What's the meaning of "walk" in "a three-day walk for breast cancer research"?

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2013 07:42 pm
"So hard, I backed away. I put on my journalist’s hat, divested myself of emotion and simply copied down the information about my birth mother. She's a retired nurse. OK. A gardener. Fine. A racquetball player. Loves to travel. (So that’s where I got it! ) She had just participated in a three-day walk for breast cancer research. She had a daughter who urged her to find me."

In the last sentence, does the word "walk" really mean "walk" as in "go out for a walk"? Why walk for a research?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 635 • Replies: 3
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by Justin Xu
roger
  Selected Answer

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2013 07:51 pm
@Justin Xu,
To participate in these walks, or runs as the case may be, you are supposed to line up sponsors. These sponsors make a committment to pay a particular charity so much money for each mile walked.

For walks, there is usually a specific distance, like 5 or 10 miles. Charitable bike rides and runs are usually longer. A three day walk sounds a little extreme, but if she did it, she did it.
MontereyJack

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2013 07:53 pm
Somebody, usually a charity, will sponsor a "walk" to raise money, for example a 10K Walk (1oK=10 kilometers). People who think that charity is a good group will pledge a certain amount of money to walk 1K or 2K or the whole ten. They may also go out and ask their friends, or their church, or the company they work for, to sponsor them, and pledge a certain amount of money for their walking. Then on the agreed day, over the agreed course, you may get tens or hundreds or thousands of people walking to raise money for the charity. Yes, it is in fact a walk (sometimes charities do runs too, and yes, people run in those(or if they don't run, they may in fact walk anyway)). It's a social thing, people talk to those around them as they walk, they may walk in a group with family, kids, or neighbors. The sponsors will often include a tchotchke for participating, like a T-shirt with a logo of the race on it, or a pin, maybe some yougurt at the end. You walk to do something good, get a little exercise, get some sun, have a good social time.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2013 07:57 pm
@roger,
There are questions about all these walks regarding how much money ever goes to help anyone.

I mention this as the whole 'think pink' (the aspect for promotion, pink ribbons everywhere) is not universally taken as good for people dealing with breast cancer.

There are probably many links on this.

I've had breast cancer. I'd rather see a donation to either a local hospital or a research hospital cancer research department. And then go run around.
0 Replies