H2O MAN

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2013 05:22 pm

The term gets thrown around by everyone especially the anti-American Obama-nuts and the
media, but none of them can define exactly what an assault rifle is... so, what is an assault rifle?

H2O MAN

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2013 05:29 pm

While your at it, what is a lawful gun owner?
Foofie

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2013 08:38 pm
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:

The definitions, in my opinion, are in a state of flux. Right now it might reflect a respective states definition by its gun laws. However, if the Federal government decides to join the semantics, the definitions could be standardized under federal statute.

I would sooner want to understand what are the legal uses of a gun, if one owns a legal gun. Meaning, if someone was in the midst of burglarizing a home, is the homeowner in his/her legal rights to shoot an unarmed burglar? This might be different in many states. Be that as it may, it appears to me that most situations are not dramatic enough (aka, violent) to warrant using a gun against an intruder in many states laws. The retort would be that the intruder has a gun too. Well, what happened in Australia when ALL the guns were gone? How did people feel safe from thoughts of pillaging/marauding strangers? I would like to know how Australia is faring with no guns, before I believe that guns are the only answer to one's safety.

And, if guns were gone, I believe men can pretty well protect themselves. Meaning, maybe only women should become legal owners of guns? Have there been any mass shootings done by women?

H2O MAN

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2013 08:52 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

H2O MAN wrote:

The definitions, in my opinion, are in a state of flux.

Meaning, if someone was in the midst of burglarizing a home, is the homeowner in his/her legal rights to shoot an unarmed burglar?

No it's not and yes, unless you live in a liberal democrat city/state it's legal to shoot an intruder. Armed or not.

Let's stick with the USA, the situation in Australia is totally different and it has no bearing what so ever on what's happening here.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2013 09:21 am

All of you anti-gun, anti-freedom mouth breathers are totally clueless about firearms.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2013 09:29 am
@Foofie,

Foofie, wouldn't you agree that a dead intruder is a good intruder?
H2O MAN

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2013 10:55 am

Do mouth breathing anti-freedom liberal democrats consider this an 'assault rifle'?

http://www.athenswater.com/images/Enhanced-Guide-Gun_EGG.jpg
BillRM

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2013 11:49 am
@H2O MAN,
Quote:
Do mouth breathing anti-freedom liberal democrats consider this an 'assault rifle'?

Very Nice looking lever action rifle.

Footnote any firearm product before 1898 is not consider a firearm under Federal law and there are some damn nice lever action rifles from that period that would hold their own with any modern rifle in rounds fired per minute and numbers of rounds before needing to reload.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2013 02:47 pm
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:

Foofie, wouldn't you agree that a dead intruder is a good intruder?

Not if his relatives will sue the homeowner for everything they may have for unwarranted murder.

Plus, while I am not Catholic, I believe there is a certain concept in Catholicism regarding charity, whereby if someone has two winter coats, and someone else has no winter coats, the coatless person should be able to have one of the two coats from the two coat owner. It's just a concept, I believe; however, that means that there are people that have a different concept of personal property, based on need. So, if an intruder is ready to take that which he needs for himself or family, there are people that might say that does not warrant killing the person, since life is more precious than inanimate objects.

But, to answer you original question that was a leading question, in my opinion, I'll answer the question by saying that a "good intruder" is a repentant intruder that apologizes for his intrusion, and offers to get Chinese food nearby, so we can break bread together, so to speak.

Do you know how many people intrude on my thoughts with idle talk, or intrusive behavior. If intrusion was dealt with lightening bolts from divine retribution (for intruding on Foofie's thoughts), many people would be dead for intruding into my day. So, in my opinion, intrusion is not just into one's home. Many posters even intrude into one's posts. Perhaps, you did just that with your post above. Your pennance is just reading my reply.

In my opinion, you are a product of the world you have lived in, and it placed a very high value on having one's own "toys" to play with throughout one's life.

By the way, on radio there was a caller that pointed out that the military has an annual health assessment form that specifically asks if one owns guns, and if so, how many, and how they are kept. It might just be that the military is ahead of the civilian population in recognizing that guns are for wars, and private ownership should be part of one's personal record. Apparently, the civilian population may be behind the times.
BillRM

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2013 03:36 pm
@Foofie,
Quote:
Not if his relatives will sue the homeowner for everything they may have for unwarranted murder.

