How can something come from nothing?

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2021 07:50 am
@TruthMatters,
TruthMatters wrote:

It's great that you admit it.

One does not "admit" they do not know something they do not know. They acknowledge it.

I hope you get to the point where you acknowledge it also.

Quote:

We have to, go on things KNOWN!

I'll accept that for the purposes of this discussion.

So...go.

What is something you KNOW that impacts on what has been said here?
0 Replies

Jasper10

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2021 03:39 am
@TruthMatters,
Truthmatters....sound philosophy says that we have no choice but to go with Boolean logic as in 0,0...0,1...1,0...1,1 logic output possibilities. It doesn't matter how you reason Boolean logic it always ends up with output possibilities because its a "caged" logic system.........it just comes down to personal belief systems after that based upon the evidence that is at hand (in the absence of definite proof).
bulmabriefs144

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2021 04:31 am
@Jasper10,
Or just sing this song.

Quote:
Maria: Perhaps I had a wicked childhood
Perhaps I had a miserable youth
But somewhere in my wicked, miserable past
There must have been a moment of truth
For here you are, standing there, loving me
Whether or not you should
So somewhere in my youth or childhood
I must have done something good
Nothing comes from nothing
Nothing ever could

So, somewhere in my youth or childhood
I must have done something good
Captain: So here you are, standing there, loving me
Whether or not, you should
Maria: So somewhere in my youth or childhood, I must have done something good
Both: Nothing comes from nothing, nothing ever could
Maria: So, somewhere in my youth...
Captain: ...or childhood
Maria: I must have done something...
Both: Something...good...

Amazing, a sappy romance song sums things up neater than most musings of so-called scientists, and still manages to be a sappy romance song.

But if you're still confused...
"Therefore God sends them a strong delusion, so that they may believe what is false, in order that all may be condemned who did not believe the truth but had pleasure in unrighteousness.” II Thessalonians 2:11

The reason you believe this is because you're deluded. You're literally trying to talk yourself out of a universe where you have to take some damned time to think about how and why things came about. You've left God behind, or you never knew him.

"Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only Son of God. And this is the judgment: the light has come into the world, and people loved the darkness rather than the light because their works were evil.” John 3:18

Anyone who believes in God is not condemned (I'd like to say no matter how big a screwup they ate, because God shows us the error of our ways) but the average nonbeliever makes excuses, because they think they can do anything they want.
Condemned already is a funny term. Atheists think they understand God and have this "wrath of God" mindset. Actually, they tend to be condemned by their own selves, God just gets out of their way because they've stated they don't want his help.

https://www.raptureforums.com/wendy-wippel/nothing-comes-nothingnothing-ever/

Quote:
There is a principle in scientific thinking (Ockham’s razor) that was developed by a thirteenth century clergyman and scientist named Ockham. The principal, in laymen’ terms says, "don’t assert what you can’t prove. " Today’s scientists, however (who apparently watched way too much Barney with their kids), have developed a different take on the ‘razor”, (a strategy to cut through data to arrive at truth). Their version? “Use your imagination….”.

The official renderings of Ockham’s razor goes like this: when multiple competing theories are equal in other respects, the principle recommends selecting the theory that introduces the fewest assumptions and postulates the fewest entities. In other words, keep it simple, stupid.

The problem is that today’s scientists don’t. Even toddlers intuitively get that things have causes. If there is suddenly a ball in the room, someone had to bring it in. Intuitively they know this at a very young age.

Okay, so apparently scientists have gone beyond dumber than a sappy children's song, and are now dumber than toddlers. How stupid will they get?

Quote:
And now, at the very least in theoretical physics, a lot of the science is actually not science but math. And translating the math into science that involves the universe and where it came from ends up inducing astrophysicists to use their imaginations. A lot. And they use them double-time in order to avoid having to imagine a righteous creator God.

So what do they imagine?

Quote:
In their own words.… “Based on the uncertainty principles of quantum mechanics and the general theory of relativity, … a quantum theory of gravity spacetime would consist of many small, ever-changing, regions in which space and time are not definite, but fluctuate in a foam-like manner.”

Areas otherwise known as “quantum foam”. Which was the brainchild of a guy named Alexander Vilenkin.

