Give Blood!

steissd

Reply Mon 23 Dec, 2002 04:44 pm
UK? Your screen name made me think that you spent much time in France, maybe even living there...
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 23 Dec, 2002 04:47 pm
Mais non...
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 23 Dec, 2002 07:18 pm
Somewhere along the line, I contracted hepatitis B, and can no longer donate blood. About five or six years ago, I went to the blood bank, and they told me I had hep B, and that they could not use my blood. c.i.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Mon 23 Dec, 2002 07:19 pm
I've given over 4 gallons!
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Mon 23 Dec, 2002 07:20 pm
I'll give you some of the credits c.i.!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 23 Dec, 2002 08:47 pm
BillW. If you use "cicerone imposter," they're going to black ball your blood too! Wink c.i.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Mon 23 Dec, 2002 09:16 pm
I'm just giving you blood credits c.i., not imposternating you. Actually, they are transferable and you get 1 for 1 on usage. Blood ain't cheap, ask my friend Lestat.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 23 Dec, 2002 09:32 pm
Too bad I can't return the favor. c.i.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Mon 23 Dec, 2002 09:36 pm
Don't want none of that dirty blood. But, seriously c.i., you have paid me back in many ways. Thanks for all of it!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 23 Dec, 2002 10:10 pm
D'art, Haven't heard of any recent outbreaks of mad cow disease. Are they still checking for that? What's the incubation period? c.i.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Sun 29 Dec, 2002 10:59 pm
C.I., I reckon they still are screening people out of fear of a mad cow disease outbreak. I was turned away just a few months ago, and I suspect they would have called me in if the policy had changed. I don't know if this is a national policy or merely local.

Had some venison stew at a party last night, so I may really be in trouble now. Hasn't affected my yet; at least I don't think it has! Twisted Evil
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2003 04:40 pm
these days they are screening for SARS...

Anyway, I gave again.

You should too.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2003 04:44 pm
sigh, everytime this thread comes up as a reminder, I have a cold. I have colds a lot. Damn germ bags.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2003 05:03 am
That's what you git fer hangin out with them plague vectors...
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2003 06:59 am
CI - I remember hearing that the incubation period for CJD could be up to 10-20 years possibly.

BTW anyone, is it still true that blood donors in the US are paid for their pints, or has the AIDS thing stopped all that?

There is also a severe shortage of male bone marrow donors in the UK as well. I'm not sure how they get it out though!
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2003 07:00 am
Something to do with needles in the hip I believe.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2003 07:04 am
The transplant procedure

BONE MARROW TRANSPLANTATION

The bone marrow extraction, or harvest, is the same whether for an autologous or allogeneic transplant. Harvesting is done under general anesthesia (i.e., the donor sleeps through the procedure), and discomfort is usually minimal afterwards. Bone marrow is drawn from the iliac crest (the part of the hip bone to either side of the lower back) with a special needle and a syringe. Several punctures are usually necessary to collect the needed amount of bone marrow, approximately 1-2 quarts (0.9-1.91). (This amount is only a small percentage of the total bone marrow and is typically replaced within four weeks.) The donor remains at the hospital for 24-48 hours and can resume normal activities within a few days.

If the bone marrow is meant for an autologous transplant, it is stored at -112 to -320°F (-80 to -196°C) until it is needed. Bone marrow for an allogeneic transplant is sometimes treated to remove the donor's T cells (a type of white blood cell) or to remove ABO (blood type) antigens; otherwise, it is transplanted without modification.

The bone marrow is administered to the recipient via a catheter (a narrow, flexible tube) inserted into a large vein in the chest. From the bloodstream, it migrates to the cavities within the bones where bone marrow is normally stored. If the transplant is successful, the bone marrow begins to produce normal blood cells once it is in place, or engrafted.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2003 07:15 pm
So far as I know, there are, or at least were, places that paid doners. But, to my knowledge, American Red Cross isn't one of them.

They did have a raffle card for a pair of tickets to a pro football game. I declined... figured, yeah if I won, I could sell 'em... but it woulnd't be right to take 'em away from a doner that would enjoy 'em.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2003 09:30 am
Most people give plasma for the $, can give every 3 days. Get about $35 a pop around these parts. I, myself, always donated. Then I noticed the people in-charge of the program are living in very expensive houses - hmmmmmmmmmm, one persons charity is anothers wealth :sad: BTW, this wasn't the American Red Cross Exclamation
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 04:38 pm
There are many reasons that they will not accept your blood donation. They will reject you if you have had cancer even if you have been cancer free for years.
0 Replies