Double yolked eggs

chai2

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2012 08:11 pm
I bought a dozen jumbo cage free eggs, and NINE out of the twelve were doubled yolked!

Rockhead

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2012 08:14 pm
@chai2,
you didn't buy 'em from the little old lady that lives next to the power plant, did ya?
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2012 09:04 pm
@chai2,
Then the yokes on you.

Perhaps they were in Minnesota?. 'Ya know > The Twins!
Setanta

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2012 09:10 pm
Oooo . . . i am so jealous . . . i love hot, runny egg yolks . . .
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2012 09:12 pm
Did ya crack them all at once, just to see? Did ya make a gigantic omelet, with peppers n onions n other good stuff?
Ragman

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2012 09:14 pm
@edgarblythe,
And as the French might say, "That's quite an oeuf!"
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2012 09:46 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Did ya crack them all at once, just to see? Did ya make a gigantic omelet, with peppers n onions n other good stuff?

No.
Yesterday I used 2 eggs to make crumb cake. 2 single yolks
Wally came home that night and made himself fried eggs. He was going to have 4, but each one of them had a double yolk. He ate them all anyway.

When I came home from work a while ago, he said he felt like eggs again, and started cracking them. He said "watch, I'll bet this will be a double, it's so big.

It was.
He started cracking more that he thought were larger than usual, and all were double.
He said, "this last one's a single", and it was.

I had some of the scrambled eggs he made tonight.
I said, "no more eggs for the week."

chai2

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2012 09:04 am
omg I've really hit the jackpot!

I'd bought 2 dozen jumbo eggs, and just started the second carton.

I decided to make myself an egg in basket, and picked a large one. Sure enough, 2 yolks. That 10 out of 13.

Looking at the other 11, it looks like there's others that are unusually jumbo.
Ragman

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2012 09:12 am
@chai2,
Oh...that reminds me, thanks! I'm re-ordering my cholesterol lowering meds. Razz
chai2

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2012 09:19 am
@Ragman,
heh, I thought about that, but I eat meat sparingly, eat sardines, orange juice etc. which more than counteract the eggs.

I also very rarely eat baked goods, junk food, etc.
Linkat

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2012 09:51 am
@chai2,
It happens about 1 in 1000 eggs. It makes sense though that Jumbo sized eggs would produce more double yolked eggs than other sizes for obvious reasons. I've seen it, but I haven't had that many in one carton.

This is the scoop here - http://www.poultry.allotment.org.uk/Chicken_a/Chicken_Egg_Excess/double-yolk-eggs.php

I did read back a while ago (not here) where someone had all dozen of their eggs as double yolked. Maybe with 1 in 1000 you should play the lottery
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2012 10:12 am
@chai2,
All kidding aside, I eat a limited amount (5-6/wk) of eggs (Eggland's Best which are loaded with B-vits and omega), yokes included. That being said, I consider that eggs offer a lot of positive nutrients along with the negative addition of high cholesterol. (High protein, amino acids..etc.). When I want added eggs in my diet, I eliminate the yokes.

Please pardon the tangent but...

Here's some useful medical and nutritional info from world-renowned Mayo Clinic:
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cholesterol/HQ00608

"Chicken eggs are high in cholesterol, and a diet high in cholesterol can contribute to high blood cholesterol levels. However, how much the cholesterol in your diet can increase your blood cholesterol varies from person to person. Although eating too many eggs can increase your cholesterol, eating four egg yolks or fewer on a weekly basis hasn't been found to increase your risk of heart disease.

When deciding whether to include eggs in your diet, consider the recommended daily limits on cholesterol in your food:
If you are healthy, it's recommended that you limit your dietary cholesterol to less than 300 milligrams (mg) a day.
If you have cardiovascular disease, diabetes or a high low-density lipoprotein (LDL, or "bad") blood cholesterol level, you should limit your dietary cholesterol to less than 200 mg a day.

One large egg has about 186 mg of cholesterol — all of which is found in the yolk. Therefore, if you eat an egg on a given day, it's important to limit other sources of cholesterol for the rest of that day. Consider substituting servings of vegetables for servings of meat, or avoid high-fat dairy products for that day."

FWIW, in my family there's a pretty bad history of heart health. upon blood tests for lipids, I've been advised what I need to do to maintain the lower readings of bad Ldl and good Hdl. What I've choose to do for balance is to maintain regular exercise and eat almost-zero amount of red meat. About once per year I might have a tasty (organically-raised) steak. I eat more cold-water fish like fish farm-raised salmon and sardines, etc.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2012 10:34 am
@chai2,
So if he ate 4 double-yoked eggs omelettes, then he consumed somewhere in excess of 1000 - 1500 mg of cholesterol in one sitting.
Setanta

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2012 10:37 am
@Ragman,
Cool . . . i envy him . . .
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2012 10:42 am
I buy jumbo eggs as well, but I've never had that many doubles.

I buy them because I like 3 eggs omelets which I can make with two of the Jumbos.

Then I can pretend I have cut back on my egg consumption. Razz
~
There used to be some number of cents difference between Large and Extra Large which made one of them the better buy..... if the difference was less than XX cents you bought the bigger eggs because then they would be cheaper by the pound or something.

I just figure I'm going to buy a dozen eggs anyway, so why not?

Joe(bwaack)Nation
chai2

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2012 01:11 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

So if he ate 4 double-yoked eggs omelettes, then he consumed somewhere in excess of 1000 - 1500 mg of cholesterol in one sitting.

and he saw his cardiologist last Friday, all cholesterol levels excellent, heart in better shape than it was 15 years ago.
Reyn

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2012 01:35 pm
@chai2,
The chickens were on steroids!
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2012 01:39 pm
@chai2,
Seriously? Mazel tov. He's a lucky man. My point was simply that this was a very big amount of cholesterol at one sitting.

Based on my own family history (and at the advice of my cardiologist and primary-care doc), I make 2 egg omelettes.
chai2

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2012 02:09 pm
@Ragman,
No harm, no fowl, ragman.

groan.
Ragman

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2012 02:13 pm
@chai2,
You get a feather in your cap for that one! I gotta fly.
0 Replies