What does "Based on domination and coercion" mean?

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2012 09:45 am
"based on domination and coercion"? "based on domination (over what? society?) and coercion (by who or what?)"?

Context:

The dynamics that lead a serial killer to a first act of murder develop over a long period of time. I have identified five stages in this process, namely (Cotter, 2007):
1. Emotional problems
2. Initiation
3. Adaptation to murder
4. Trigger event
5. Act of murder

The serial killer’s extreme violence, based on domination and coercion, is a form of compensation for severe emotional problems. When does an individual become aware of the potential of this compensation mechanism? It happens very early on, in childhood. FBI research into the origins of violence in the most dangerous criminals emphasises the
early onset of this initiation stage (Ressler et al., 1992). The troubled, socially isolated child, who develops a taste for the thrill experienced whilst engaging in deviant behaviour, will use his intellectual abilities to construct egocentric alternatives which serve to offset the low level of satisfaction derived from everyday social interaction
( Douglas and Olshaker, 1999).
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 933 • Replies: 7
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
McTag
  Selected Answer

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2012 10:00 am
@oristarA,

Serial killer: domination over his victims, coercion by the killer.
oristarA

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2012 10:21 am
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

Serial killer: domination over his victims, coercion by the killer.

Thank you McTag.

BTW, what does "appetite"mean below? Ambition?

Context:

Youth is not a time of life; it is a state of mind; it is not a matter of rosy cheeks, red lips and supple knees; it is a matter of the will, a quality of the imagination, a vigor of the emotions; it is the freshness of the deep springs of life.

Youth means a temperamental predominance of courage over timidity of the appetite, for adventure over the love of
ease. This often exists in a man of sixty more than a body of twenty. Nobody grows old merely by a number of years. We grow old by deserting our ideals.
McTag

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2012 11:45 am
@oristarA,

Quote:
Youth means a temperamental predominance of courage over timidity of the appetite, for adventure over the love of ease.

Not ambition, no.

Funnily enough, we use French and German expressions when seeking to describe this "lust for life": Lebenslust or joie de vivre

"High spirits" might fit."Youthful enthusiasm" too. I don't think there is a "catch-all" phrase in English; the most common one is "joie de vivre", meaning, the joy in simply being alive.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2012 11:59 am
@oristarA,
Quote:
Youth means a temperamental predominance of courage over timidity of the appetite

Youth means a temperamental predominance of courage over timidity in the individuals collection of needs wants and desires.
oristarA

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2012 10:55 pm
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

Quote:
Youth means a temperamental predominance of courage over timidity of the appetite, for adventure over the love of ease.

Not ambition, no.

Funnily enough, we use French and German expressions when seeking to describe this "lust for life": Lebenslust or joie de vivre

"High spirits" might fit."Youthful enthusiasm" too. I don't think there is a "catch-all" phrase in English; the most common one is "joie de vivre", meaning, the joy in simply being alive.

Excellent!
I appreciate the new word: joie de vivre.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2012 10:58 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
Youth means a temperamental predominance of courage over timidity of the appetite

Youth means a temperamental predominance of courage over timidity in the individuals collection of needs wants and desires.

It sounds like a bunch of craps.

Please write in good English hawkeye10.
McTag

Reply Mon 10 Dec, 2012 03:09 am
@oristarA,
That's funny, it sounded like a bunch of craps to me too. I'm going to use that phrase this week.
0 Replies