H2O MAN

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2013 10:03 am

Laughing Maybe Foofie and Feinswine should get a room together.

Idiots!
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2013 10:30 am
@Foofie,
Quote:
I would like to know what percentage of gun owners, that frequent gun ranges, have visited a library recently to take out a book that is not about guns, or conservative politics? In my opinion, mental health correlates to a "balanced" emotional life.

LOL and I mean LOL and you should visit a few guns ranges as you will find mostly middle class males of the same order as people who have others hobbies.

Let see as I go to a publicly own outdoor range a lot so at that range shooters there consist of a lot of law enforcement people as they do not need to pay to use the range and from there the shooters consist of the normal world of the middle class.

Similar to the people you run into in ultralight flying, skydiving or in the old days computers clubs.

For some strange reason there are a lot of firemen who are into skydiving and to a lesser degree Ultralight flying.

In any case, in all my decades of going to gun ranges I never ran into a one dimensional person who live and breath guns only.

Suggest you go to a range that offer firearm handling courses and guns rental and see for yourself.

Footnote not only will the range instructors and range master be keeping an eye on a new gun user but the whole range will be monitoring you and helping you to make sure you do not do anything unsafe and will cheerfully talk to you on the subject of firearms just like at any other hobby group.
H2O MAN

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2013 10:37 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Quote:
I would like to know what percentage of gun owners, that frequent gun ranges, have visited a library recently to take out a book that is not about guns, or conservative politics? In my opinion, mental health correlates to a "balanced" emotional life.

LOL and I mean LOL and you should visit a few guns ranges as you will find mostly middle class males of the same order as people who have others hobbies.

In any case, in all my decades of going to gun ranges I never ran into a one dimensional person who live and breath guns only.

If I ever encountered a one dimensional person who lives and breaths
guns I would probably alert some of my law enforcement friends.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2013 10:48 am
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:

Aside from the name, what are the particular characteristics of the Sturmgewehr that make it an assault weapon?
Obviously you really don't get it: it got that name ... because it's a Sturmgewehr (assault weapon): a relatively light multi-purpose, semi- or full-automatic rifle ...like the AK-47, G 3, AR 15/M 16, AK 74, HK50/G36 etc etc today.
BillRM

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2013 10:54 am
@H2O MAN,
Quote:
If I ever encountered a one dimensional person who lives and breaths
guns I would probably alert some of my law enforcement friends

I do not know about that but I do know that everyone get nervous if anyone come into a range and or a gunshop and is acting even slightly out of tune or off color.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2013 10:56 am
@Walter Hinteler,
You can't tell us what specific attributes an assault weapon has can you?

You don't know do you?

It's obvious that you fear the facts because they go against what you think you know
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2013 11:04 am
@H2O MAN,
You have no idea what I know about military weapons, the history of weapons and/or the use of weapons.

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2013 11:05 am
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:

It's obvious that you fear the facts because they go against what you think you know
Really? I'm sure that you've got the expert badge ... in nonsense-writing Laughing
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2013 11:15 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I know this; I know you don't know what the hell you are talking about
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Fri 18 Jan, 2013 02:22 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Suggest you go to a range that offer firearm handling courses and guns rental and see for yourself.

Footnote not only will the range instructors and range master be keeping an eye on a new gun user but the whole range will be monitoring you and helping you to make sure you do not do anything unsafe and will cheerfully talk to you on the subject of firearms just like at any other hobby group.

a) I had to qualify as a marksman each year I was in the military (four years), and I still have no interest in guns, since I live in an urban area where the people that might have a gun, I do not identify with their world-view most likely. Actually, I sort of look down on their world-view and persona, and try not to interact with them.

Also, since qualifying for marksman required one to hit a silhouette target of a human being, I considered this necessary, since we could find ourselves protecting a base from Viet Cong during our enlistments. However, to be at a gun range, and aiming at a silhouette target, I have to wonder who that target might be in one's mind? And, whoever it might represent, I do not want to spend my existence feeling that my life is in a veritable wild west existence where my "hobby" is protecting myself from "the bad guys." A sad commentary on the 21st century and life in America if that was my focus, in my opinion.

b) I do not consider firearms a hobby. It lost its sportsman like quality, in my opinion, when guns got telescopic sights. I can see archery as a hobby; more sportsman like qualities, again in my opinion.

c) In a country where people say a gun is needed for hunting, or protection (if one lives on the side of a road, in certain states that allow for gun ownership), then I find it difficult to include "hobby" as a reason to have a gun. That is like saying "intercourse" is a hobby; needed for procreation, but one might question the person that says it is a hobby, in my opinion.
watsreallygood

Reply Fri 18 Jan, 2013 02:37 pm
This is an AR-15 assault rifle being shot by an extremely sexy girl lol

but assault rifles are usually semi automatic and fully automatic firearms that are capable of holding large clips and firing several rounds accurately at a range much further than a handgun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OD3C1eDrgVQ
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2013 07:33 pm
@Foofie,
Quote:
. However, to be at a gun range, and aiming at a silhouette target, I have to wonder who that target might be in one's mind?

