Mini dachshund difficulty breathing

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2013 05:54 am
I have a mini dachshund who had undergone treatment for lymphoma and is on prednisone as a maintenance drug. In the last 2 weeks he is having difficulty breathing to the point that it sounds as if he has complete nasal congestion on inhale and exhales through his mouth. It has been more frequent and is becoming rather concerning. We have tried nasal drops and he is on a antibiotic treatment.

DavJohanis

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2013 06:04 am
@Alworadish,
Unless someone else posts, I think it is back to the vets for this one.
Could possibly be that the meds are interfering with the clear up of fluids, in conjunctive use or alone.

If death is imminent, if they just send you home.. a last resort which is conceivably bad advice, is to place a boiling water bowl with a towel over it on the floor with a small portion of bleach mixed in and let the dog breath it.. it might allow a clear up and a 'cough out' temporarily.

Tested on myself, lungs cleared up a bit. (heavy smoker).

Again, I know this is bad advice, but it is advice none the less.

Questions are no doubt - does it hurt?
No, it mildly feels odd. (a two or three minute spell at pure bleach in say.. 1 part to 100 water)
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2013 06:04 am
@Alworadish,
Sorry to hear your dog is having serious health issues. If I were you, I'd bring the dog back to the vet ASAP. Do not wait. Please do not listen to any non-medical BS ramblers. (Having your dog inhaling bleach is insanity!)

There's is no way for anyone who is responsible to offer such medical advice.

I wish you and your dog the best of health.
DavJohanis

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2013 06:13 am
@Ragman,
No ragman, if you might prefer the slowly fading breaths of your dog, to a choice, that is your option.

I would watch for chest raises getting lower by a margin of 50% or more and try it. (that is a non-medical guess, your bang on about that).
Perhaps find out if the clogging is related to fluid or buildup rather than constriction first, but my dog would damn will be forced in any event.

Insanity is the alteration of energy to raw states of pain, the evidenciary value according to the world is irritated reaction.

I think you mean to say 'crazy'.
But that is for some other guy who does not think that a dog can have any chair it chooses, in my 'crazy' home.
Ragman

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2013 06:18 am
@DavJohanis,
Quote:
if you might prefer the slowly fading breaths of your dog, to a choice, that is your option.

I advised the OP not to wait and bring the suffering dog to the vet immediately. You apparently are in some hallucinatory state because what I offered was prudent responsible advice.

Your repeated rambling posts make little or no sense. Your advice is acutely dangerous to a suffering canine lover. That about raps it up for me.
jcboy

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2013 06:19 am
@Ragman,
I agree, if he’s on an antibiotic treatment and not improving it’s time to take him back to the Vet.
0 Replies

DavJohanis

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2013 06:23 am
@Ragman,
How can you deem it acutely dangerous to be saving a life?
If the lack of potency might be the issue?
Particularly if the dog is of regenerative age and any damage scars mildly and repairs?

I am not lying to you... It does not hurt and it does not 'not repair'.

Might I ask if anyone thumbs down with a reason, rather than shock please?
Also the fouls are getting ludicrous.
DavJohanis

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2013 06:43 am
@DavJohanis,
Please do note that slight long term oxygen intake damage is noted, but it is only slight and it does kick start phlegm release at a deeper level.

Oh and Ragman, sorry, the way I said 'no' was actually immediate response to issue, not a condescension.

My sincere apologies as to how that looks.

I really shouldn't bother, you are ignorant to the levels we go to, that your government will not, because of your attitude.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2013 07:07 am
@DavJohanis,
DavJohanis wrote:

Might I ask if anyone thumbs down with a reason, rather than shock please?
Also the fouls are getting ludicrous.

This thread has been viewed over 85 times. People don’t thumb down for shock value, they will thumb down if they don’t feel you’re giving good advice.
DavJohanis

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2013 07:09 am
@jcboy,
So thumbs are again emotional.. I must remember to ignore them, sorry.
Alworadish

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2013 08:17 am
@DavJohanis,
The Vet flushed his sinus cavities and do not see a significant amount of discharge. I also noticed a thick, opaque mucous at the back of his throat this morning. Does that limit the causes or narrow the possibilities? It seems like the problem is located in his throat, not the nose.
DavJohanis

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2013 08:31 am
@Alworadish,
Perhaps ignore me then, it seems (and I do mean 'seems') that the problem is possibly not stemming from an uprising, but I do not know about lymphoma, only symptoms and clearing the mess.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2013 08:36 am
@Alworadish,
Sorry for the dog's suffering and your discomfort. However, the questions should be directed to the vet. No one here is a vet. For the most part, this is forum of laymen, like yourself.

Even a vet were here, as a responsible professional, they'd have to see the dog in person, as opposed to diagnose from remote.

Wishing you the best!
0 Replies