Is further editing required?

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2013 02:43 am

I edited the following sentence:

air purifier?Do not waste that money,just put a clean N95 face mask wherever you go.

=====>>>

Air purifier?Do not waste that money. Just put on a clean N95 face mask wherever you go。

PS: N95 face mask:

http://img.alibaba.com/img/pb/427/618/228/1257152395145_hz_myalibaba_web6_11967.jpg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 658 • Replies: 8
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
Region Philbis

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2013 05:09 am
@oristarA,

Air purifier?Do not waste your money. Just put on a clean N95 face mask wherever you go.
0 Replies

contrex
  Selected Answer

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2013 05:25 am
Air purifier?Do not waste your money. Just wear a clean N95 face mask wherever you go.

I think 'wear' is better. 'Putting on' something e.g. an item of clothing, a hat or a mask is the act of first wearing it. We put on a coat when we go out, and take it off when we come back. In between we wear it. To put on a clean mask wherever (each place) we go sounds like we would need to carry a large supply of masks around.
oristarA

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2013 06:52 am
Thank you both.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2013 09:22 am
@contrex,
Or alternatively

Air purifier?Do not waste your money. Just put on a clean N95 face mask whenever you go out.

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 2 Feb, 2013 04:58 am
@contrex,
Quote:
I think 'wear' is better. 'Putting on' something e.g. an item of clothing, a hat or a mask is the act of first wearing it. We put on a coat when we go out, and take it off when we come back. In between we wear it. To put on a clean mask wherever (each place) we go sounds like we would need to carry a large supply of masks around.

While I agree with your description of 'wear' and 'put on', C, I don't think your conclusion fits for all situations.

[Two friends out in cold weather]

A: My head is cold.

B1: Just wear a hat. ???

B2: Just put on a hat.

I'd say that B2 is more natural. That the hat will be worn is inherent.
trinath

Reply Sat 2 Feb, 2013 05:34 am
@oristarA,
now its nice
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 2 Feb, 2013 06:16 am
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

I'd say that B2 is more natural. That the hat will be worn is inherent.

I would say "put on" as immediate advice intended to cover the immediate situation, and "wear" as generic advice for the future, (and I think an ad for a smog mask falls into this category). However I think that what you or I "would say" is "natural" is a matter, to a greater or lesser extent, of subjective judgment.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2013 11:11 am
@contrex,
Quote:
I would say "put on" as immediate advice intended to cover the immediate situation, and "wear" as generic advice for the future, (and I think an ad for a smog mask falls into this category).

I didn't see this as an ad, though it may well be that it is. I saw it as a single instruction to one individual. In that I may be mistaken.

Quote:
However I think that what you or I "would say" is "natural" is a matter, to a greater or lesser extent, of subjective judgment.

I don't think this is a matter of subjective judgment, as you seem to agree with the point I made,

I would say "put on" as immediate advice intended to cover the immediate situation, and "wear" as generic advice for the future
0 Replies