Frustrating, hilarious, diverse, changing: women's clothing sizes

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2012 03:15 pm
http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/design/2012/01/clothing_sizes_getting_bigger_why_our_sizing_system_makes_no_sense_.single.html#pagebreak_anchor_2

I find it even more frustrating, hilarious, diverse, and so on because I've shopped primarily at thrift stores for the last ten to twenty years, and the ages of the clothing there quite naturally reflects the diversity of sizing over different times.
On the other hand, one's choices aren't relegated to this years peculiar fad.

Comments?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 884 • Replies: 2
No top replies

nextone

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2012 07:31 pm
@ossobuco,
Not to mention the changes in body size.... OK won't go there.

Seems to be no consistency in size designation. Vanity, vanity , all is vanity.

Many years ago, I weighed around 120 lbs and wore size 8 or 10, usually 10, never liked tight fit. I wore moderately priced clothes, shopped at Macy's, Ohrbach's, May's, Aunt Sally's and Uncle Will's. I went with a more affluent friend to Sak's 5th Av. She was buying, I was playing. I tried on many very pricey dresses, and immediately went from a size 10 to a size 4.

ossobuco

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2012 07:46 pm
@nextone,
I remember that. I was an Ohrbach's fan - they had one, along with a May Company in LA's Miracle Mile area.

I went with a friend to a salon type dress and coat area in Saks once. That was an eye opener to me for many reasons. People bringing you clothes!! My friend wore shorts and was treated like a queen. And yes, the sizes were different from one type store to another.. probably still are.

I enjoyed that Slate article - I understand the nature of the confusion a little better after reading it.
0 Replies