How can something come from nothing?

Leadfoot

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2021 01:11 pm
@Jasper10,
Fence rails make my butt sore when I sit on'em. I don’t recommend it.
Jasper10

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2021 01:19 pm
@Leadfoot,
Ha Ha….I know what you mean Leadfoot…..I know you have made your choice in HOPE………..you have made that much abundantly clear………..fair play to you my friend…..you can make that choice wherever you sit…right, left or on the fence ……probably best to watch your butt though….
Jasper10

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2021 02:28 pm
@Jasper10,
I say this because everyone is an agnostic whether they sit on the left ; right ; or the fence ….because non of us are perfect atheist or theists…..
bulmabriefs144

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2021 01:33 am
@Jasper10,
Sooner or later, get squished.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/71/14/d6/7114d67d62bf4aae459b4225e9fac61f.jpg

With religion, it's more "I don't have opinion on religion." or " I don't know." (cool) or "I don't believe in God anymore because this happened..." ( honesty is good, people telling me they "grew up" are hiding something)

/ "I am agnostic, so you can't be sure and are blind guessing" (more Frank than you, but fence sitting is dead center ) "I know there isn't a God." (Usually said when they have no proof; this is usually a sign that you don't have courage enough to admit you have reason to be cold against God) "I guess there's a God. If I'm nice to everyone I'll get into heaven." ( wishy-washy faith doesn't cut it when evil regimes come tho)

/ " I believe in God/Buddha/etc and will give my life up for this kinda faith. " (hardcore! Even if I can't stand their beliefs like the Muslims, I cannot fault them their passion)

The options in the middle are too lukewarm.
Jasper10

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2021 02:07 am
@bulmabriefs144,
There are fences on the left and right as well.

The fences depict agnosticism and we all are agnostics because non of us are perfect atheists or theists.

It’s about being totally honest with ourselves rather than BS ourselves.If we can’t be honest with ourselves then we are in trouble.

It doesn’t matter where we sit therefore we still have no option but to hope in something or not hope in something.This applies to all bulmabriefs144.

It’s about trying to find that something that is worth hoping in because it make sense to do so.

bulmabriefs144

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2021 04:03 am
@Jasper10,
But if Frank Apisa is any guide, well he basically ruined any chances of me seeing agnosticism as honest.

Lemme put it this way. You can be a committed agnostic. "I dunno. By extension I can't know whether you know." (Here is where Frank Apisa falls flat, he tries to tell other people their faith. That's a bit like telling a plumber his job, there is an inherently personal aspect of faith, and they are certain of it, even if deluded) You can be a committed theist, believing in polytheism, monotheism, or pantheism. You could be wrong, but this isn't relevant. I'll explain why in a second. Finally, you can be a committed anti-theist.

Wait, you ask. Why are there no committed atheists? Because this is an intellectually dishonest position, just as claiming you can know for another person. A person is either unsure of what they believe, devoted to what they believe in, or despises what they believe in. But you cannot prove a negative.

...No, really, you can't. Suppose I wanted to prove there are no faeries. I could prove only that I haven't seen any. They might be outside visible wavelength. They might be underground. Or in high altitude. Or underwater. Or in another dimension. To assert that you know a negative is to assert, "I am God. I know everything in all places, thus I know there are no faeries." You can prove existence, but not nonbeing. Because you are not immortal, omniscient , and able to cross dimensions.

Atheism, then is either a weirdly hard version of agnosticism or in many cases a mask for anti-theism.

Okay, now I told you above that you can be wrong but that doesn't matter, what did I mean? Well, while it is possible to know the existence of God or at least some form of Creator, faith is not a study of what we know.
You see, the word science pertains to "knowing". Faith comes from the same roots as "faithful." In other words faith isn't religion so much as the idea of being faithful. Committed. Most every faith is an opinion, you can be dead-wrong about your faith, but the point of religion is not certainty (knowledge) but having faithfulness. Ultimately, you have a belief (opinion) but unlike a wishy-washy type sitting on fence, you say loudly, "I am absolutely sure that I dunno!" It is not your job to prove your faith, only to defend it. Likewise, it's not for you to undermine the faith of others. At worst, you can correct someone's logical flaws to their faith (i.e. contradictory statements).