Alexander came up with the theory of quantum foam and hypothesized that this foam– made up of “virtual particles” (called that because, theoretically, they don’t stick around long enough to be real) could be the basis for a theory that would succeed in creating the universe without actually needing a creator. A Universe that had no prerequisites.

A universe made out of nothing.

Because for Velenkin and many of his colleagues, that was the only acceptable kind of universe to propose. A Universe that arose spontaneously out of absolutely nothing.

The theory, a little refined since then, is now called quantum tunneling.

And it goes like this: It has been previously demonstrated that particles may also have wave probability functions, and that these wave probability functions may occasionally extend over the front of a physical barrier in a way that exceeds its normal boundaries.

We can sort of visualize that, right?

And according to Alex, maybe…just maybe something similar happened that led to the origin of the universe. Maybe it was a probability wave function of quantum foam that existed at the beginning and the wave function exceeded its boundaries and..then, and then, well…

Shazaam! The explosion of the universe began.

All by itself.

Creating just the kind of universe Alex wanted. One without need of pre-existing conditions or starting materials. One made out of nothing!

One without need of a Creator.

Which I guess if you’re a gullible grad student you might buy into, although much of it doesn’t really make sense and requires a lot of using your magination.

And all the smoke and mirrors can’t quite hide the main problem, the universe Velenkin proposes doesn’t really arise from nothing.

Far from it.

Velenkin’s theory requires the laws of physics. It requires the energy fields, it requires the gravitational fields, and it requires the quantum foam.

It also requires a bubble within the quantum foam to pop to get things going.

Quantum...foam? Quantum foam.

Why is it, that whenever scientists mention the word "quantum" you know there's gonna be alot of fuzzy-headed crap? Quantum entanglement, for example, sounds like the sort of trippy **** you'd explain when you're high.

A completely real conversation between a couple wrote:
So like, once your body and my body touch each other, they're wrapped around each other and can't separate, even if I go over there (and sleep with that gal).
Oh Jimmy! You're sooooo romantic. And so smart!
Uhhhh yeah, of course I am. Remember, it's called quantum entanglement. I'll be thinking of you, honest (while I go sleep with her without your knowledge).

Funny how her molecules don't know what's been going down, huh.
Jasper10

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2021 04:40 am
@bulmabriefs144,
The reason I believe what exactly means I am deluded?….Boolean logic possibilities ?….I’m not sure what your point is….I’m not the Boolean logic possibilities…I’m just aware of them….all I have after that is a belief system due to the “caged” logic that the Boolean system is……not sure why you would have an issue with that if indeed you have…
bulmabriefs144

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2021 04:50 am
@Jasper10,
I never said you were deluded.

I responded to the latest post.

This is what we mean by alreadt condemned. You're being defensive as though I have accused you, when actually I'm responding to the prevailing sentiment.

You have a choice.

As you put it, it's a 0 or 1 choice.

You can believe the prevailing sentiment in this thread, that something comes from nothing. You will be deluded and condemned because it is blatantly obvious to people who study causality or theology that this leads to a dead end. Literally.
(0)

Or you can turn from this path, and know or remember that life has a purpose, that things were created, that you are not condemned. (1)

It's your choice. Creation (1) or nonbeing (0). On (1) or off (0).
Quote:
See, I set before you today life and prosperity, death and destruction.

I'm the most suicidal person you'll meet. But even I know there's a God.

Jasper10

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2021 04:53 am
@bulmabriefs144,
Apologies bulmabriefs144….just getting clarity…I’m sorry that you say that you are suicidal….why are you at such a low do you think?….tell me go away if you wish…
bulmabriefs144

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2021 05:28 am
@Jasper10,
I won't tell you to go away.
Not unless I'm literally in a blue funk, and then you'll know it's the depression talking, and not me actually wanting people to go. In fact, I worry about using those words, because it might happen.

One of two or three things sets me off.

