hello.....pls help me to use below confusing sentence for me...

youdruk

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2013 02:53 am
"I am going to have worked"

"I will have worked"
above two sentence is confusing me.......

Setanta

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2013 03:17 am
"I am going to have worked" sounds awkward to me, and is not something which i would expect a native speaker to use, although i can't say thta it's wrong. "I will have worked" is what i would expect to see if one uses the future perfect (click to see an explantion).

The future perfect is a means of expressing something which will take place in the future before another future even takes place. I will have worked all day next Monday before i find out the results of my review. The person speaking is saying that one future event will occur (working all day on Monday) before another future event occurs (learning the results of the review).
youdruk

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2013 03:49 am
@Setanta,
Setanta!
thank you for explaining Mr Setanta.......even its awkward to me ...some of my friend told me that "going to" is used for future .Thats why i asked.for instance=
we are going to market.

Setanta

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2013 07:06 am
@youdruk,
"Going to" is indeed a way of expressing futurity--it's just not one i would use in the future perfect. I didn't say it's wrong, just something i don't think you'd hear a native speaker say.

Your example, "I am going to the market," is a poor example. It could express what you are doing at the moment. Someone stops you as you are walking down the street to ask you what you are doing. You say: "I am going to the market." That is not something in the future, that is what you are doing right now. "Going to" to express futurity will always be followed by another verb: "I am going to be at the party." In that case, "going to" expresses futurity because it is followed by "to be at the party."
JTT

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2013 06:58 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
Your example, "I am going to the market," is a poor example. It could express what you are doing at the moment. Someone stops you as you are walking down the street to ask you what you are doing. You say: "I am going to the market." That is not something in the future, that is what you are doing right now. "Going to" to express futurity will always be followed by another verb: "I am going to be at the party." In that case, "going to" expresses futurity because it is followed by "to be at the party."

A good example of the blinkered thinking that illustrates the substantial risk in having inexperienced people advising ESLs/EFLs.

Youdruk's example is fine as an expression of futurity.

The present continuous is often used to express futurity. That's why it's called present continuous/present progressive for the future.

A: What are you doing today, Alice?

B: I'm going to the market, I'm going to the office for a few minutes, I'm going to the florist, then I'm going to play tennis.

Even without the adverb 'today', with someone momentarily headed off to the market,

A: I'm going to the market. Do you want anything?

would be as common as,

A: I'm going to go to the market. Do you want anything?
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2013 04:48 pm
I can be going to the market in the present, can't I? It's a ten minute journey from my house; I set out five minutes ago; I'm roughly half way.
JTT

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2013 09:18 pm
@contrex,
Quote:
I can be going to the market in the present, can't I?

Yes, of course you can, C.

Quote:
It's a ten minute journey from my house; I set out five minutes ago; I'm roughly half way.

It doesn't have to be 5 minutes into a ten minute journey. You could be heading out the door, which would pretty much make "I'm going to the market" present continuous.

But that doesn't negate that it can be a future - it is very common for planned future events. Using 'will' for these sounds odd, very officious;

I will play tennis on Wednesday.
contrex

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2013 02:40 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:
Using 'will' for these sounds odd, very officious;

I will play tennis on Wednesday.

Oddness and officiousness have a tendency (a propensity, even) to reside in the ear of the hearer. It may sound odd where you come from, even 'officious', but it doesn't sound either where I come from, whether or not 'I will' becomes 'I'll' as is often the case.

JTT

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2013 07:52 pm
@contrex,
Quote:
Oddness and officiousness have a tendency (a propensity, even) to reside in the ear of the hearer.

Not really, C. While there certainly are forms that are natural for BrE, I wasn't addressing that particular issue at all.
0 Replies

youdruk

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2013 10:22 pm
@Setanta,
i don't know how to write here properly but i am writing here by thinking that it may acknowledge you something that i willing to know something you ............i have been planning to learn English language from some institution to know how to learn and speak like them who are using Eng language in their day to day life.......it really feel nice to me when someone spoke Eng language....i am from poor family i recently knew about able2know.....therefore pls show me the ways to learn English language any insitution environment......or whatever you have any idea...
0 Replies