Our most powerful gun lobby cannot change the subject!

Paules

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2013 12:52 am
Our most powerful gun lobby cannot change the subject! Now they say as if every school here, in America, needs armed guards (www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2012/12/25/), and then our nation can stop shooting like the horrific massacre in Newtown, Conn.
Certainly it is nonsense! There is no difference at all in whose hands guns will be in our schools. It is absolutely clear that any armed guards may make our schools only more dangerous, not less! There is, surely, only one way to reduce our awful rate of gun violence: to ban arms sale in America! But our gun lobby will never go to it because this profitable business makes it powerful, of course! As to us and security of our children, then there is no secret to anyone here that all of us are only pawns in their games!

oralloy

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2013 02:14 am
@Paules,
Paules wrote:
There is, surely, only one way to reduce our awful rate of gun violence: to ban arms sale in America! But our gun lobby will never go to it because this profitable business makes it powerful, of course!

No. The reason you don't get to do that is because it would be unconstitutional.

You forget that Americans aren't serfs. We actually have rights.
raprap

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2013 03:35 am
@Paules,
Look Dude! Take a deep breath and chant the official NRA mantra.

"More Guns! More Guns! More Guns!

A Gun in every pot. Two Guns in every garage!"

Rap
RABEL222

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2013 02:45 pm
@raprap,
You forgot guns dont kill people ect. ect..
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2013 07:50 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
You forget that Americans aren't serfs.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Ceili

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2013 08:06 pm
I don't understand how the NRA with, at best, a membership of 5 million has the pull it does in the US. That is barely 1% of population. I'd venture a guess that there is an equal amount of teachers and that this number pales in comparison to parents who, by all rights, should have much larger voice in this battle than professional industry shills.
oralloy

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2013 09:00 pm
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:
I don't understand how the NRA with, at best, a membership of 5 million has the pull it does in the US.

We all vote. And we all vote based specifically on this issue. More than a few of us use NRA/GOA endorsements as the deciding factor in who we will vote for and against in every race of every election.

And most of us are in rural congressional districts, where we have more than enough numbers to swing the election results for those districts. The political parties need those rural districts if they want a majority. Therefore they need us.

Ceili wrote:
parents who, by all rights, should have much larger voice in this battle than

Ultimately it is the US Constitution that has the largest voice.

Even if parents were to somehow get an unconstitutional law passed, the courts would just strike it down.

Ceili wrote:
professional industry shills.

That's part of why you don't understand the NRA's power. The NRA represents their members, not "the gun industry".

All that nonsense about the NRA representing the gun industry is just propaganda.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2013 09:02 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:
oralloy wrote:
You forget that Americans aren't serfs.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

???

Seems factual and straightforward. Is there a problem?
KnivesSwitchblade

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2013 10:08 pm
Hello Members,

Hands guns in schools for what, I am confused what is your problem?

Thanks and Regards,
Knives Switchblade
oralloy

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2013 10:36 pm
@KnivesSwitchblade,
KnivesSwitchblade wrote:
Hands guns in schools for what,

For lawful self defense.

KnivesSwitchblade wrote:
I am confused what is your problem?

Lack of broadband availability. I can't instal WOW anymore. Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2013 10:50 pm
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:

I don't understand how the NRA with, at best, a membership of 5 million has the pull it does in the US. That is barely 1% of population. I'd venture a guess that there is an equal amount of teachers and that this number pales in comparison to parents who, by all rights, should have much larger voice in this battle than professional industry shills.
There r many millions more gun owners, for personal defense, than there r NRA members.
Thay can vote in defense of their rights of self defense
and thay have DONE SO many times, to the acute distress of the Democrats.

David
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2013 07:13 am
@oralloy,
10 Reasons The U.S. Is No Longer The Land Of The Free

Below is today’s column in the Sunday Washington Post. The column addresses how the continued rollbacks on civil liberties in the United States conflicts with the view of the country as the land of the free. If we are going to adopt Chinese legal principles, we should at least have the integrity to adopt one Chinese proverb: “The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names.” We seem as a country to be in denial as to the implications of these laws and policies. Whether we are viewed as a free country with authoritarian inclinations or an authoritarian nation with free aspirations (or some other hybrid definition), we are clearly not what we once were. [Update: in addition to the column below, a later column in the Washington Post explores more closely the loss of free speech rights in the West].

http://jonathanturley.org/2012/01/15/10-reasons-the-u-s-is-no-longer-the-land-of-the-free/
JTT

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2013 07:16 am
@oralloy,
US drops to 18th most economically free country

At its pinnacle in 2000, the United States ranked second in the world for economic freedom. In the latest report on world economic freedom from the Fraser Institute, the U.S. has now dropped all the way down to 18th, falling behind countries like Bahrain, the United Arab Emirates, Estonia, Taiwan and Qatar.

The decline did not happen overnight. “This entire decade we’ve been sliding towards this 18th ranking,” report author Joshua Hall explained to The Daily Caller News Foundation.

By 2005, the United States had already dropped to eighth in economic freedom. In 2009, the U.S. fell behind welfare state countries like Denmark, Finland and Canada.

http://dailycaller.com/2012/09/19/us-drops-to-18th-most-economically-free-country/
FBM

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2013 10:36 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

Paules wrote:
There is, surely, only one way to reduce our awful rate of gun violence: to ban arms sale in America! But our gun lobby will never go to it because this profitable business makes it powerful, of course!

No. The reason you don't get to do that is because it would be unconstitutional.

You forget that Americans aren't serfs. We actually have rights.

Precisely. They would have to amend the Constitution to do anything remotely similar to that, and that's not going to happen. Not anytime soon, anyway. The best thing is to take whatever legal measures that are (politically) available to try to keep guns out of the hands of killers and idiots who don't know how to use them safely.
H2O MAN

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2013 10:44 am
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

US drops to 18th most economically free country

Obamanomics is working as planned.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2013 10:45 am
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

10 Reasons The U.S. Is No Longer The Land Of The Free

Obama and 9 of his democratics
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2013 10:46 am
@KnivesSwitchblade,
KnivesSwitchblade wrote:

I am confused

Obviously
0 Replies

hazeltonlowell

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2013 12:44 am
@oralloy,
The reason we have the right to bear arms is because our forefathers knew that the gov. might need to be overthrown by force of arms. The U.S. gov. is one of the most vicious, immoral, kidnapping, bunch of murdering filth that ever existed. They let people live in the street, starve, and die from lack of affordable health care while they blow 500 billion $ destroying and then rebuilding a nation that was never even a threat to this country. The only thing worse than the federal gov. are the disgusting garbege who think they deserve to exist.
0 Replies

hazeltonlowell

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2013 12:58 am
@FBM,
I don't understand why anyone is even talking about increasing gun control. Do any of you know how incredibly easy it is to make a fertilizer bomb? Does anybody even remember Timothy Mcveigh? Remember how he was extensively psycho-analyzed and nobody could find any trace of mental illness or defect. Remember how the Oklahoma attorney general's office decided not to prosecute him for the 160 state murders he commited? Thank God that very angry man in conecticut used guns in his attack and didn't build a bomb and kill everybody.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2013 01:14 am
@Paules,
Paules wrote:
As to us and security of our children,
then there is no secret to anyone here that all of us are only pawns in their games!
When I reached the age of 8,
I attended to my own security by arming myself with a .38 revolver.
I remained secure. I was not a pawn,
nor had I any interest in corporate prosperity, at the time.

I am energetic in reminding my representatives in government
that my support of their political careers acutely depends
upon their being ACTIVE in opposing any gun control bills.

David
0 Replies