How do i prepare for a rabbit properly?

Reply Mon 10 Dec, 2012 03:34 pm

im going to get a pair of rabbits soon for christmas.but i wana know more than just the basics.(i owned cats,but they didnt need very much,and were easy for the most part.)the thing is, i know alot of people with cats and dogs,hedgeogs,lizards,so i was confidant when i got cats.

however the only people i knew that had rabbits were at a daycare and they were terrible owners.they kept them in HAMSTER cages with no room and never changed them for weeks.they had rabbit after rabbit and they all died.(except peter who lived 12 years) and although i know not to do everything they did, im still nervous about owning one.i wanted to get a hedgehog,but beggars cant be choosers.

i wanna do well with these rabbits.im not completely ignorant about them,its just id like to hear from rabbit owners themselves.maybe then i wont be so nervous.

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 10 Dec, 2012 04:01 pm
@magicstorm101,
Oh Dloooowan! Paging Dr. Dlowan!

While we're waiting for Ms. Bunny to arrive with her wisdom, I can tell you that when I was a kid (many decades ago) we had lots of rabbits. We built wooden cages for them that had chicken wire flooring covered with hay. At night they stayed in their cages, during the day they roamed our backyard along with all our other animals: cats, dogs, chickens, ducks, turtles and anything else that wandered into the yard. They were all raised together and never bothered each other, in fact people used to call our house the Funny Farm.

If either of our cats or dogs had babies, and there were baby rabbits around, kittens, puppies and bunnies played with each other in the yard. If it was cold, they all cuddled up together in one big pile of furry and feathered animals to stay warm. Sometimes when mom and dad weren't looking, we let them all into the house and they had races up and down the hallways.

We gave the rabbits alfalfa pellets and veggie scraps. They also ate a lot of food from the cat and dog food dishes.

Just make sure they have plenty of fresh water, a place to keep warm when cold and cool when hot. Keep their cages clean, and have a separate cage for each rabbit. Males especially will need their own cage. They don't get along well with other rabbits for any length of time and when they are getting along, the results are usually more rabbits.
magicstorm101

Reply Mon 10 Dec, 2012 09:44 pm
@Butrflynet,
I noticed you said to keep them seperate cages,but would that apply to rabbits normally use to staying together? saw the petstore having rabbits and guinea pigs in the same cage and i was wondering,would it be ok to have the both of them in one big cage together if the rabbits are use to being in cages with others?
Butrflynet

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2012 08:42 pm
@magicstorm101,
You'll have to observe how they act when they are together and be prepared to separate them, if need be. If you are getting a couple of rabbits and you don't want a lot of little bunnies, you will want to keep them separate, at least until you know for sure what sex each of them are.
magicstorm101

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2012 03:03 pm
@Butrflynet,
ah i see.ill be sure to do that.i cant tell you how many times petstores told me the wrong genders of pets either by accident or on purpose.
0 Replies