Lola at the Coffee House

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 30 Mar, 2013 12:50 am
@firefly,
Quote:
hat I believe were made from Martha Stewart's recipes

OMG! I use 2 of her recipes in my own restaurant! I LOVE this place.
firefly

Reply Sat 30 Mar, 2013 01:01 am
It's impossible not to love this place, Hawkeye. Make yourself comfy and enjoy the great food and the good company.

Which of Martha Stewart's recipes do you use at your restaurant? What kind of food do you feature there?
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 30 Mar, 2013 01:08 am
@firefly,
Quote:
Which of Martha Stewart's recipes do you use at your restaurant? What kind of food do you feature there?

I am so sorry but I can not give out that info....there are too many low lifes in here who want to hurt me because they dont like my opinions and I dont want them to find me....not everyone is as classy as you are.

ps: I still dont like some of your tactics.
MattDavis

Reply Sat 30 Mar, 2013 01:19 am
@Lola,
Lola wrote:
So glad you made it.

Thanks Lola Very Happy
Lola wrote:
The air of Motown coming through the air vents.......now we need some music please.

I will give a few options for the jukebox which have some memories for me:

Classic Motown--Marvin Gaye--What's going on

When I was a tike I had a Cabbage Patch doll. I named him Marvin Dave, 'cause that is how I tried to pronounce Marvin Gaye. My poor mother used to sew us matching clothes. Marvin and I that is.

Lola wrote:
Detroit, the city with problems. Something about an emergency city manager.
Word.
Contemporary Detroit--Eminem--Beautiful

'Don't let 'em say you ain't beautiful
They can all get fucked, just stay true to you'

Lola wrote:
I hope Detroit is good to you, Matt and Jaz.

Thanks Lola. I hope we are good to her. She's had enough abuse.

Last time I was here I saw Gogol Bordello in concert.
Gypsy Punk--Gogol Bordello--American Wedding
I went to an Ethiopian restaraunt pre-concert, where we ended up meeting Eugene. DeVotchKa opened for the band, they brought aerial silk acrobats. The night started like Cirque du Soleil and ended with me covered in the ricocheted sweat particles of Detroit's finest hoodlems.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Sat 30 Mar, 2013 01:55 am
@hawkeye10,
Well, it's not necessary that you give out any info here. But you and Wassau might have a lot to talk about, behind closed doors, of course, since you're both in the restaurant business. That is if the poor man has a moment to spare. We keep him pretty busy and this place is open 24/7.

The food here is fantastic. And you can order anything you desire and Wassau will make it appear. The man is a magician in the kitchen and he loves pleasing his patrons. And the company here is stimulating, the chairs are super comfortable, and the ambiance is perfect. Could it be any better than that?

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 30 Mar, 2013 02:13 am
@firefly,
Quote:
The man is a magician in the kitchen and he loves pleasing his patrons. And the company here is stimulating, the chairs are super comfortable, and the ambiance is perfect. Could it be any better than that?

yes. the best of the best show this old man something fab that I have never seen before. as Steve Jobs famously said
Quote:
“people don't know what they want until you show it to them.”

I am waiting for Wassau to show me that he plays at this level.

impress me!
0 Replies

vonny

Reply Sat 30 Mar, 2013 04:38 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
what do we need to do with scissors on a grape?

I don't use them, but my mother did. Useful for picking up a bunch of grapes without handling them. Lift the bunch, then cut the stem - perhaps it's just an English custom? Like the boiled egg thing though - all a matter of personal choice! Main thing is to enjoy 'em! Laughing
Quote:
Definition of grape scissors
noun:
a pair of scissors used for dividing a bunch of grapes.

(illustration shows a pair of grape scissors, but the ones we had at home used to be more like the ones for lopping the top off an egg!)
http://thefoodwatchdog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/grapescissors-300x148.jpg
0 Replies

vonny

Reply Sat 30 Mar, 2013 04:48 am
@farmerman,
Peeling a grape can be a very sensuous experience - but not done with grape scissors. Is there an implement for peeling a grape? Who has time nowadays? Didn't someone say once that life was too short to peel a mushroom? Oops - another can of worms opened perhaps? Rolling Eyes
farmerman

Reply Sat 30 Mar, 2013 06:37 am
@vonny,
singlepurpose service is only hot with antiques collectors over here. We have a blanket chest full of silver seafood and oyster service, melon service, cheese service and other junk that has a total melt weight in silver but we dont have the heart to sell it so it can be melted down. Much of it is really quite beautiful and delicate, but, as the world moves on, is entirely useless and merely ostentatious.

Whenever we have folks over for dinner, we serve everytjing on handmade mismatched plates and bowls of stoneware and art pottery. Its fun and puts all the guests immdeiately at ease (Which is our first rule of eating dinner with us BE COMFORTABLE OR WELL KILL YOU).

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 30 Mar, 2013 06:46 am
Interesting discovery this morning...when I decided to have soft boiled eggs on toast.

When I said that I cook them for 3 minutes...I forgot to mention that I put them in the pot in unheated water; turn the fire up until bubbles break the surface; then time them for 3 minutes.

Looking up some of the stuff for the discussion yesterday, I noticed that most advice indicates cooking for 5 minutes--but that is when the egg is put into boiling (simmering) water.

Tried that today...and found the egg a bit runny for my taste. The other way seems to get more cooking done...although watching the pot for the water to start simmering can be a pain.