To be alive to worry about being sue is far better then having a home invader killed you and the rest of the family.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2013 03:59 pm
@Foofie,
In the case of the Loganville, GA woman, the criminal was armed with a steel crow bar (a lethal weapon). He broke into her home and searched high and low for her and her twins. She exercised her god given right to defend herself and her children. Fearing for her life and the life of her children she also exercised her constitutional right to use lethal force to defend herself and children.

We need to accept that evil is real and that we have the right to defend ourselves and others from it with guns.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2013 09:49 pm

"The number one myth is these are machine guns. They're not machine guns. They're semi-auto, meaning I pull the trigger one time, I get one bullet," said Jeff Serdy of AJI Sporting Goods near Phoenix.

The Gun Debate: What makes a gun an assault rifle?

Serdy is among those who claim the features that allow these guns to qualify as "assault" weapons have little to do with how deadly they are. They include "a telescoping stock, pistol grip, ability to accept a magazine, and a flash-hider."

0 Replies

trying2learn

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2013 12:09 am
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:
... but none of them can define exactly what an assault rifle is... so, what is an assault rifle?
idk and am still waiting to know.
roger

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2013 12:32 am
@trying2learn,
I don't know either. At one time, I recall a Congressman, Mario Biaggi trying to define a bullet proof vest as a machine gun. I guess it depends on who writes the definitions.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2013 06:50 am
@roger,
Origianally, assault rifle was just the English translation of the German word "Sturmgewehr" ...
http://i45.tinypic.com/2rwxrp5.jpg
... StG44 (1943).
H2O MAN

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2013 07:33 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Origianally, assault rifle was just the English translation of the German word "Sturmgewehr" ...
http://i45.tinypic.com/2rwxrp5.jpg
... StG44 (1943).

Congratulations WH, you have posted a picture of what most would consider the be the original 'assault rifle', but you haven't defined what a an 'assault rifle' is. The definition is key to understanding what the differences are and why they are so important.

Right now WH, is light years ahead of Feindstein and her ilk.
H2O MAN

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2013 08:58 am
http://www.olegvolk.net/gallery/d/43599-2/partisan_girl_4306web.jpg
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2013 09:47 am
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:
... a picture of what most would consider the be the original 'assault rifle', but you haven't defined what a an 'assault rifle' is.
What does the other part, whose not "most" consider to be the original Sturmgewehr? The Mkb 42...
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/4c/Maschinenkarabiner_42W.JPG/320px-Maschinenkarabiner_42W.JPG ... was - it's in the abbreviation - Maschinenkarabiner.

A Sturmgewehr (which translates to 'assault rifle') is what the name says, too.
H2O MAN

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2013 09:53 am
@Walter Hinteler,

Aside from the name, what are the particular characteristics of the Sturmgewehr that make it an assault weapon?

Walter Hinteler wrote:

What does the other part, whose not "most" consider to be ???

The under informed think every gun is an 'assault weapon'.
When it come to correctly identifying guns, senator Feinswine is the poster child for the under informed
Foofie

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2013 10:02 am
Just my guess, but one of the concerns about mental health and gun use might at some point adopt some definition of a gunnish addiction, so a person that exhibits great thought/discussion about the benefits of guns, and its related activities, might one day be considered addicted to a gunnish culture, and require intervention by whoever, to address the gunnish addiction. Just a thought/guess.

Note that sugar, fats, salt are currently being touted as addictive in the health community. So is tv, computer use, and other technical devices.

In other words, when someone has a gun for self/family protection, does that become secondary, if the person spends inordinate amount of time at a gun range bonding with other gun owners? In other words, is a gun range, for some, the newest equivalent of the miniature golf course in its hey day? And, perhaps, that correlates to addictive behavior?

I would like to know what percentage of gun owners, that frequent gun ranges, have visited a library recently to take out a book that is not about guns, or conservative politics? In my opinion, mental health correlates to a "balanced" emotional life.

Is it possible that gun ownership, while it can have many normal people in its demographic, might attract a certain type of highly emotional, paranoid types that are knee-deep in persecution conspiracy theory beliefs? And, if so, is there a correlation between those folk, and a person that goes postal? In my opinion, this needs to be studied, since an ounce of prevention was always worth a pound of cure.

I also believe that holding a gun for too long, like some other objects, can grow hair on one's palms. Could these objects have an unconscious similarity in one's psyche?