Our most powerful gun lobby cannot change the subject!

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2013 01:22 am
@Paules,
Paules wrote:

But our gun lobby will never go to it
because this profitable business makes it powerful, of course!
Lobbying is DEMOCRACY IN ACTION.

I 've done it a lot, to defend my freedom.

David
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2013 01:29 am
@FBM,
FBM wrote:

oralloy wrote:

Paules wrote:
There is, surely, only one way to reduce our awful rate of gun violence: to ban arms sale in America! But our gun lobby will never go to it because this profitable business makes it powerful, of course!

No. The reason you don't get to do that is because it would be unconstitutional.

You forget that Americans aren't serfs. We actually have rights.

Precisely. They would have to amend the Constitution to do anything remotely similar to that, and that's not going to happen. Not anytime soon, anyway. The best thing is to take whatever legal measures that are (politically) available to try to keep guns out of the hands of killers and idiots who don't know how to use them safely.
YEAH, the same as we took alcohol,
marijuana & cocaine out of their hands, so now thay don 't have it any more.

David
FBM

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2013 01:54 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Yeah. Good point. There's not much way to keep somebody from doing something if they want to do it badly enough. Rescind the Second Amendment entirely and you'll have people making Sten guns and the like.

I'm not confident about the idea of total deregulation, but given the reality of the American context, maybe the only thing that would make a potential shooter think twice would be the knowledge that somebody would be shooting back within seconds of his/her first shot. But that brings about its own can of worms. Hell of a fix we're in.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2013 01:07 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
Lobbying is DEMOCRACY IN ACTION.

I've done it a lot, to defend my freedom.

You've also lobbied and helped scum bag folks [which makes you one of them] take away the rights and freedom of your fellow Americans.
0 Replies