Either I get into some theological dead-end where I think about something in particular (to be specific, I look at Genesis where it mentions leaving the garden of Eden (it's rather clear that Eden was the pre-existing spirit world we lived in before leaving God), and Jesus saying "whoever would lose their life will keep it" and conclude that maybe I'm throwing my life away by staying alive all this time. Something like that. I decide that maybe it's a sin that any of us are alive. It's basically a stumbling block I can't really resolve). Basically, I think about stuff, and it literally makes me crazy.

Or I just get frustrated with the fact that I seem completely unsuitable for both jobs and dating (and with COVID, everyone's become weird, and I don't want to work for anyone). In most cases, being a trans person means I got treated like a gay friend. Nobody actually loves me, and I have no one to love. I work not for money (which I regard as scraps of paper useful only to buy things) but to feel like I belong. Then I quit my job (well, got fired, but I got fired directly because I expressed sentiments against my boss, so same diff) and started working for myself. That went fine for awhile, but then the lady moved away, and I technically have one more person I could work for, but I just can't seem to muster the energy. I did have someone I was sweet on, but again she saw me as a friend, not a lover. And I honestly don't think I'm relationship material anyway. So it's kinda a loop that I'm stuck in, and miserable, but I don't see any desirable way out. I feel slightly happier when I'm around people tho.

It also doesn't help that I basically tried to stay alive one day, vowing to try to help at least one person before I go, and thus far I've not been able to help anyone. So on top of feeling like a failure by the world's standards, by my own standards, I haven't saved anyone.
Jasper10

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2021 06:16 am
@bulmabriefs144,
Anxiety and Depression is such an issue in these days bulmabriefs.....you are not alone......countless many including myself can sympathise with you on that score. Life isn't easy....hang in there.....

I am of the firm belief that if you seek sincerely/honestly then your seeking will be rewarded in the end..........don't give up.... someone may have already needed that one word/phrase/or sentence that you have already spoken or posted....or will do in the future...who knows?

Theological dead ends........... its interesting that you say that......it is also very frustrating at times trying to figure things out, I agree.....

In my opinion, we can think and reason too much. For me, theological reasoning is as much about balancing things out...both sides of the fence.... and then resting...............Being Still/Quiet and separate from the reasonings.

Try to consider the possibility that if you were never to think or reason again then you still would be..... (i am)..........you see it's only the thoughts that cause emotions.....and you are not a thought ...you just have thoughts....that is the best I can explain it..........everyone needs an anchor point or we remain a slave/prisoner to our thoughts/emotions which can lead on to anxiety and depression.....hopefully that makes a bit of sense....
bulmabriefs144

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2021 06:30 am
@Jasper10,
I think the most profound answer I got was one Sunday.

Folks were mostly away. I was at home watching a televangelist. I had read earlier on whether or not suicide was okay by God, and it gave a sort of answer that yes we are forgiven regardless, but it's kinda a sad way to go and such. But even though my brain got the memo, my heart was still kinda unsteady. I heard the guy's sermon about how he had been at a crossroads and decided to walk for awhile. So I did this, while thinking about things. Eventually I talked myself through it, and did feel better.

It just kinda felt like that sermon, which was pre-recorded and I couldn't possibly have planned to put on, was perfectly suited for how I was feeling right then.
Jasper10

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2021 06:52 am
@bulmabriefs144,
Yes, it does work that way sometimes......you can't explain it.......I know exactly what you mean... been there....You said that you talked yourself through it, inwardly?......massive!!!.......many people don't talk to themselves inwardly, they take their inward voice for granted....(big mistake)....and so there is no feedback controlling element of self........they just listen to inward/outward thoughts which can be very toxic at times and then become a slave to them.....with all the dark emotions that come with it.....not good.......as I am sure you are aware........We all have to learn about the coping mechanisms...which is hard going at times...
0 Replies

Jasper10

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2021 12:31 am
@bulmabriefs144,
Bulmabriefs…If you had to choose, which of the two famous quotes below would you go for?

1. I think, therefore ,I am.
Or
2.I am, therefore I think.

Now we know that modern day science believes we are just consciousness……….…but who cares what modern day science believes, it hasn’t got a clue what consciousness is for a start let alone how it interconnects with the rest of the sciences……..what do you believe?

Do you believe that you are just a thought? ….or do you believe that you just have thoughts?

This is a fundamental starting point in philosophy.

