What's the meaning of "crystalized" as in "feelings crystalized"

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2013 06:07 am
" Mom never talked about Ellen. She didn't ask any meaningful questions about our meeting. She didn't understand Ellen's importance to me, and the relationship hurt her. Tee dealt with that hurt through silence: the kind that says more than words.
Her feelings can be summarized in the question she asked Nancy when I wasn’t around, the same one she had asked me months before: “Susan still loves us, doesn’t she?”
My feelings crystalized around a short cruise Mom and I took together in February 2011. This was four months before my diagnosis, and a few weeks before my trip to New Orleans with Nancy, when I consciously admitted to myself for the first time that I probably had ALS."

What's the meaning of "crystallized" in the last paragraph?
I'm not sure about what "my feelings" are. The feelings toward "my mother" or the feelings toward "my disease"?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 768 • Replies: 1
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by Justin Xu
Setanta
  Selected Answer

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2013 06:39 am
I am also not certain what feelings the author refers to, although i suspect it is her feelings about Tee, about her mother. I say that because she had not yet been diagnosed with ALS, nor admitted to herself the likelihood that she had that condition. The passage is awkwardly written.

Crystallized in this usage is figurative (there is a chemical definition which is actual rather than figurative) means to come together, to become clear.
0 Replies