I am Canadian, eh?

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 11:50 pm
Well I don't know what canadians you talk to, but the ones i talk to don't sat aboot. We say about.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 11:52 pm
Oh, and it's not very patriotic of you guys to not be speaking american. You're american too. Hey, does it bug any canadians that we refer to ourselves as americans, as in "the only americans."
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 11:55 pm
We're to good to wanna be referred to as americans.
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 12:09 am
stand up for pessimism wrote:
Turner_727 wrote:
(or should I say, aboot?)

It's only "aboot" to you americans cause your accent doesn't pronounce the enlgish language right!!!!!

but we can spell english right Laughing
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 12:21 am
Actually most of you do say "aboot" (at least in Ontario). Canada is the second nation of hockey - not the first. Most of the hockey fans and players in North America are in the U.S.

Of course you value diversity over assimilation - you don't have the accepted national consensus for assimilation - here you are just making a virtue of necessity. The peacekeeping/ policing bit was an obvious dig at the U.S. We don't really give a damn, but why do so many Canadians feel the need to do this?

I didn't find the ad at all offensive, just odd - what's the big deal?
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 12:28 am
Policemen just harrass citizens in america. I absolutely hate the police. Of course, the police in russia are far worse. Remind me to share a story or two some time. I have some good ones.
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 12:29 am
pueo wrote:
stand up for pessimism wrote:
Turner_727 wrote:
(or should I say, aboot?)

It's only "aboot" to you americans cause your accent doesn't pronounce the enlgish language right!!!!!

but we can spell english right Laughing

Yes and so can I, just a simple error, it is late here in Canada don't you know.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 12:30 am
In russia you are required to have your "papers" with you at all times. Well, one time these drunk cops came up and asked me to show them my papers, and I had forgotten to take them with me. So I said "I have them, but you may not see them. If you have a problem with that I can give you the number for my lawyer." Of course, I was bluffing on two points, but it worked. I had a freind get kicked out of the country because he wasn't gutsy enough to lie to corrupt policemen.
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 11:01 am
Not offensive!
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 11:29 am
Well it's good to know that the few yanks who responded here weren't offended by the ad. I thought it was pretty funny myself, very tongue in cheek, and it really pokes more fun at Canadians than anyone else.

georgeob1: There may currently be more teams, etc. in the USA, but you are looking at it purely by the numbers.

According to the CIA website (I used a source you would accept. Very Happy), Canada's population (as of July 2003) is 32,207,113 whereas the population of the USA (also July 2003) is 290,342,554. Soooo, doing a little division, the population of the USA is just over 9 times that of Canada.

Okay, next I went to the NHL site to see how many pro teams there are (I have no way to determine ALL hockey teams, so let's stick with the pros) and found 30 in total. Of those 30, 6 are Canadian. Or, in other words, 1/5 of the NHL consists of Canadian teams. What it all boils down to is this: per capita, Canada has almost twice the teams as in the USA. AND...(although I'm only going by heresay on this) there are probably more Canadian born players in the whole NHL than there are American born players.

By deduction, Canada is the first nation of hockey. Mr. Green

And I disagree with your "a boot" commentary. Let me explain why. I lived in the USA for a few years and your "ear" gets attuned to the local way of speaking. When I returned to Canada, I must confess, I did hear a difference in how "out" words were pronounced, but it was subtle. It wasn't as bad as "a boot" by any means.

Also, I can attest to what standup said about "eh". I never hear it. The only people I am aware of who use it consistently are Newfies and sometimes from farmers.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 11:34 am
Why does everybody pick on Newfies?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 11:45 am
Because they are located in a remote area, and probably also because there are too few in the rest of the country to raise an objection. Last November, i attended a Portugee wedding with my Sweetiepie. The Bride was Portugee, and those folks party like it's 1499--they were a hoot. The Groom is a Newfie, and his guests seemed rather stunned, although when well lubricated, they joined in the fun.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 11:48 am
errr, Caprice, they do say 'eh' around here - quite a bit. and hanest ta gawwwd, and i need some caaaaffeeeee.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 12:06 pm
A doughnut, too, eh?
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 12:14 pm
I like Newfoundland, other than the driving which is horrible, it's an interesting place.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 12:51 pm
Actually the Newfies and other folks from the maritime Provinces are quite agreeable. The obnoxious minority is concentrated in Ontario in my experience. (where, despite the denials, they do say aboot and eh!)

Caprice has shown us that Canada is the #1 nation in hockey in the world, and, by an extention of the same logic, is the Southern Neighbor of the United States.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 04:51 pm
It does get tricky when you mix vowels like that. Few people realize it, but out "I" sound is actually a quick combination of "Ah" and "Ee." And "Y" as in "Yellow" is a quick combination of "Ee" and "Eh." "W" is "Oo" + "Uh" and so forth. So you, see, I think that proves that canadians are dumb.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 04:53 pm
Say that again using Roman Numerals.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 04:54 pm
Sorry, SCoates, I have no clue what you are talking aboot. Laughing (At least we know how to make our beer a proper strength).
0 Replies

margo

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 04:56 pm
SCoates wrote:
Hey, does it bug any canadians that we refer to ourselves as americans, as in "the only americans."

Not only bugs Canucks!
0 Replies