Question about a kind of car called Trabant

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2013 04:32 am
"When we left Budapest in 1994, Russian and East German autos chugged along its streets. One, the Trabant, powered by a mix of oil and gas, spewed so much pollution building façades crumbled. Feri drove a truck called a Barkas, a classic piece of East German technology which always broke down. "

In this paragraph. what does "building façades crumbled" mean?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 7 • Views: 1,053 • Replies: 10

View best answer, chosen by Justin Xu
roger
  Selected Answer

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2013 04:36 am
@Justin Xu,
It's a humorous exaggeration. Buildings don't really crumble from automotive exhaust fumes. At least, not in short periods of time.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2013 04:36 am
@Justin Xu,
Quote:
fa·cade [fuh-sahd, fa-] Show IPA
noun
1. Architecture .
a. the front of a building, especially an imposing or decorative one.
b. any side of a building facing a public way or space and finished accordingly.

The pollution helped weaken and deteriorate the front's of the buildings until parts started breaking off and falling down.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2013 04:53 am
@roger,
Roger, I don't believe they're talking short periods of time or entire building facade failure either. Then again, we're talking about Soviet Union buildings which must have used horrible building materials and that the pollution was only a contributing factor.
roger

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2013 04:59 am
@tsarstepan,
I think they're making fun of the Trabant, in the same way some exaggerate the corrosive effects of a particularly nasty fart.

I might agree with you except for the inclusion of the breakdowns of the Barcas truck, or whatever it was. It really sounds like they are describing Soviet era vehicles more that the effects of vehicular pollution.

That's my opinion, but I'm sure somebody will be along to straighten us both out.
Setanta

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2013 05:10 am
Why would one assume that the buildings in Budapest were built by the Soviets, and why would anyone assume that the Soviets could not reliably construct buildings? The aesthetics of their architecture may have left much to be desired, but i know of no reason to assume they were not competent builders. That claim reeks of cold war rhetoric.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2013 08:12 am
@roger,
Guy waks into a repair shop and says "can I get a side mirror for a trabant?"

Guy behind the counter says, "sounds like a fair swap."
0 Replies

saab

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2013 08:28 am
Trabant models and prices in Euro

http://www.mobile.de/modellverzeichnis/trabant/
raprap

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2013 09:06 am
In Robbie Coltrane's series "Planes and Automobiles" Coltrane single handedly dismantled a Trabant with a pair of pliers, a flatblated screwdriver, and a crescent wrench in 23 minutes.

Rap
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2013 04:27 pm
@saab,
Why, that's less than the scrap metal price. They do contain metal?
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2013 04:55 pm
A lot of East German buildings had crumbling facades caused by the effects of pollution, but I seem to recall it was acid rain from the lignite fired power stations and factories, not the Trabants.
0 Replies