Gonna try putting the egg in simmering water again next time I want eggs for breakfast, but time it for 5.5 minutes...and see what happens.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 30 Mar, 2013 06:57 am
I boil the bejaysus out of eggs for several minutes.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 30 Mar, 2013 07:00 am
@edgarblythe,
So does the Easter Bunny!
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 30 Mar, 2013 07:15 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Interesting discovery this morning...when I decided to have soft boiled eggs on toast.

When I said that I cook them for 3 minutes...I forgot to mention that I put them in the pot in unheated water; turn the fire up until bubbles break the surface; then time them for 3 minutes.

Looking up some of the stuff for the discussion yesterday, I noticed that most advice indicates cooking for 5 minutes--but that is when the egg is put into boiling (simmering) water.

Tried that today...and found the egg a bit runny for my taste. The other way seems to get more cooking done...although watching the pot for the water to start simmering can be a pain.

Gonna try putting the egg in simmering water again next time I want eggs for breakfast, but time it for 5.5 minutes...and see what happens.

I agree Frank. That is interesting. In fact it really is quite extraordinarily interesting. One is moved to feel that anybody who is as interesting as that should be carefully listened to on such subjects as why Jesus failed to condemn slavery, the correct method of picking one's nose when stopped at a red light and the vexed question of whether God exists or not.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 30 Mar, 2013 07:22 am
@spendius,
So glad you liked it, Spendius.
farmerman

Reply Sat 30 Mar, 2013 08:42 am
@Frank Apisa,
VEDDY INTERESTING!!. Put your eggs in cool water, bring it to a boil, then count three min eh? Sonds reasonable. Course that takes some careful watchigand Im sure my ADD would kick in and Id be off watching bluebirds .
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 30 Mar, 2013 08:42 am
It should be noted that the boiling point of water varies with the atmospheric pressure.

There is a chart on my kitchen wall which I devised to help the maids prepare my boiled eggs to perfection every time. They are instructed to read the pressure off the barometer which is on the wall in my hallway and to write it down on their Blackberry. I had found in my first trials that they had forgot it by the time they returned to the kitchen and a series of inexpertly prepared boiled eggs resulted which were either impossible to get a soldier into, from which the metaphor "hard boiled" derives, or too slimy to look palatable. A piece of paper or the starched cuffs of their uniforms, which I designed myself, were no good as they spent so long looking for a pen that would write that brunch-time arrived and the matter became passe. And it took a few days to show them how to tap the barometer before taking a reading.

Once these minor glitches were overcome it was a simple matter to show them how to run their little forefinger down the left hand column, the atmospheric pressure, with the tip of their little tongues peeping out of the corner of their delicate little lips in a perfect picture of dedicated concentration, and then move it whorizontally to the right and see how long my eggs were to be boiled under the envoronmental conditions at the time. Unfortunately it was far from a simple matter to get the operation running entirely to my satisfaction, the search for a perfectly boiled egg every time is as impossible as the search for the Holy Grail.

There were 20 charts actually to account for variations in the amount of pain I could reasonably expect them to suffer watching the water come to the boil when I knew they were having to do the toast at the same time in such a way that my soldiers were just right. I had colour charts for that. At certain times the electricity supplies lose some of their energy. If the toast is burned it is necessary to start again and by the time it is ready a second time (the best that can be hoped for) the egg is off its best and a disgruntled breakfast ensues and there are black looks all around.

Getting the correct amount of salt in my mashed potatoes proved a real headache.

ossobuco

Reply Sat 30 Mar, 2013 08:51 am
@MattDavis,
I envy you with a nearby indian restaurant.
spendius

Reply Sat 30 Mar, 2013 09:47 am
There was a story in a magazine or some other firelighter that Prince Charles was so insistent on two perfectly boiled eggs and ideally prepared and properly aligned soldiers as soon as he sat down in the breakfast room after striding in from practising his polo in the park that the kitchen staff had eggs in various states of being boiled. He might stride straight in if the practice had been unsatisfactory or, if feeling pleased with himself and somewhat expansive, he might stop for a few kind words to one of the junior gardeners or to offer some encouragement to his geraniums.

The technical expertise required to achieve such an objective would be not all that dissimilar to that of managing Poppaea Augusta Sabina's 500 asses which provided the milk for her baths wherever she happened to fancy being at any particular time.

It was said that on one occasion 176 boiled eggs were thrown away. The staff were not allowed to eat them under a statutory instrument which came about as a result of a discreet complaint that they had eat nothing but boiled eggs for months.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 30 Mar, 2013 10:01 am
@spendius,
did ya ever notice how spendi is ever so slowly trying to occupy the patrician style of Lord Ellpus? I dearly miss the Lord, he was a real wit and a half, unlike spendi, who is about two thirds away from the Lord.
Lola

Reply Sat 30 Mar, 2013 10:23 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
OMG! I use 2 of her recipes in my own restaurant! I LOVE this place.

Welcome Hawkeye. Wassau is eager to consult with you about cookies and other recipes. As you can see, we're having a discussion about how to boil an egg. I just put them in cold water. Place them on the stove and turn up the heat. I set the timer for 10 minutes and leave the kitchen. I can not be bothered to wait. When the timer goes off, I turn off the heat and leave the egg in the water until I'm ready to eat it. It's hard boiled of course, but that's fine with me.
0 Replies