What are "New Agers"?

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2013 11:56 pm
"We shared a love of adventure and had travelled abroad, including Hungary and Peru. We visited Macchu Picchu on the summer solstice in 1997 and were surrounded by California New Agers. (It’s, like, the sol-stice, man.) The Californians kept whining that the food was not organic."

I don't understand the bracket part, and I'm not quite sure about the meaning of New Agers. Are they the people who advocate things in the new century?

View best answer, chosen by Justin Xu
roger

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2013 12:14 am
@Justin Xu,
New Agers are big on spooky stuff like crystals, aroma therapy, spiritualism, and stuff like that.
Justin Xu

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2013 02:09 am
@roger,
Thank you roger, but how about the bracket part. What does the author mean? Something related to New Agers?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2013 02:21 am
New Agers are people with a vague, fuzzy belief in mystical powers and events. The solstice--which refers either to the longest day of the year, the summer solstice, or the shortest day of the year, the winter solstice--is presented here as a significant event. The California New Agers are suggesting that visiting Machu Picchu (the author misspelled the name) on the solstice is more significant than visiting it on any other day.
roger

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2013 03:17 am
@Setanta,
Thanks, that one had me stumped. I still wonder why the word was hyphenated.

Some very primitive peoples had worked out quite accurate ways of determining the solstices. They were more like early astronomers than new agers.
Setanta

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2013 03:21 am
@roger,
I think the hyphen was to suggest the pronunciation of the new age dweeb. "It's like . . . the sol-stice, man . . . "

The solstices, as well as the equinoxes became very important after humans developed agriculture. Even before then, knowing when game would migrate through your area was important, but for planting and harvesting, it became crucial. Plant too soon and you risk losing your crop in the ground. Plant too late and you risk losing your harvest in the field.
0 Replies

Justin Xu

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2013 04:52 am
@Setanta,
Thank you Setanta, but what about the sentence in the bracket? That's the major problem for me. Why there is a comma following every word? Or have you answered this question but I failed to notice that?
Setanta
  Selected Answer

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2013 05:00 am
@Justin Xu,
I did answer that question, but it may not have been clear. This California "New Ager" is claiming that the solstice is a more significant day on which to visit Machu Picchu. The sentence in the parentheses ("(" and ")" are the marks for parentheses--"[" and "]" are the marks for brackets) is a rather clumsy attempt to approximate the speech of this California New Ager. Where you see a comma in that sentence, imagine the person who is speaking pauses. Personally, i would use different punctuation to indicate the slow speech of this joker: It’s . . . like . . . the sol-stice . . . man. It is a stereotype of how "new agers" or "hippies" speak.
0 Replies