What does "kerplewy" mean here when describing keyboard?

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2013 05:10 am
"For more than a year, I had been struggling, improvising solutions for my failing health.
When I could no longer lift my laptop, I asked other people to get it out of my bag, place it on my lap and open it for me.
When my precise keyboard choreography went kerplewy, and my ‘inky finger would no longer reach the 'p’--I began to hunt-and-peck. "

The author is a journalist, and she got ALS.
There is no such a word "kerplewy" in my dictionary. @hat does the author mean here?
Why is her finger inky?
Does "hunt-and-peck" mean whenever she types a letter, she looks down to find the right place, and then presses the key?

View best answer, chosen by Justin Xu
Region Philbis

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2013 05:23 am
@Justin Xu,

i've seen it spelled kerflooey -- it means it wasn't working correctly...
her finger could be inky from writing with a pen that is leaking ink...
hunt-and-peck means she has to look at the keyboard to see where the keys are...
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2013 05:25 am
@Justin Xu,
"Inky finger" is her cutesy way of saying pinky finger.
Setanta
  Selected Answer

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2013 05:25 am
Kerplewy is onomatopoeia--a sound word. Onomatopoeia or sound words are meant to approximate the sound a certain event or action causes. Kerplewy is meant to sound like something blowing up, exploding. I personally think this is not a good use of the word. He means that his ability to touch type, to type on the keyboard without looking at the keys, began to fail him. When he writes "my precise keyboard choreography" he is referring to the ability to touch type, to place one's fingers on the keyboard and hit the appropriate keys without looking at the keyboard--which is exactly what i am doing right now. So he is using kerplewy to mean that that ability failed him. As i say, i don't think kerplewy was a good word to have used.

"When my precise keyboard choreography went kerplewy, and my ‘inky finger would no longer reach the 'p’--I began to hunt-and-peck. " The term pinky finger refers to the small finger at the side of the hand. If one is touch typing on a "QWERTY" keyboard, the small finger on the right hand is the one which types the letter "p." By writing 'inky finger, he is making a sight joke showing that he now has trouble typing the letter "p"--it should have been pinky finger. Hunt and peck refers to people who look at the keyboard to find the letter they want, and use only one finger of one hand, or one finger of each hand, rather than all eight fingers and the thumbs.

Usually, the term is pinkie finger, not pinky finger (note the difference in the spelling). I have read that this comes from a Scots word for something small. So the smallest finger is often called the pinkie finger.
dlowan

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2013 05:27 am
@Justin Xu,
It's a cute way of saying that as her illness progressed she lost the ability to type properly.

Kerplewy is slang.....it means when something is destroyed or goes badly wrong....has an undertone of something exploding.

"The TV suddenly went kerplewy and we had to buy a new one."

Edit: the others got in while I was typing that!
0 Replies

Justin Xu

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2013 09:38 am
@Setanta,
Full of interesting knowledge. Thank you very much!
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2013 10:13 am
@LionTamerX,
LionTamerX wrote:

"Inky finger" is her cutesy way of saying pinky finger.

It's her 'inky' finger' because she cannot type a P.

Does the OP understand what a pinky finger is?

Joe( first finger, middle finger, ring finger and pinky)Nation
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2013 12:26 pm
From my childhood, KERBLOOEY was an onomatopoeia found in balloons in kid's comics, from the same stable as BOOM and BAM, and if in conversation something "went kerblooey" or perhaps more exactly went "kerblooey!" that meant it exploded. Her keyboard skills exploded (went to pieces suddenly and dramatically). As with all unofficial words, spellings vary.

I see it is still current

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-_tdi0uH66t8/UKtOAqCMPqI/AAAAAAAAFd8/WiO1QCVaxH4/s1600/kerblooey.jpg

0 Replies