Which is correct or better, 1 or 2?

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2013 10:23 pm
(In 2050, A2K has grown up to be the biggest forum in the internet. President of A2K speaks in the celebration:)

1) I want to thank all the speakers and performers for reminding us, through song and through word, just what it is that we love about A2K.

2) I want to thank all the speakers and performers for reminding us, through songs and through words, just what it is that we love about A2K.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 712 • Replies: 11
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2013 11:55 pm
@oristarA,
Number 2...It reminds, and takes into account all the differences...But togetherness...That would make A2K what it is in 2050...Since there is so much diversity right now....Let alone in 2050....(high speculation, but most likely will be true)

oristarA

Reply Fri 18 Jan, 2013 12:14 am
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
Why "through songs and through words" is better?
roger

Reply Fri 18 Jan, 2013 12:19 am
My mind is still boggled at a 70 something Craven de Kere accepting an award for anything.
0 Replies

XXSpadeMasterXX
  Selected Answer

Reply Fri 18 Jan, 2013 12:30 am
@oristarA,
Because the plural...(s) Implies that there is much more diversity...That helped cultivate the existence of A2K...Over the many, many years...To be as world known as you have said in your original question...

If you said word...Or song....

It sets A2K on more limits...And is saying that it is based upon word and song alone...

Which it probably would not be restricted to that alone if it is that famous in 2050....

In fact, if it is....The speech would probably contain many things that A2K will have in it...Over the many, many years....That may be incorporated into A2K, and the internet....That do not even currently even exist yet....

But it terms of just the question you have asked...The more diversity that is implied and incorporated into a speech of something that is that well known...and has done so much...Is better, and more accurately describes this website...So long it is not an untruthful statement....Which they are not...There are millions of words...And thousands of songs that help cultivate the diversity of A2K that makes it as great as it currently is....

If you say word and song...It does not imply as much diversity....

And if A2K grows that famous in 2050....It is going to be millions and millions of different words that made it what it is....As well as thousands and thousands of songs....And probably many, many more things...Including videos...Pictures...And things that do not even exist yet...Or things we have not harnessed....and such...
0 Replies

XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Fri 18 Jan, 2013 12:40 am
@oristarA,
More specifically....If you say song and word....It points directly to one song, and one wording post in mind....

Which does not incorporate everyone...

Or all the many different ones...That many people see differently...To help cultivate its famous existence though diversity...Over time...

Because there is not one wording post...Or song that everyone who is here would personally relate too...

But many, many different ones...Of both...

However, upon making a speech about everyone and the diversity...I would think it would be cool to say something like it all started with one man's dream, one man's determination...and one man's courageously first post in one Robert Gentel....Because if he had not done what he wanted to do for us...There would be none of us here....And no A2K in 2050...
JTT

Reply Fri 18 Jan, 2013 08:09 pm
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
Quote:
More specifically....If you say song and word....It points directly to one song, and one wording post in mind....

It doesn't do that at all, SM. This is a very common phrase which often describes multiple events over long period of times.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 18 Jan, 2013 08:11 pm
@oristarA,
Quote:
through song and through word

To me, "through song and word" sounds the most natural, in the sense of most common, Ori, but that doesn't mean the others are excluded.
Ceili

Reply Fri 18 Jan, 2013 08:19 pm
@JTT,
I agree.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Fri 18 Jan, 2013 08:27 pm
Actually, I've been thinking about it and trying to winkle my way through, and maybe "through song and words" sounds best. Either of ori's formulations would be acceptable, as well as mine. I can't think of a general rule to choose. We talk about "sports"versus "the sport of baseball";the Brits talk of "sport" to cover all of them. There's "the word of god", "word of mouth", "send word when you know", but speakers usually use a lot more words than singers since there's no music getting in the way. There's the "Folk Song Society of Greater Boston", the phrase "flk song and dance". The world of artistic dance is called "dance", not "dances", it's "ballroom dance". I suspect the answer is different for different speakers, and it's a question of whichever sounds better to one's internal ear, and that will differ.
oristarA

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2013 01:02 am
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Quote:
through song and through word

To me, "through song and word" sounds the most natural, in the sense of most common, Ori, but that doesn't mean the others are excluded.

Excellent!
Such usage has been well used along by the world-class translator, Moss Roberts, English professor of Columbia University.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2013 01:08 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:

Actually, I've been thinking about it and trying to winkle my way through, and maybe "through song and words" sounds best. Either of ori's formulations would be acceptable, as well as mine. I can't think of a general rule to choose. We talk about "sports"versus "the sport of baseball";the Brits talk of "sport" to cover all of them. There's "the word of god", "word of mouth", "send word when you know", but speakers usually use a lot more words than singers since there's no music getting in the way. There's the "Folk Song Society of Greater Boston", the phrase "flk song and dance". The world of artistic dance is called "dance", not "dances", it's "ballroom dance". I suspect the answer is different for different speakers, and it's a question of whichever sounds better to one's internal ear, and that will differ.

Wonderful!
Barack Obama has exactly used "song and words" there as you said here!
0 Replies