what does this mean?

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2013 06:07 am
Have you all seen this notice of old Macgregor's? A little nosegay for everyone. Maxwell, wake up and listen.

What does " A little nosegay for everyone"mean here?

Thank you

View best answer, chosen by lizfeehily
Setanta

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2013 06:30 am
@lizfeehily,
Nosegay means a small bundle of flowers. People used to believe that disease was caused by bad smells, so it was common for peole to carry a small bouquet of flowers, holding them just under the nose. Sometimes they were attached to bodice of a woman's dress, or worn around the neck on a ribbon. The word gay here comes from Middle English of five or six hundred years ago, and means an ornament. So as it is used here, it means a "happy ornament.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2013 08:01 am
Might depends on what Mcgreagor's notice is . . .

"A little nosegay for everyone". could mean, a nice breath of fresh air or something nice for a change.
trinath

Reply Sat 2 Feb, 2013 05:39 am
@lizfeehily,
For a Change
0 Replies

lizfeehily

Reply Sat 2 Feb, 2013 06:11 am
@PUNKEY,
Mr Macgragor's notice actually brings bad news. I believe the speaker wants to be sarcastic. So what exactly does that mean? Thank you.
0 Replies

contrex
  Selected Answer

Reply Sat 2 Feb, 2013 07:21 am
I keep pounding away at the total lack of context provided by so many questioners on here. The piece in question is from George Orwell's "Burmese Days", a semi-fictional work based on the author's brief spell as a police officer in Burma in the 1920s. It is a tale from the waning days of British colonialism, when Burma was ruled as part of the Indian empire - "a portrait of the dark side of the British Raj." At its centre is John Flory, "the lone and lacking individual trapped within a bigger system that is undermining the better side of human nature." Orwell's first novel, it describes "corruption and imperial bigotry in a society where, "after all, natives were natives - interesting, no doubt, but finally...an inferior people."

The material quoted is from a section which takes place in a place called Kyauktada, in a "European club" where local colonial officials and other white men gather. Such establishments were common throughout the empire, and other countries in Asia and Africa.

Ellis is reading the club noticeboard.

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p29/badoit/BurmeseDays001_zpsdb714492.jpg

He sees a notice placed there by Mcgregor, who is not only an important colonial offical, but also the secretary of the club. It suggests that the club should alter its rules to allow non-white (mainly Indian and Burmese given the location) membership.

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p29/badoit/BurmeseDays002_zps5dffbf96.jpg

As is plain from Ellis' folowing remarks, he does not like the idea, so his description of the notice as a "little nosegay" (i.e. something to make life more pleasant) for everyone is definitely sarcastic.
lizfeehily

Reply Sat 2 Feb, 2013 07:57 pm
@contrex,
wow, thank you for going through all the trouble to find the text. I love your answer. Thanks
0 Replies