Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2012 03:06 pm
Well, stands to reason, right?

Uh...right?




Hey, where is everybody?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 15 • Views: 6,444 • Replies: 158

 
djjd62
 
  1  
Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2012 03:12 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
sure, i picture this kind of situation

http://i.chzbgr.com/completestore/2011/4/3/201f8187-eec8-4cba-86b6-42c78f17bb13.jpg
0 Replies
 
edgarblythe
 
  1  
Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2012 03:18 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:

Well, stands to reason, right?

Uh...right?




Hey, where is everybody?


"Reason I use two guns, one don't shoot far enough."
Gary Cooper
roger
 
  1  
Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2012 03:29 pm
@edgarblythe,
And I carry a .45 cuz they don't make a .46.

To the main question, the solution is more for me and less for everybody else.
roger
 
  1  
Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2012 03:30 pm
@roger,
Okay, they now make a .50 revolver, but that's what they say, and both are too big for little ol' Rog.
Lustig Andrei
 
  1  
Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2012 03:34 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
I think giving side-arms to all the teachers in the all the schools is a teriffic idea. I mean, that would solve any potential disciplining problems a new teachers might have, right? Little sucker won't do what you tell him, why...

Oh, wait. That's not exactly the theory behind the NRA "plan", is it?
djjd62
 
  2  
Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2012 03:40 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
how about a teacher in every gun store
0 Replies
 
jcboy
 
  2  
Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2012 03:41 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
I never knew my father owned a gun until he passed away and I found a Smith & Wesson 357 locked in his safe.

I didn’t want it around so I called the local Police Department and they actually had someone come out and pick it up for disposal. That was back in California.
edgarblythe
 
  2  
Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2012 04:11 pm
@jcboy,
girl: (after shooting singer Sam Cooke to death) "I did it because I loved him."
0 Replies
 
roger
 
  1  
Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2012 05:40 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Giving a serious answer to a facetious post; there is no reason to think the fact of being a teacher makes one either more or less qualified to carry a gun and attempt to protect his students than anyone else legally qualified to purchase under federal law.

Some people are simply afraid of guns. Hand them one, and they'll treat it like it might bite. Tell them it's loaded and they are apt to drop it. I speculate that this group includes a fair number of teachers.
Lustig Andrei
 
  1  
Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2012 05:50 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:
there is no reason to think the fact of being a teacher makes one either more or less qualified to carry a gun and attempt to protect his students than anyone else legally qualified to purchase under federal law.


True enough. And likewise there is no reason to think that being a teacher makes one either more or less likely to snap and start to misuse the weapon in an inappropriate manner. That's something to consider when we recall where the teacher is likely to be if he gets this unnatural urge.
edgarblythe
 
  1  
Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2012 05:57 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
I believe where it is feasible there ought to be qualified individuals who can be placed where large crowds gather. That in addition to banning assault weapons and working to make people aware and care for the mentally disturbed.
Lustig Andrei
 
  2  
Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2012 06:03 pm
@edgarblythe,
Those of you who know me know that I've never been a gun-control advocate really. I've always owned firearms myself, including a number of handguns over the years. But the proposal that kids in school would be safer if their teachers were packin' heat is so ludicrous as to deserve nothing other than a satirical/ironic treatment.
edgarblythe
 
  1  
Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2012 06:07 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
I understand. Teachers would simply become targets. I was not thinking like that. - I do not advocate taking away people's guns, except the ones that can kill so rapidly and efficiently.
0 Replies
 
roger
 
  2  
Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2012 06:14 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Another point about carrying, whether teachers or otherwise, is that being known to be carrying might be perceived to confer an obligation to actually use it. Every situation is going to be different, and carrying openly might restrict one's options as surely as having no gun at all.

Thanks for a good thread, Andy. I visited one on a similar topic, and ended up scrolling past 90% of the respondents. I already knew exactly what they were going to say.
Frank Apisa
 
  1  
Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2012 07:02 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
I do not even pretend I know what is the answer...

...but "more guns" certainly seems bizarre as a guess.

I just posted a question that goes to the heart of this, though. Gonna go back...copy it...and post it here.
Frank Apisa
 
  1  
Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2012 07:03 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Here it is:

@ ALL

For all the people who think "more guns" is the answer to the general problem we are discussing, a couple of questions:

Imagine a room in which there are 100 people none of whom have a gun...and a different room in which there are also 100 people, of which 50 have guns.

All other things being equal, would you say the chances of someone getting shot in the latter room is greater or lesser than someone getting shot in the former?

Now...change the "50 guns" to whatever number you want until your answer does not become, the chances are greater of someone getting shot in the latter than in the former.

HINT: The chances of someone getting shot in the latter are much, much greater!

Tell us all the number of guns that must be contained in the latter room before the chances of someone getting shot in each room are at least equal.
oralloy
 
  0  
Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2012 07:27 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:
The solution to gun violence is more guns. Right?


Yes.



Lustig Andrei wrote:
Well, stands to reason, right?

Uh...right?


Yes, and yes.



Lustig Andrei wrote:
Hey, where is everybody?


Been on the main Connecticut shooting thread. But everything's about all wrapped up. Shortly after the NRA's speech on Friday, the House Democrats announced their decided lack of interest in passing any assault weapons ban. Cool

All they are even going to try for is the magazine ban (well maybe the gun show background check thing, but no other bans). Since then, the thread has mostly just been the bad guys pelting me with name-calling out of frustration.

Anyway, I just found this thread. But the answer to your question is an emphatic YES.

-----

Anyone else see the expressions on those poor FBI guys' faces?

http://www.collegian.com/wp-content/flagallery/27-killed-in-shooting-at-connecticut-elementary-school/swat.jpg

I've been looking over the weapons, and this picture sort of sticks with you.
0 Replies
 
oralloy
 
  1  
Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2012 07:34 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:
Okay, they now make a .50 revolver, but that's what they say, and both are too big for little ol' Rog.


.50 cal semi-auto handgun (roughly similar to .45 ACP +P energy levels):

http://www.guncrafterindustries.com
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.50_GI

275 gr JHP, 900 ft/s, 495 ft-lb
300 gr JHP, 860 ft/s, 493 ft-lb

Their full size Glock conversion has a 9 round magazine.
oralloy
 
  0  
Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2012 07:47 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:
Giving a serious answer to a facetious post; there is no reason to think the fact of being a teacher makes one either more or less qualified to carry a gun and attempt to protect his students than anyone else legally qualified to purchase under federal law.

Some people are simply afraid of guns. Hand them one, and they'll treat it like it might bite. Tell them it's loaded and they are apt to drop it. I speculate that this group includes a fair number of teachers.


Presumably if a teacher were carrying a gun, they would be certified with a CCW permit, which they voluntarily applied for.

There might be some teachers who would refuse to carry, and others who would.

My main concern is bad guys in body armor. We need more than just teachers with handguns in holsters. Some assault rifles locked in a cabinet in the principal's office are probably also in order.
 

Related Topics

 
  1. Forums
  2. » The solution to gun violence is more guns. Right?
Copyright © 2021 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/21/2021 at 03:16:07