The Democrats will win again in 2016

JPB

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2012 08:41 am
@IRFRANK,
Yes, it is up to the states. So far there's a bunch of talk and not much action but if a couple swing states with Republican controlled legislatures make the move then others will follow.

And, to fm's earlier question... no, there's no talk about it in TX or anywhere else that is firmly red or blue except NE wants Omaha back in the fold.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2012 08:41 am
bump - wow, page 4-5 requires a bump.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2012 11:49 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Not a bad bet. Everything IS turning in the wrong direction for them. That then means that the only way they can win, the only way they can combat this vote problem is to do what they can to make it so that votes don't matter. They change the institutions. Voter ID, redestricting, right to work, etc. They are in it for the long game and they are good at what they do.

So what is uncertain is how this modern instance of class war and pursuit of democracy plays out. I don't fuckin' know.

dlowan

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2012 01:03 am
@blatham,
Babbles!!!!!!!!!!
Thomas

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2012 01:10 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
So what is uncertain is how this modern instance of class war and pursuit of democracy plays out. I don't fuckin' know.

And what's it to you, British Columbian? (BTW, good to see you.)
blatham

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2012 05:51 am
@dlowan,
Babbles of quality, ma'm.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2012 06:23 am
@Thomas,
Thomas. I have missed you, my friend. Still in NJ? My daughter was staying with her mom on Long Island when the storm hit but they were among the lucky and didn't even lose power. Scared the bejesus out of them, though. But in more manly news, I was in Dallas when the group of tornadoes hit there back in February (I think it was) and I took in that climatic oddity sitting in my lawn chair out in the driveway. I have never seen a sky do stuff like that before. Twister-warning sirens are, I don't know why this surprised me, seriously loud.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2012 08:04 am
@blatham,
Judas H. Priest...is it really Bernie???

We got our asses kicked good and proper, B. Still recovering...although I will not be surprised if the shore is changed forever.

Good to see yer moniker.

f.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2012 08:06 am
@Frank Apisa,
As for the subject of the thread...

...I sure hope Robert is as right about this as he was about this last election.

If there is a 2016, I'd just as soon have a Democrat win again.
Thomas

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2012 08:29 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
Judas H. Priest...is it really Bernie???

It's clearly a Christmas miracle. (Or a sign of the apocalypse.) Believe in god yet?
blatham

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2012 08:31 am
@Frank Apisa,
Hi Frank. Miss you too. Just last week was trying to explain to someone here how nifty it was to sit out on the wharf poking into the west river on a summer evening with you folks. I do love parts of California and I'm sure Lake Como would be a fine place to inhabit, but New York - goddamn I loved New York.

Sorry to hear you got schmucked. I was wondering how you'd fared.

Robert is right in his assay of probabilities. And his rationale is sound - all the significant trends are heading in the Dem direction federally. But the bad guys are not going to lay down and they'll do what they can and that is a lot. The Kochs have cancelled their regular year-end shindig in order to research and rethink strategies. In other words, they are savvy enough to understand they don't know it all already. They are not, in terms of process, rigid ideologues. And that, along with their own institutional structures and reach into local, state and federal machinery of governance and media, makes them very dangerous.
blatham

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2012 08:32 am
@Thomas,
Is it just a coincidence I would reappear in coordination with the Mayan calendar?
ehBeth

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2012 08:35 am
@blatham,
http://www.taekwondo-aberdeen.co.uk/images/Xmas/elf2.gif
blatham

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2012 08:42 am
@ehBeth,
You still can make me laugh, you saucy lady.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2012 10:33 am
@blatham,
One problem that devils me is how the House of Representatives is almost always more conservative than the rest of the government. How do we change that?
Ragman

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2012 11:19 am
@edgarblythe,
soylent green? (It's people!) Mr. Green
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2012 11:42 pm
@edgarblythe,
Hello Edgar
I think that particular tendency will prevail. Or at least we might presume that the House will tend to be more populist. So I think it is a matter of supporting present progressive trends which includes a species of populism quite different in key aspects from the Tea Party species of the thing.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2012 04:34 pm
@edgarblythe,
You don't.

Do you think you and your friends are on the Committee for Rightful Thinking in America?
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2012 07:46 pm
@blatham,
My general reply won't work so I have to hit the reply to individuals. Good to see you Bernie my friend. Just a few days ago I'd have agreed with Robert and considered Hillary the next President automatically , which pleased me know end. Now however, if Obama lies down on this fiscal cliff nonsense, and he's already bent over TOO much, I fear so many people will be disillusioned he may poison the well. there's a time and place for everything and this is the time and place to stand up stiff necked and not blink.
IsmailaGodHasHeard

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2012 09:22 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I wish a centrist could win.