I do not know perhaps someone that had just kicked in your door in the middle of the night and looking to rob and kill you and after raping the wife killing her also.

I
Quote:
do not consider firearms a hobby. It lost its sportsman like quality, in my opinion, when guns got telescopic sights. I can see archery as a hobby; more sportsman like qualities, again in my opinion.

Scopes have nothing to do with most handguns and even laser aiming are rare on handguns nor do you need to used sights on rifles if you do not care to do so.

But then very long range shootings IE thousands of yards even with scopes are enough of a challenge to be consider a sport in most anyone eyes.

Quote:
I find it difficult to include "hobby" as a reason to have a gun

My wife and I both enjoy shooting at a range and competing with each other as did my father and mother when I was growing up.

Whatever your feelings are fine for you but those feelings does not control others.

BillRM

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2013 08:20 pm
@Foofie,
Quote:
It lost its sportsman like quality, in my opinion when guns got telescopic sights.

By the way the above does not make any kind of sense as there been scopes available for rifles for over a hundred years or more in fact I think there was some scopes for rifles during the civil war but I will need to google that to be sure.

Quote:
http://www.riflescopesprosblog.com/2011/05/01/the-old-history-of-rifle-scopes/

The very first documented rifle scope was invented between 1835 and 1840. It was made by Morgan James out of Utica, NY. An engineer by the name of John R. Chapman wrote a book about Morgan James producing and experimenting with the rifle scope. Working together they produced the “Chapman-James Sight”.

Many other brands that were being produced by different people began to pop up around the same time some with greater lenses and powers between 3X and 20X. They were also able to improve the windage and elevation adjustments. They were becoming so good in fact that scopes that were produced by Mr. L.M. Amidon from Vermont were the standard scopes used during the Civil War..
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2013 09:48 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Quote:
I find it difficult to include "hobby" as a reason to have a gun

My wife and I both enjoy shooting at a range and competing with each other as did my father and mother when I was growing up.

Whatever your feelings are fine for you but those feelings does not control others.

Considering that maintaining one's ability to hit a target, can be based on the perceived need to keep one's shooting ability up to snuff, in context of the hazard of living amongst humans, some good, some perhaps dangerous to one's home and hearth, then it might be conceivable to include changing the battery in one's smoke alarm every six months as a "hobby"? Fire too can be a hazard, one needs a defense against.

The used smoke alarm batteries can be put up on a mantle, as one's trophies for defeating the hazard of a home fire.

You sense my sarcasm, I would guess. Any hobby that requires me to pump more adrenaline into my bloodstream, is not a healthy, or perhaps, in my opinion, not a mentally healthy hobby. My opinion of course, based on the world I grew up in, which I believe is somewhat different from the world of fellow gun enthusiasts, I suspect in subtle, yet important ways. That's why I associate with only those folks that do not subscribe to gun ownership.

I see shooting a gun sort of like riding a bicycle; one never forgets how to do it. And, living in a world where continually practicing the art of deadly self-protection is just too depressing for me to subscribe to. I just can't see it as a worthwhile way to spend my time in this existence.

But, you obviously have to be you, in context of the world you live in.

P.S. Considering the Second Amendment was written to prevent a tyrannical government from taking over, then based on today's military technology, perhaps civilians should share the costs of part ownership in a tank, or airpower? Gun ranges can expand into military exercise ranges? Just my sarcasm again. Sorry.
BillRM

Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2013 10:57 am
@Foofie,
Quote:
Considering that maintaining one's ability to hit a target, can be based on the perceived need to keep one's shooting ability up to snuff, in context of the hazard of living amongst humans, some good, some perhaps dangerous to one's home and hearth, then it might be conceivable to include changing the battery in one's smoke alarm every six months as a "hobby"? Fire too can be a hazard, one needs a defense against.

Nonsense as for whatever other benefits target shooting happen to had it is an enjoyable hobby for many millions of people.

Quote:
P.S. Considering the Second Amendment was written to prevent a tyrannical government from taking over, then based on today's military technology, perhaps civilians should share the costs of part ownership in a tank, or airpower? Gun ranges can expand into military exercise ranges? Just my sarcasm again. Sorry.

Jets and tanks are tools for fighting wars and when a government try to use those weapons against their own citizens they run the very real danger that not only will such orders not be follow but the soldiers will turn them on that government instead of their fellow citizens and family. See the results of ordering tanks to surround Moscow city hall during the break up of the USSR.

Next you do not rule a country with tanks or enforce laws with tanks you need police to do that and right now the armed citizen outnumber all law enforcement by a hundred to one.

0 Replies