I am not a Bot, I am a human being!

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2013 02:05 pm
Just being silly, I did a search for an introduction thread but saw quite a few labeled as Bot so I didn’t want to start one and have others think I’m a bot because I’m not, I’m just Rotten Dennis Laughing

Setanta

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2013 02:13 pm
The bots have a certain MO, which you don't display.
jcboy

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2013 02:15 pm
@RottenDennis,
Welcome! Hope you enjoy it here.

Hey nice cock btw, I held out as long as I could Cool
Setanta

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2013 02:17 pm
He won't get the joke right away . . .
0 Replies

RottenDennis

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2013 02:20 pm
@Setanta,
I noticed that, I belong to another forum and we were getting robot accounts every hour! They shut the site down for maintenance, I'm guessing they may be working on a solution.
RottenDennis

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2013 02:22 pm
@jcboy,
Laughing

I got it.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2013 02:27 pm
@RottenDennis,

PS Welcome to A2K.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2013 02:30 pm
@RottenDennis,
We've had the bot invasion since at least last May. There are tip-offs that one is dealing with a bot, some subtle, some pretty damned obvious. I never describe those in a post, though, because i don't want the bot creators to know what the telltale traits are.

There are other spammers, or perhaps their bots, which do key word searches and the post in threads about a specific topic. So, for example, in a thread about a particular contemporary movie, people we've never seen before (and likely won't see again) show up to praise the movie. Most of them are rather obviously not native speakers of English, and i suspect the source is India, where many people who don't speak English well think they do.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2013 02:31 pm
@RottenDennis,
RottenDennis wrote:
I am not a Bot, I am a human being!

An introduction and a discussion about free will.

Prove that you have free will, that you are not just a wet robot, and I'll consider your contention that being a bot and being a human are mutually exclusive.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2013 02:34 pm
Here are two samples of posts by random, inept spammers, or their bots:

http://able2know.org/topic/186606-2#post-4948716

http://able2know.org/topic/186606-2#post-5001302
0 Replies

RottenDennis

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2013 02:48 pm
I haven't figured out the whole idea behind the bots.

They must have an agenda! Hell if I know what it is.
Setanta

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2013 03:01 pm
It is beginning to appear that many of them are simply intended to drop off content which contains key words which appear in common web searches. It's possible that they get paid to spread content which will lead people, through a series of web searches, to certain web sites. JC pointed out one of them recently, but i don't recall now the name of the organization. Maybe he'll read this and post the name again. That organization is a major abuser.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2013 03:12 pm
@RottenDennis,
Meantime, welcome to a2k, mr. rotten dennis.

That, to me, is the worst thing about bots and their associates - we used to have real welcome to a2k threads, not even that long ago, and now that memory is just that, memory.

It's true a lot of bot types (there are categories) seem to be from India - but we also have some admired posters from India, who have added to this site over the years.

ossobuco

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2013 03:13 pm
@Setanta,
That might have been eHow, but I didn't go back to verify this impression. At least eHow is copied by these maneuverers repeatedly.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2013 03:15 pm
@RottenDennis,
Hi RottenDennis, you've got a lot of feathers for a human.

Is that evidence of an evolutionary mutation?

Very Happy

Welcome!
ossobuco

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2013 03:26 pm
@ossobuco,
Among my own questions about these, are whether to tag against them (warning to others) or does that feed the maw?
whether to make fun in some way: many of us can't help ourselves.

So, you're here: have you been an ill behaved Dennis lately?
jcboy

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2013 03:29 pm
@ossobuco,
When I see those threads I tag them Spambot. They're easy to spot, that way nobody thinks its actually an introduction thread.

You know that rooster reminds me of a story. I posted in this Thread about Olivera Egg Ranch in San Jose. Outside of the egg processing plant they sold live chickens and roosters. A lot of the Asian community bought them, they wanted them alive. Of course they sold more chickens then roosters but some people specifically wanted roosters. Mr. Olivera told me roosters were a tough bird to eat.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2013 03:38 pm
@jcboy,
I don't personally know chickens much - but we did have a rooster in a neighborhood about ten blocks away. Man about town, y'know. That's now a changed environment (the original area was cool) and presently gentrified up the kazoo.

I post tags on them, but I don't want to be known for my main tags being Bot.
jcboy

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2013 03:41 pm
@ossobuco,
You can have chickens here in St. Pete, I believe 4, but no roosters allowed! and I'm thankful for that Cool
0 Replies

RottenDennis

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2013 03:45 pm
@ehBeth,
This is a fighting cock, some may not approve however it is one if the worlds oldest spectator sports.