a Canadian MP? Member of Parliament of Military Police?

Nancy88

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2012 07:01 am
However, since Lucy was busy during the day helping Taylor at the embassy, a Canadian MP, known as Junior, was sent over to watch the house during the day.

What does the abbrievation MP stand for? Does it mean a military police? I don't know whether the Canadian embassies have any military attaches.

View best answer, chosen by Nancy88
djjd62

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2012 07:15 am
@Nancy88,
not sure, i'm guessing this sentence comes from the story surrounding the iran hostage situation, there would have been no members of parliament involved (at least in iran) so i'm thinking it refers to some form of military police or embassy guard
Ragman

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2012 07:34 am
@Nancy88,
M.P. is a Member of Parliament in Canada.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Member_of_Parliament

However if you're referring to a member of the Canadian law enforcement agency, a 'Mountie' (formally known as a RCMP), see the following:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RCMP
Nancy88

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2012 07:45 am
@djjd62,
Yeah, you are absolutely right, this sentence comes from the story surrounding the iran hostage situation. That's why I don't think it stands for Members of Parliament.
0 Replies

djjd62
  Selected Answer

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2012 07:48 am
@Ragman,
while all of that is true,the mention of taylor and lucy being at the embassy all day means that the sentence is about the iran hostage crisis (ken taylor and roger lucy were embassy staff)

from the wiki article on Canadian Forces Military police

Specific tasks of CFMP may include:

Providing security at selected Canadian embassies around the world

so military police seems right to me
Ragman

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2012 07:54 am
@djjd62,
ok.
djjd62

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2012 08:11 am
@Ragman,
as a Canadian i live in hope that some day all Members of Parliament will be arrested by the Military Police
Ragman

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2012 08:19 am
@djjd62,
All politicians should spend some time in jail. Sooner or later, they'll do sumpin' worthy of jail time.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2012 08:52 am
@djjd62,
MP's from the Canadian Provost Corps (No.4 Provost Platoon) tried to arrest me once ... until they noticed that the Canadian soldiers were "the others" Very Happy
0 Replies