Leadfoot

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2021 07:28 am
@bulmabriefs144,
Hey wow! More like that please.

But you raised too many good points to mul before I’ve had my morning meds.
More later
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2021 08:36 am
@bulmabriefs144,
bulmabriefs144 wrote:

Sooner or later, get squished.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/71/14/d6/7114d67d62bf4aae459b4225e9fac61f.jpg

With religion, it's more "I don't have opinion on religion." or " I don't know." (cool) or "I don't believe in God anymore because this happened..." ( honesty is good, people telling me they "grew up" are hiding something)

/ "I am agnostic, so you can't be sure and are blind guessing" (more Frank than you, but fence sitting is dead center ) "I know there isn't a God." (Usually said when they have no proof; this is usually a sign that you don't have courage enough to admit you have reason to be cold against God) "I guess there's a God. If I'm nice to everyone I'll get into heaven." ( wishy-washy faith doesn't cut it when evil regimes come tho)

/ " I believe in God/Buddha/etc and will give my life up for this kinda faith. " (hardcore! Even if I can't stand their beliefs like the Muslims, I cannot fault them their passion)

The options in the middle are too lukewarm.

The reason you are uncomfortable with the people "in the middle" (the people who are acknowledging that they do not know if any gods exist or not)...is not because the position is too "lukewarm"...

...but because the position is the truth. And, Bulma, you avoid the truth like the plague.

But you are a delight. You are so easy to laugh at.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2021 08:43 am
@bulmabriefs144,
bulmabriefs144 wrote:

But if Frank Apisa is any guide, well he basically ruined any chances of me seeing agnosticism as honest.

Lemme put it this way. You can be a committed agnostic. "I dunno. By extension I can't know whether you know." (Here is where Frank Apisa falls flat, he tries to tell other people their faith. That's a bit like telling a plumber his job, there is an inherently personal aspect of faith, and they are certain of it, even if deluded) You can be a committed theist, believing in polytheism, monotheism, or pantheism. You could be wrong, but this isn't relevant. I'll explain why in a second. Finally, you can be a committed anti-theist.

Wait, you ask. Why are there no committed atheists? Because this is an intellectually dishonest position, just as claiming you can know for another person. A person is either unsure of what they believe, devoted to what they believe in, or despises what they believe in. But you cannot prove a negative.

...No, really, you can't. Suppose I wanted to prove there are no faeries. I could prove only that I haven't seen any. They might be outside visible wavelength. They might be underground. Or in high altitude. Or underwater. Or in another dimension. To assert that you know a negative is to assert, "I am God. I know everything in all places, thus I know there are no faeries." You can prove existence, but not nonbeing. Because you are not immortal, omniscient , and able to cross dimensions.

Atheism, then is either a weirdly hard version of agnosticism or in many cases a mask for anti-theism.

Okay, now I told you above that you can be wrong but that doesn't matter, what did I mean? Well, while it is possible to know the existence of God or at least some form of Creator, faith is not a study of what we know.
You see, the word science pertains to "knowing". Faith comes from the same roots as "faithful." In other words faith isn't religion so much as the idea of being faithful. Committed. Most every faith is an opinion, you can be dead-wrong about your faith, but the point of religion is not certainty (knowledge) but having faithfulness. Ultimately, you have a belief (opinion) but unlike a wishy-washy type sitting on fence, you say loudly, "I am absolutely sure that I dunno!" It is not your job to prove your faith, only to defend it. Likewise, it's not for you to undermine the faith of others. At worst, you can correct someone's logical flaws to their faith (i.e. contradictory statements).

Not really sure if you are worse at logic or at honesty...but for certain, you are horrible at both.

My main points have been:

You are blindly guessing there is a god...and you are blindly guessing about its nature...about what pleases and offends it.

Your blind guesses MAY be correct...every one of them. But they may be wrong. But they are BLIND GUESSES whether right or wrong.

Grow up. I know, I know...it is not easy for you. But "grow up" should be on your list of important things to do soon.

0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2021 10:53 am
Frank said:
Quote:
The reason you are uncomfortable with the people "in the middle" (the people who are acknowledging that they do not know if any gods exist or not)...is not because the position is too "lukewarm"...

...but because the position is the truth. And, Bulma, you avoid the truth like the plague.

