I am Canadian, eh?

cavfancier

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 05:08 pm
I like to look at it this way....remember Live Aid? So the Brits come up with "Do They Know It's Christmas" and America comes out with "We Are the World." I would say there are many nations pissed off with your country's arrogance! But that's okay. We Canucks are the forgiving type, and sneaky. The beavers are ready to attack, and there will be no pasties involved.
0 Replies

kirsten

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 05:40 pm
I remember my first trip to Canada, Montreal to be exact, when I was about twelve. We were visiting some friends of my parents who had children the same age. My Dad was into educational vacations back then. Well, I came back with a rosary (I'm not Catholic) after visiting a cathedral, and the ability to say a smutty phrase in French after getting to know the teenage son!
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 06:14 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
Caprice has shown us that Canada is the #1 nation in hockey in the world, and, by an extention of the same logic, is the Southern Neighbor of the United States.

You'll have to explain that, how the "same logic" makes Canada the southern neighbour.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 06:33 pm
The comment referenced your 'logic' on the hockey matter, not North and South.
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 06:45 pm
I should know better than to ask a male to explain himself. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 06:48 pm
Several, many years ago I was having dinner with very nice young lady from Texas and two friends of mine from Montreal. One of the Canadians said something about the USA being a foreign country and she objected.

The conversation went something like this:

"America isn't a foreign country for ya'll, ya'll are from Canada, right?"

"Yes, but Canada is another country you know."

"Not really."

"Um."

"People from Canada are just like us in America, you speak English and everything."

"Yes, but..."

"You know, not like Mexicans."

"Yes, but we are a separate nation, er.. what did you just say?"

"You think just like we do about everything and you don't knock us around like all those foreign countries do. So that make us the same."

"That's a very nice thought, but there's a lot about Canada that's not the same as the US."

"You say 'about' funny."

"Yes, we do, and that's just the start of things."
0 Replies

cavfancier

caprice, perhaps you should ask him to expose himself, rather than explain himself, and offer up a beaver tail as a reward. Laughing That just might work...he's probably never been to Ontario Place.
0 Replies

SCoates

We have trouble explaining ourselves, because most of our actions are entirely instict. So they don't require a lot of forethought, or at least not any organization thereof. May I site for example, when men are hungry, although we may think about it for some time, we don't plan very hard what we will do to sate this desire. We eventually yell for our wives to bring us something, or drive to the nearest arbies, for some beef.
0 Replies

unluckystar

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 06:56 pm
canada rox the sox and i luv 2 b canadian. the molson ads r just plain funny!! i have family in the us and they think so too (my mom is from the USA)

but bush is a freaking moron, does everyone agree?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 07:07 pm
I would say I'm fond of bush, but not Bush. When my wife was in L.A. recently, she went to one of Wolfgang Puck's satellite restos...well, she has olive skin and got the Spanish-speaking dishwasher for a waiter. He had no clue what he was doing. When her white friend showed up, all of a sudden, a clean-cut professional white waitress appeared. Hmm...all I know, that doesn't generally happen in Canada.
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 07:07 pm
cavfancier wrote:
caprice, perhaps you should ask him to expose himself, rather than explain himself, and offer up a beaver tail as a reward. Laughing That just might work...he's probably never been to Ontario Place.

*L*

I ain't "ABOOOOOT" to offer any 'merican a beaver part. They will get the wrong idea!

I don't know how the topic came up, but I recall a conversation with a co-worker (whilst living in the U.S.A.) and telling her the beaver was the national animal of Canada. She laughed. She didn't think I was serious. Very Happy

Okay....I just can't resist....I saw this on a web site. It's a bumper sticker. I know it's wrong of me. But...just....can't....stop....myself! Mr. Green

http://www.cynicalsunshine.com/images/wadya2.gif
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 07:08 pm
No.
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 07:09 pm
For real cav?? Boggles the mind! *L*

(See above bumper sticker again. Mr. Green)
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 07:15 pm
Just for you unluckystar! Very Happy

http://logo.cafepress.com/0/516660.gif
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 07:19 pm
Cav, perhaps they just recognized her as a Canadian, slumming in the backwoods of LA.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 07:26 pm
Nah, she had a similar experience in New York, georgebob. Here's a curious thing...how many people who are labelled 'Spanish' in the US are actually from Spain? I would guess not very many.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 07:32 pm
I have rarely heard a canadian refer to themselves as american, we just don't say that ever.
There are several 'accents' in Canada, in the west we don't have a problem with the pronunciation of 'ou' words, that's pretty much an Eastern thing.
I hear eh! all the time, I even say it on occaision.
Newfies are the warmest people on earth, salt of the earth, but they are easy to make fun of....They have a tendancy to add an 's' to their verbs when it's not needed.
eg. I loves him, I needs him and I wants him.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 07:34 pm
Wow, that's uncanny. Data was intentionally programmed with that exact grammatical flaw.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 07:43 pm
what's data?
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 07:45 pm
Ceili: You hear "eh" all the time? I rarely, if ever hear it! What end of town are you in? Me - north side.
0 Replies