've lost me there. not sure what you're getting at. i dont even read the times.
spendius

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2013 06:22 pm
@Berty McJock,
It's me Jock. I have the unfortunate predisposition to take note of what everybody says.
Berty McJock

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2013 06:25 pm
@spendius,
yeah but i've never "taken a copy of the times", so i still don't get it. i'm probably just bein a div.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2013 06:27 pm
@Berty McJock,
Do you not know that Americans are so polite that they wouldn't dream of expecting anybody to listen to anything they say? Surely you have endured one of Mr Obarmy's speeches. They are designed to go in one ear and out of the other fast enough to be unable to stop.
Berty McJock

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2013 06:31 pm
@spendius,
maybe its because i'm tired, but your bein to cryptic for me. i'm thinking it's bed time. i can't spend another night up till 3am. Razz
Lola

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2013 09:14 pm
@spendius,
I get it. Horse meat = gristle.............for the mill. Funny. Jock, is Spendi suggesting that you often make puns that are only mildly funny? In my profession, the phrase, "grist for the mill" is often used in an effort to smooth over a mistake. And it's often true. But sometimes, the mill has so much grist, the damn mill grinds to a halt.

Wassau.....will you get off the phone with Vera and make a big pile of pancakes for Spendi? And don't use the name brand mix. He's opposed to snobbery, aren't ya Spendi?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2013 09:15 pm
@Berty McJock,
Dont be bustin on spendi. Hes our canary in the coalmine. When he stops using punctuation, RUN.
Lola

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2013 09:19 pm
@farmerman,
Very well said FM.
Whattlyahav? I finally got Wassau's attention. I'm having pancakes with syrup, which I'm sharing with my canary friend Spendi.

Jock, hungry?
Lola

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2013 09:20 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
true. I agree.
0 Replies

Lola

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2013 09:21 pm
@Berty McJock,
poor pope. I'm sympathetic. Getting old is the pits.
0 Replies