Leadfoot

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2021 06:40 am
@Jasper10,
Quote:
Now we know that modern day science believes we are just consciousness…

Dude, you give them more credit than they deserve.

They are more or less divided into two camps.

The hard materialists think consciousness is 'An artifact of electrochemical activity in the brain.'

The semi-honest ones call conscientiousness 'The Hard Problem.'.
0 Replies

bulmabriefs144

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2021 08:36 am
@Jasper10,
I don't mind Descartes.

However, it doesn't follow that just because you are existing, you will be intelligent enough to think. Worms and jellyfish don't build rocket ships.

Nor can anybody by thinking can bring themselves into being.

I think it would be useful for you to take a full course (even a Wikipedia one) on the various theories of mind-body problem.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mind%E2%80%93body_problem
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophy_of_mind
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evil_demon
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brain_in_a_vat
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Existentialism

Make up your own mind about this. Meanwhile, I continue to state even wereall of existence an illusion, there would necessarily need to be an illusionist (God) and a subject (me). There might also be other subjects (you, Frank, izzy, Leadfoot), but because I cannot prove you are not part of the illusion, I am only sure of two people. Now it is also possible that I am part of the illusion, and we're really telling izzt or Leadfoot's story, but the POV seems weird for that.

In other words, if thought is all that matters, you can readily prove the existence of yourself and God, but proving another person exists is actually more difficult by far.

We don't know what you just stated by the way about human experience just being consciousness or whatever. This is what science calls "we now know." In a biology book I read as a young adult, they taught us about spontaneous generation and how they used to believe in spontaneous generation and that life was caused by a life force that brought flies and bacteria into being from nothing. "We now know that no life force exists." ( They showed me Pasteur's models)

That's slight of hand. We've disproven bad science, so we declare we've also disproven its side theories that are not actually to do with science. Wait, no, you haven't! You haven't proven consciousness is all there is (dreams are not part of consciousness, btw). You haven't proven there is no soul or there is no God, despite scientistic types saying they have, you haven't proven there is no life force (only that spontaneous generation doesn't work).
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2021 08:52 am
@bulmabriefs144,
bulmabriefs144 wrote:

I don't mind Descartes.

However, it doesn't follow that just because you are existing, you will be intelligent enough to think. Worms and jellyfish don't build rocket ships.

Nor can anybody by thinking can bring themselves into being.

I think it would be useful for you to take a full course (even a Wikipedia one) on the various theories of mind-body problem.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mind%E2%80%93body_problem
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophy_of_mind
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evil_demon
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brain_in_a_vat
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Existentialism

Make up your own mind about this. Meanwhile, I continue to state even wereall of existence an illusion, there would necessarily need to be an illusionist (God) and a subject (me). There might also be other subjects (you, Frank, izzy, Leadfoot), but because I cannot prove you are not part of the illusion, I am only sure of two people. Now it is also possible that I am part of the illusion, and we're really telling izzt or Leadfoot's story, but the POV seems weird for that.

In other words, if thought is all that matters, you can readily prove the existence of yourself and God, but proving another person exists is actually more difficult by far.

We don't know what you just stated by the way about human experience just being consciousness or whatever. This is what science calls "we now know." In a biology book I read as a young adult, they taught us about spontaneous generation and how they used to believe in spontaneous generation and that life was caused by a life force that brought flies and bacteria into being from nothing. "We now know that no life force exists." ( They showed me Pasteur's models)

That's slight of hand. We've disproven bad science, so we declare we've also disproven its side theories that are not actually to do with science. Wait, no, you haven't! You haven't proven consciousness is all there is (dreams are not part of consciousness, btw). You haven't proven there is no soul or there is no God, despite scientistic types saying they have, you haven't proven there is no life force (only that spontaneous generation doesn't work).

The question of the thread, Nut Case, is, "How can something come from nothing?"

Perhaps there was NEVER "nothing."

Perhaps EXISTENCE always has been...everything has always been in some form or another.

Perhaps there is a GOD that always existed...and then created this stuff we call "the universe."

Perhaps not.

Only morons assert possibility as FACT.

