Should "he points, out tend to" be "he points out that they (movies) tend to..."?

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2012 11:29 pm

Context:

“When we see movies about wars they are always glorious,” he says. Electronic games, he points, out tend to desensitize young people about killing others.

“The question is: are we inadvertently making them immune to the consequences of violence?”

More:
http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/2012/1220/Guns-in-schools-Sandy-Hook-rekindles-hot-debate-on-arming-teachers.-video/(page)/2
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 851 • Replies: 8
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
Region Philbis
  Selected Answer

Reply Fri 21 Dec, 2012 04:45 am
@oristarA,

the comma is in the wrong place...

Electronic games, he points out, tend to desensitize young people about killing others.
PUNKEY

Reply Fri 21 Dec, 2012 04:22 pm
@oristarA,
to "point out"means to give attention to.

She pointed out the red trim on the dress.

The tour guide pointed out the various churches.
contrex

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2012 01:13 am
@PUNKEY,
PUNKEY wrote:
to "point out"means to give attention to.

To point out something means to direct the attention of another person or persons to it.
0 Replies

nothingtodo

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2012 09:29 pm
@oristarA,
I have extensive experience in this matter.
Immunity to the notions of physical death of others, can in no way arrive entirely as a result of playing computer games unless a break from reality occurs in the subject.

Watching movies and identifying with the hero, counters this entirely... Immunity to the death of other physical presences arrives through two major avenues..

The first and most obvious is birth.. We are unaware unless taught, that other lives are incredibly relevant, or indeed that death of them is possible.

The second way is through desensitising, yes, though it is not as basic as that, nor is it as easy as often implied. Generally, massive factors of pain and/or hatred, often combined with attacks upon the subject are required to create it.

That this concept is applied in others minds to attitudal expressions of 'what needs fixing' as a break in reality, is not the flaw of those you witness, describing the point.

Application of the same values cannot apply in 'isolated' occurance outside the grasp of science, unless the entirety can be mapped and monitored.
SticklerEditing

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2012 12:26 am
@Region Philbis,
Exactly.

And yes, they do tend to desensitize people :-)
nothingtodo

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2012 03:10 am
@SticklerEditing,
You have experience of this?
How please?

I require to know, our test subjects had hoped soon the world would not have to do this yet again.

Desensitization happens from the cat under the bus wheels far far more, I know, do not test us with nonsense.

Also a point of fact seperate from our studies, is that the killing of a Chinese man, as relayed, results in quite the upset, where no games ever did. Desensitization has therefore been proven mute RE: 200o hours or more gameplay, on over 50 FPS games. (obviously we are not allowed by law to include the facts)

The argument you require to further YOUR particular cause, is that too much gaming results in social seperation factors in psychological terms quite often.
0 Replies

nothingtodo

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2012 03:29 am
@SticklerEditing,
And yes, I am sorry but I have to have it right...

We get bit in the ass too often, I am born into a wrong world and that hurts more.. when what you say, despite your right, is termed 'lunacy'.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2012 08:50 am
@nothingtodo,
nothingtodo wrote:

I have extensive experience in this matter.
Immunity to the notions of physical death of others, can in no way arrive entirely as a result of playing computer games unless a break from reality occurs in the subject.

Watching movies and identifying with the hero, counters this entirely... Immunity to the death of other physical presences arrives through two major avenues..

The first and most obvious is birth.. We are unaware unless taught, that other lives are incredibly relevant, or indeed that death of them is possible.

The second way is through desensitising, yes, though it is not as basic as that, nor is it as easy as often implied. Generally, massive factors of pain and/or hatred, often combined with attacks upon the subject are required to create it.

That this concept is applied in others minds to attitudal expressions of 'what needs fixing' as a break in reality, is not the flaw of those you witness, describing the point.

Application of the same values cannot apply in 'isolated' occurance outside the grasp of science, unless the entirety can be mapped and monitored.

Good point.
Aren't proper computer games used to training our soldiers? Faith in God/justice and reality ensures that desensitisation of violence will go on the right track, enhancing the fighting capacity against terrorists.
0 Replies