Advice for addicted friend

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2013 02:30 am
My friend was seriously obese and had a gastric band that allowed her to get down to her perfect size. Problem is she ate the wrong things and has stretched the band so it is not effective anymore. Now she is terrified of putting the weight back on because she doesn't believe she can do it without the band. In two months she has already gained a fair bit and I can't seem to say the right thing to stop her.
She said she has a terrible relationship with food and comfort eats. She says i don't understand because I'm slim.

Does anyone have any advice for what i can say to help.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,694 • Replies: 4
No top replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2013 03:24 am
she could not do it with the band, and she indicates that she does not intend to do it no matter what tools she has. write her off as a lost cause.
0 Replies

Pearlylustre

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2013 03:38 am
@SofiaMia12,
I thought she would be able to get the band tightened - but it wouldn't do any good if she isn't prepared to change her eating. I don't think there's anything that you can say - it's up to her.
0 Replies

amygarside

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2013 06:01 am
@SofiaMia12,
Maybe she needs to see a psychiatrist because of her eating habit. Also a nutritionist as well.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2013 08:07 am
Definition of addiction: "continued use in spite of knowing the consequences."

STOP talking about it with her. Tell her you are unable to talk about it with her and she needs to work this out with someone who deals with food compulsion.

Don't make it your problem or get pulled into her sickness.
0 Replies