how do i convince her to move

jrice94

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2013 12:33 pm
My girlfriend is 5'5 blonde hair blue eyed southern belle with that famous Southern accent who moved to Chicago. This fall I'm attending USC out in California. Since she and I want some sense of normalcy being on the other side of the country i asked her to come with me. She isn't going to school because of money issues. I can't stand the thought of her and i being separated, i asked her. She is hesitant being that far from home and being in a whole new city. I told her that we could live off campus together and told her that " You could show off the bikini body that only pales in comparison to your sweet Southern charm" to which she smiles and rolls her eyes. We've only talked once and i really want her to come with me. Suggestions?

nothingtodo

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2013 12:39 pm
@jrice94,
Clearly play the beauty and sun angle, play it out as a chance of a life time, Chicago? Vs that place?..
What?
Is this even a question?.. She got family by the bunch there or what?
That might get her to come after you, right?

Play it to death and she will think about it after you have gone.
Beach on demand, sun, happy life and health, watersports, vacations by the bucket load on a bus ride... No question.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2013 12:50 pm
@jrice94,
What is she supposed to do while you're in school? She's too young to sit at home and twiddle her thumbs. I'm making the assumption she's moving to USC to move into your apartment, right? Or are you asking her to move to another city, find a new place to live, find a job, new friends, etc...?

You're going to need to give far more then flattery and weather to get someone to make such a large commitment. You need to help her make a solid plan for life in California other then potential days for sunbathing.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2013 01:05 pm
@jrice94,
jrice94 wrote:
She isn't going to school because of money issues.

< snip >

Suggestions?

does she want to go to school? can you help her find scholarships that would allow her to go to university?

if she's not eligible for scholarships, help her figure out if there is a good job market for her in California
ehBeth

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2013 01:07 pm
@nothingtodo,
nothingtodo wrote:
Chicago? Vs that place?..

that's actually an interesting point, though I'd come down on the opposite side of this from nothingtodo. I'd rather live in Chicago than pretty much anyplace I've heard of in California.
jrice94

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2013 01:15 pm
@nothingtodo,
she moved to chicago with her dad, most family is back in Alabama
0 Replies

jrice94

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2013 01:19 pm
@tsarstepan,
I'm asking her to move to Cali, move in with me at SC and work wherever she wants to work
ehBeth

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2013 01:20 pm
@jrice94,
jrice94 wrote:

I'm asking her to move to Cali, move in with me at SC and work wherever she wants to work

I think you're going to need to do a better selling job than that. True love only keeps things interesting for so long.
0 Replies

jrice94

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2013 01:21 pm
@ehBeth,
we've talked about nearby community colleges since there are a lot in LA. If not than we're both sure that there would be a job opening at a department store or something along those lines
ehBeth

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2013 01:23 pm
@jrice94,
Have you (either/or) looked at the nearby college offerings and the costs? who is going to pay for her education?

What job postings have you (either/or) found online for her?

If she doesn't find a job, who is going to support both of you?
Ragman

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2013 01:25 pm
@jrice94,
Something seems missing from this picture for my understanding. How do you both expect to pay the rent, relocating fees, utilities and transportation? Rent is pretty high in LA. Also, people just out of high school don't go about moving in together and relocating into a city half way around the country with a boyfriend. I can't say this all seems too wise or thought out.

What do her parents and yours have to say?

Quote:
If not than we're both sure that there would be a job opening at a department store or something along those lines

Why do think that? It's just after the holidays so department stores and other retailers cut back ..not hire new hires.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2013 01:32 pm
How old are you two?

Are you a freshman?
Ragman

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2013 01:36 pm
@PUNKEY,
Here's an excerpt from his other recent post:

Quote:
"I go to a private school and my wonderful and beautiful girlfriend of 2.5 years goes to a public school."
0 Replies

jrice94

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2013 01:36 pm
@ehBeth,
we have an there are some pretty affordable comm. colleges (LACC or LA Southwest CC). She has some money in her savings for school, i'll pitch as much as i can. Jobs can be found on Craigslist ( not the best idea but it's a start). My parents are more than willing to help support us financially until we get it figured out
0 Replies

jrice94

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2013 01:38 pm
@PUNKEY,
18 , seniors
contrex

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2013 01:48 pm
@jrice94,
jrice94 wrote:
5'5 blonde hair blue eyed ... bikini body

The fact that you talk about her like this really suggests to me that you are somewhat immature; it may be that your girlfriend is beginning to realise this and perhaps that is why she is reluctant to move all that way. Her hair color and the fact that she looks OK in a bikini has precisely what relevance to the question?
PUNKEY

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2013 01:50 pm
@jrice94,
Sorry - but you are way to young for you to even ASK and way too young for her to commit to that kind of move.

Tough it out. Spend a year there and see how you deal with school. Then if you feel the same, start up the discussion.

Don't ask her to make this move. She is just too young.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2013 02:03 pm
@ehBeth,
I love Chicago and I love California more. I know Los Angeles well, lived there something like 43 years, five in Chicago area in later grammar school. USC is a good school, and, yes, expensive.

The Cal State campuses are also rather good, but there is, last I looked, a crush to get into them as they are having statewide financial challenges. I may not be up to date on the latest on that, and if you two are interested re her going to one of those, do some research.

The city colleges (junior colleges) are often good, Santa Monica being most appreciated, and that college is one of or the main junior college in the area to send graduates with A.A. degrees to UCLA, a fine university on the west side of town. In my time UCLA was tuition free, but not anymore.

Living around USC is tricky, as a bunch of the area around it is crime addled. My husband went to usc and lived his life until he met me in one very tough part of town, near the university.

I wish you both well, jrice - good fortune and happiness, however it works out.

On convincing her to move - I'm not much of a fan of trying to convince anyone to do anything. It's her life. Try not to manipulate her into a move. She will figure out what she wants to do, now or later on.

You might even end up doing some intermediate thing. She remains in Chicago and experiences life there, you go to USC and experience life there, and see what happens. You will have both tested yourselves in new environments and learned a lot, which is what being eighteen or nineteen is all about.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2013 02:04 pm
@jrice94,
Oh, by the way. Californians who are not newbies rarely call it Cali. There is much antipathy to that, including from me, she spits, while smiling.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=cali
0 Replies

jrice94

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2013 02:26 pm
@contrex,
she and i both know i'm joking