You don't KNOW there is a GOD...and "your reasoning" (laughing out loud when I typed those words)...is totally self-serving and gratuitous.
bulmabriefs144

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2021 09:22 am
@Frank Apisa,
It is necessary to call anything that has always been or always will return a god (an immortal being with either infinite reincarnations with full memory, or eternal life with immortality; if you can kill something but it always comes back with no loophole or secret weakness, or you can't kill something, you are referring to a god). It is necessary to call anything that is the cause of everything God (that is, what we mean by God is an uncausable cause, a being that cannot be undone because it is something outside our realm of reasoning, not merely immortal but something immortals themselves worship).

The universe may or may not be eternal (I do not demand people believe in Big Bang or the Creation), but it is decidedly not God. You science types could call it that, and you'd be right in that it is your absolute concern. But such a "God" would fall flat on a key point. It is possible to destroy the universe, using a massive nuclear fission event, breaking all atoms into subparticles and nanoparticles and even smaller ones. Maybe not permanently, but if the universe is "God", it is possible to wound "God."
But even if nobody believes in God, he is still God. Even if all followers are dead, and all Bibles burned, and generations of people do not know God. It is not even possible to wound God unless he wishes it.

Jasper10

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2021 09:48 am
@bulmabriefs144,
Bulmabriefs144…..Ha Ha you are correct worms and jelly fish don’t build rocket ships……….

Man is designing stuff based upon Boolean logic ……..and the whole of the cosmos including our physical body make up is based upon the same logic….which includes 0,0…1,1 logic as well as 0,1….1,0 logic which means anything you think or say can be countered ….this is called “caged” logic….so you could be speaking a pack of lies or you could be speaking a pack of truths…….so why should I believe a single thing you say and why should you believe a single thing I say?

That is just how it is……..be careful what you think therefore because you have clearly reached a conclusion through your thinking and reasonings….you might not be an illusion….you may have been taken in by a pack of lies…
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2021 10:13 am
@bulmabriefs144,
bulmabriefs144 wrote:

It is necessary to call anything that has always been or always will return a god (an immortal being with either infinite reincarnations with full memory, or eternal life with immortality; if you can kill something but it always comes back with no loophole or secret weakness, or you can't kill something, you are referring to a god). It is necessary to call anything that is the cause of everything God (that is, what we mean by God is an uncausable cause, a being that cannot be undone because it is something outside our realm of reasoning, not merely immortal but something immortals themselves worship).

NO...it is not NECESSARY. You insist that it is because you are stuck in your blind guesses. Nothing wrong with you doing it...just as there is nothing wrong with mentioning that doing so is an insult to logic.

Quote:
The universe may or may not be eternal (I do not demand people believe in Big Bang or the Creation), but it is decidedly not God.

There may be no gods...but that seems to be beyond your grasp.

Quote:
You science types could call it that, and you'd be right in that it is your absolute concern. But such a "God" would fall flat on a key point. It is possible to destroy the universe, using a massive nuclear fission event, breaking all atoms into subparticles and nanoparticles and even smaller ones. Maybe not permanently, but if the universe is "God", it is possible to wound "God."

There may be no gods...but that seem to be beyond your grasp.

Quote:
But even if nobody believes in God, he is still God. Even if all followers are dead, and all Bibles burned, and generations of people do not know God. It is not even possible to wound God unless he wishes it.

There may be no gods, Bulma. None at all. But that seems like a concept that is beyond your grasp.

Anyway...I hope you...and your loved ones...have a great Christmas.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2021 10:24 am
Frank is so serene. Almost like Buddha.
Jasper10

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2021 10:53 am
@Leadfoot,
The Buddha listened far too much to those illusionary “caged” logic fool reasonings and their Boolean Logic output possibilities …it could be said……

1.You are an illusion…You are an illusion.
2.You are an illusion…You are not an illusion.
3.You are not an illusion…You are an illusion.
4.You are not an illusion….You are not an illusion.
0 Replies

Jasper10

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2021 11:13 am
@Leadfoot,
The Buddha was an agnostic just like the rest of us…because there is no such thing as a perfect atheist or theist…….we all sit on the same fence together making our HOPE choices about things even God or Gods…Philosophy caters for all….