There may be a bit of projection here.
I wonder if this is why Frank put me on 'ignore'. Too 'hot'? I’ll take that as a compliment.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2021 11:51 am
@bulmabriefs144,
Just a couple of comments because I find these points interesting.
Quote:
Wait, you ask. Why are there no committed atheists? Because this is an intellectually dishonest position

Prior to Darwin's 'Origin of the Species…', atheism didn’t have a leg to stand on in the face of reality as we observed it. Anyone who suggested that we were the result of unguided nature and descendants of creatures that crawled out of the ocean would have been considered mad. I find it fascinating that today the exact opposite is true.

As Richard Dawkins said, 'It was Darwin who made honest Atheism intellectually possible'. I think he overstated it, it’s more like he made it intellectually ‘plausible'. And only for the following century. Because only a hundred years later Watson and Crick unveiled the incredible machinery behind biological life that no intellectually honest person could call anything but an amazing design. But a hundred years of 'science tradition' can’t be disposed of overnight.

While Darwin is crumbling slowly, they cover themselves with the fig leaf of 'it only has the appearance of design, we'll figure out how it happened eventually.'. That is truly intellectually dishonest for anyone intelligent enough to understand what Watson and Crick discovered.

Quote:

That accurately describes some around here, but not Frank.
Albuquerque

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2021 08:47 pm
@Leadfoot,
The distinction is acttually more subtle than that.
Some of you believe a mind is needed for design and some of us believe a mind cannot design itself from the ground up, nor alternatively do we believe in an infinite regress of minds creating other minds, so mind is/must be, the result of something else more abstract...that includes demigods, people, and any other sort of problem solving machines within spacetime!

I grant "Ultimism" and Order not God!

PS - A God outside spacetime is a Rock and doesn't resemble any common definition of what people allude to with that word, sooo it doesn't count!
Albuquerque

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2021 08:57 pm
The idea that the only alternative to random Darwinism is Religion is the result of a clear lack of imagination and perception...

That idea that Metaphysics starts and ends with God is even worse!
0 Replies

Albuquerque

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2021 09:04 pm
@ripple,
On the Set of all possible negations we have a problem.

After not X, not Y, not anything specific, we have not not!...

...and then silence!

The concept of Nothingness when taken to an absolute cannibalizes itself out of "existence", out of spacetime and no longer applies.
Albuquerque

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2021 09:21 pm
@Albuquerque,
Not"ing" something is a process of search for something else not a process of absolute absence.

The source that "nots" must in the end not itself which it can't as by definition is THE SOURCE!

Understanding Language is a bitch!
0 Replies

Albuquerque

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2021 11:13 pm
I am as afraid of a Lion as I am afraid of a demigod as both have the same nature and problems at its roots!

PS - I am not afraid of a Rock!
Leadfoot

Reply Sat 25 Dec, 2021 06:19 am
@Albuquerque,
Quote:
so mind is/must be, the result of something else more abstract...that includes demigods, people, and any other sort of problem solving machines within spacetime!

The 'Hard Problem' of consciousness is called 'hard' for good reason.

Are you satisfied with the weak ass explanation that it is just an 'emergent property of the brain'? I’m not.

But I haven’t even attempted an explanation myself. The mere mechanics of biological life defy non sentient explanations.

I see no evidence for 'Ultimism' as a creative force, whatever that is. You might as well claim 'God did it'. There is no explanatory power in that word.
bulmabriefs144

Reply Sat 25 Dec, 2021 06:28 am
@Albuquerque,
Yeah well...
http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140910021152/battlenations/images/d/d2/Yoda_you_will_be.jpg
0 Replies

Albuquerque

Reply Sat 25 Dec, 2021 03:36 pm
@Leadfoot,
You totally missed the important bit that was left in post scriptum because I knew most wouldn't get the point, let me quote myself:

Quote:
A God outside spacetime is a Rock and doesn't resemble any common definition of what people allude to with that word, sooo it doesn't count!

A God within spacetime is not all knowing so it becomes a demigod and a problem solving machine regarding the future, it/he/she, itself contingent!
(Thus it is not a source of anything just another puppet)
Albuquerque

Reply Sat 25 Dec, 2021 04:09 pm
Lets get back to some basic lessons on the topic shall we:
All POV's are represented though not all make straight forward sense pick your poison!)

0 Replies