Lola at the Coffee House

vonny

Reply Fri 29 Mar, 2013 03:21 pm
@ehBeth,
Hey, I like it! Never seen anything like that before - jolly good invention!
0 Replies

vonny

Reply Fri 29 Mar, 2013 03:22 pm
>bump<
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 29 Mar, 2013 03:24 pm
@ehBeth,
, like a big cigar tipper. I used to be the greatest cigar moil.
dlowan

Reply Fri 29 Mar, 2013 03:31 pm
@farmerman,
I whack the tops off my soft boiled eggs with a knife....a spoon well wielded will also do it.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 29 Mar, 2013 03:33 pm
@farmerman,
very much like a cigar tipper
vonny

Reply Fri 29 Mar, 2013 03:56 pm
@ehBeth,
Or grape scissors perhaps?
Lola

Reply Fri 29 Mar, 2013 03:58 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Yes indeedy, Andrew. But you have more patience than I do.......apparently. I don't want to even wait long enough for the water to boil. So I set the timer for a few minutes so I'll go back and turn the burner off and leave the egg in the hot water for a while as I do other more interesting things that doesn't require waiting. Eventually, I eat the egg with english muffin because weight watchers says that Thomas' English muffins have roughage which make them less fattening. But I do add jam on one side of the muffin. If I'd discipline myself to exercise more I could eat more, but exercise is boring too.
Lola

Reply Fri 29 Mar, 2013 04:00 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
It can be done with a knife but I can recall people regularly using egg toppers. I know they're available in the U.S.

Yep I used to have one of these. I wonder what happened to it.........down the black hole, no doubt.
spendius

Reply Fri 29 Mar, 2013 04:20 pm
@ehBeth,
They are not for topping eggs Beth! They are for purchasing and having in the house. In a word, posh. The ownership of such a device speaks volumes for the position of its owner in the general battle.

They are inefficient for a number of reasons but the main one is that the cutter is bound to get some yummy egg on it which looks to be more dangerous to lick off than it would off a spoon.

And at a large breakfast table with, say, twelve diners, by the time the butler got round to the last egg it would be cold and the person who it was assigned to would have had to witness others dipping their soldiers in whilst ravening with hunger and salivating like one of Pavlov's dogs, unless the others were polite enough to wait for all the eggs to be topped in which case they would all be cold and the egg topped first would be the coldest due to a portion of its insulation having been removed. Such a problem being easily solved by having twelve egg toppers which would have to be all different to avoid the imputation that a bulk purchase had been made and all the shameful consequences that implies.

Butlers are not supposed to move quickly. Inefficiency is the hallmark of their reputability. Their tailcoats are not supposed to flap about because it looks undignified.

And you can bet your house to a shovelful of cow muck, which has nothing to be said against it except possibly that it smells a bit and sticks to things easily, that there will be a range of egg toppers extending from the store those you display came from up to a culinary appliances salon in the Rue de Faubourg.

Naturally, I am not allowing for the chicken consciousness cult being in play because most people think it a leg pull. Not that I do of course. I think the chicken to be an ideal totem for an ideal society.
dlowan

Reply Fri 29 Mar, 2013 04:24 pm
@Lola,
Lola wrote:

Quote:
It can be done with a knife but I can recall people regularly using egg toppers. I know they're available in the U.S.

Yep I used to have one of these. I wonder what happened to it.........down the black hole, no doubt.

It's gone where the lost socks go
Sing it high, sing it low
Ding dong the egg topper is dead!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 29 Mar, 2013 04:25 pm
@spendius,
What kind of world do you live in to talk about butlers cutting eggs? greenhouses, kitchen staff and butlers. Sheesh.

I saw plenty of egg toppers in the 1960's. I've never seen a butler.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 29 Mar, 2013 04:28 pm
@ehBeth,
It is a child's game, called Clue.
spendius

Reply Fri 29 Mar, 2013 04:32 pm
@Lola,
Quote:
weight watchers says that Thomas' English muffins have roughage which make them less fattening.

The reason roughage makes the muffins less fattening is because roughage cases fast action passage through the digestive system and the stomach hasn't the time to extract the full amount of nutrient and the diner remains peckish and wanting more muffins.
Lola

Reply Fri 29 Mar, 2013 04:46 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
And you can bet your house to a shovelful of cow muck, which has nothing to be said against it except possibly that it smells a bit and sticks to things easily, that there will be a range of egg toppers extending from the store those you display came from up to a culinary appliances salon in the Rue de Faubourg.

While this may be true.......I think you take it a bit too far, spendi. But it is true, as dlowan says, the one I had went where the lost socks have gone and unlike the socks, I haven't missed it, or even remembered it until Beth reminded me.......so we can say that the devise is at least non-essential........and probably not as good as a knife, which I prefer.

Butlers and house maids can be annoying. And they are definitely posh, as Beth so clearly points out. I prefer not to have help in my house. If you have more than one, they tend to argue among themselves and sooner or later, you get pulled into the middle and oh wow! I'd rather have a small living space and clean it myself.
Lola

Reply Fri 29 Mar, 2013 04:47 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
and the diner remains peckish and wanting more muffins.

Yes, this is the problem.
Lola

Reply Fri 29 Mar, 2013 04:49 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
It is a child's game, called Clue.

Funny!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 29 Mar, 2013 04:52 pm
@Lola,
Sadly, I read recently that the ubiquitous, magisterial and serially omniscient "they" who give food its orders, have determined that fibre has calories and we have been consuming more calories in our fiberially holy carbs than we knew.

On the good side, muffins will now be less more ish.

Until "they" change their minds again.

Actually, I hate muffins, so there will be no change in MY muffin habits.....but I spring to enlighten the muffin eaters amongst us!
farmerman

Reply Fri 29 Mar, 2013 05:03 pm
@vonny,
what do we need to do with scissors on a grape?
Lola

Reply Fri 29 Mar, 2013 05:04 pm
@dlowan,
Quote:
"they" who give food its orders, have determined that fibre has calories and we have been consuming more calories in our fiberially holy carbs than we knew.

Well damn! But I do like muffins anyway. But still, no advantage. Grumble.
0 Replies

Lola

Reply Fri 29 Mar, 2013 05:13 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
what do we need to do with scissors on a grape?

They are good for peeling.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvoZFjgjk-o