I am Canadian, eh?

caprice

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 07:46 pm
I could be wrong, but I think he means Star Trek.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 07:51 pm
Yep.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 07:53 pm
I remember being in St Johns some years ago when a popular song on CNR has a line that went something like "but your still just a Newf in a Calgary hat" They took the ribbing in good humor.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 07:57 pm
I believe, I may be wrong but I think Alberta has the second highest population of newfies, or at least Ft. McMurray is the 3rd largest newfie city.

Just in case you're wondering a Calgary hat is a white stetson, cowboy hat. Edmonton's is black.
I'm not sure if any other city in Canada has an official hat, but the toque is probably the official canuck topper.

Data, ah yes, the android who never uses contractions.
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 08:32 pm
Ceili wrote:
I believe, I may be wrong but I think Alberta has the second highest population of newfies, or at least Ft. McMurray is the 3rd largest newfie city.

I can believe it. Several years ago I used to work as a lab assistant and we did a lot of drug screen collections as part of a pre-employment screen. Quite a few of the guys coming in had Newfoundland driver's licences, not to mention the Newfie accent. Wink
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 08:32 pm
Speaking of Canada, has anyone seen that Brent Butt show Corner Gas? I think it's hilarious.
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 08:37 pm
Haven't seen it, but read about it before it premiered. It sounded like it might be good, but I never got around to seeking out the time slot. CTV right?
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 08:58 pm
cavfancier wrote:
Nah, she had a similar experience in New York, georgebob. Here's a curious thing...how many people who are labelled 'Spanish' in the US are actually from Spain? I would guess not very many.

There are lots of people of all types here - even more variety than in Canada, though recent immigration has made you much more diverse than in the past. Generally we refer to people from Spain as Spanish and use Hispanic as a general reference to the very diverse Spamish speaking populations of South and Central America - and the States as well.

New York and LA are very, very different. Perhaps the fault is not where you assume.
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 09:02 pm
What?

*shakes head*
0 Replies

Turner 727

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 11:15 pm
cavfancier wrote:
Sorry, SCoates, I have no clue what you are talking aboot. Laughing (At least we know how to make our beer a proper strength).

Amen Brother! I may be american but I hate american beer. After some of the finer lagers that are around, american beer is little better than colored water.

Sigh. . .
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 12:19 am
Also,
Some people use "Spanish" in the sense of "Hispanic."
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 05:57 am
I am Canajun. Eh?
0 Replies