Does the author mean shooting the bear a fun here?

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2013 08:27 pm
"To the north was an open white field, with benches at the side.
And above a vast expanse of sky for Mother Nature to paint on.
That first night the winds whooshed so much we could not build a fire, and we passed the hours inside the cabin, around a black wood-burning stove, glowing orange.
Tacked up on a cabin wall were pelts of fox and bear, the bear shot on the property (a fun fact I really didn't need to hear.)
On another wall was a world map where light seekers pinned their hometowns, some as far away as Tahiti, South Africa and New Zealand. A wooden bench with pillows ringed the cabin. There was a snack bar with 10 different kinds of hot tea, coffee and hot chocolate, cookies, chips, and marshmallows. "

I don't understand the parenthesis part. Why a fun? Why I don't need to hear?

View best answer, chosen by Justin Xu
PUNKEY
  Selected Answer

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2013 08:34 pm
The bear was shot near the cabin (on the property the cabin was built on). The idea that there might be bears near the cabin makes the author uncomfortable. He really didn't want to hear that.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2013 08:39 pm
@Justin Xu,
Don't take it literally. It's meant to be a sarcastic remark.

The first-person narrator (NOT YOU THE READER) is telling the reader that he didn't want to learn those particular details about the dead animals displayed in the cabin.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2013 09:04 pm
@Justin Xu,
The author was being facetious.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2013 03:00 am
As others have pointed out, "a fun fact" is sarcasm. The signal point is that the bear had been shot on the property, near the cabin. The author would rather not have known that bears came near the cabin.
0 Replies