Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea- Bush or Kerry?

dlowan

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 10:21 pm
ork
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2004 05:17 am
Well, I have made up my mind. A ten minute discussion with my brother clinched it for me.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2004 06:49 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Well, I have made up my mind. A ten minute discussion with my brother clinched it for me.

Would you mind sharing your decision, so I can abuse you with personal insults if necessary? Razz
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2004 07:24 am
OK- Here it is.

I do not care very much for Bush, as a human being. I dislike Bush's stand on social issues intensely. I think that he is spending as recklessly as any diehard Democrat. I question some of the actions that he has taken on the war on terrorism. I am suspicious that many of the judgments that he has made were motivated more by cronyism and personal agenda, than rational concern for the country.

I like Kerry's stand on social issues, although I am not crazy about his "take" on the economy..

I believe that we have been, and are now in the midst of World War III. The problem is, that not very many people have recognized what is going on in the world as such. The reason is that this war is unlike any that we have ever fought before. It is no longer these countries fighting those countries. It is a worldwide war of idological differences, fought in a much more defragmented fashion than previous wars. Our sophisticated technology is ultimately ineffective against a terrorist who can wreak havoc with a box cutter on a plane.

So, bottom line, I believe that we need a leader who will stand up to the terrorists, and destroy them. People are crying about jobs and the economy. Those issues ARE important. But, to me, the most important issue is keeping America safe.

We have a bumbling president, who has made many errors in his term of office. The important thing though, is that he is hell bent on destroying this octopus that is terrorism. I do not get the same sense of urgency from his opponent.

So that is why I am voting for Bush.

0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2004 07:30 am
I have posted these links before. If you haven't seen them, I think that it might prove illuminating:

http://www.d-n-i.net/fcs/4th_gen_war_gazette.htm

http://www.antiwar.com/lind/index.php?articleid=1702
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2004 08:41 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
I have posted these links before. If you haven't seen them, I think that it might prove illuminating:

http://www.d-n-i.net/fcs/4th_gen_war_gazette.htm

http://www.antiwar.com/lind/index.php?articleid=1702

Thanks for the links, Phoenix! You won't be surprised to hear that I have come to the opposite conclusion. If Bush wins the election, I hope you're right though.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2004 08:46 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
OK- Here it is.

I do not care very much for Bush, as a human being. I dislike Bush's stand on social issues intensely. I think that he is spending as recklessly as any diehard Democrat. I question some of the actions that he has taken on the war on terrorism. I am suspicious that many of the judgments that he has made were motivated more by cronyism and personal agenda, than rational concern for the country.

I like Kerry's stand on social issues, although I am not crazy about his "take" on the economy..

I believe that we have been, and are now in the midst of World War III. The problem is, that not very many people have recognized what is going on in the world as such. The reason is that this war is unlike any that we have ever fought before. It is no longer these countries fighting those countries. It is a worldwide war of idological differences, fought in a much more defragmented fashion than previous wars. Our sophisticated technology is ultimately ineffective against a terrorist who can wreak havoc with a box cutter on a plane.

So, bottom line, I believe that we need a leader who will stand up to the terrorists, and destroy them. People are crying about jobs and the economy. Those issues ARE important. But, to me, the most important issue is keeping America safe.

We have a bumbling president, who has made many errors in his term of office. The important thing though, is that he is hell bent on destroying this octopus that is terrorism. I do not get the same sense of urgency from his opponent.

I put to you that bush inc. is hell bent on destroying the current terrorist leadership so he can put in his own team to reap huge profits from manufacturing and selling the weapons and munitions and peripheals needed to wage the war, then reaping more huge profits by getting the contracts to rebuild what they destroyed in the first place. Let's don't attach to much altruism and patriotism to this nonsense. War is big business and bush inc. is connected to every one involved in it at a business level.

Kerry MAY be a bumbling president, but by your own admission bush IS a bumbling president and yet you will vote for him. I just cannot understand that.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2004 08:49 am
Well, at least it will be American companies getting the money... Laughing
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2004 08:55 am
Can you possibly be so naive?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2004 08:59 am
Can you possibly so lacking in a sense of humor?
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2004 09:02 am
One thing I'm known for is a lack of a sense of humor. I've learned to accept it.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2004 09:42 am
Phoenix wrote:
Quote:

So that is why I am voting for Bush

Phoenix, you show insight and thoughtfulness and a willingness to evaluate what is instead of what the politicos want you to think is.

I think a thorough evaluation of Bush's social policy emphasis would show him a much better man than his opponents would have us believe. Admittedly he has pulled some real boners, enough to have me screaming and writing critical letters to Washington. But in retrospect, what president hasn't?

I think Bush has been imprudent on some things, but I don't see him as bumbling. The liberal media hates him and the Democrats are creating as much negative image as they can to take him down. This is unfortunate in wartime when we need to be presenting a united front to keep from giving comfort and encouragement to those very terrorists we are committed to taking out.

Bush has kept his campaign promises better than any president since Reagan. We got the man we elected. He has made mistakes, yes, but he's a good man. I'll have a clear conscience when I vote for him again.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2004 10:20 am
I'm disappointed, Phoenix. In the following excerpt from a speech Kerry gave, he repeats what you said about this being a different kind of war and outlines how we can truly win it. I don't see us winning under Bush. What has happened in Afghanistan? What is happening in Iraq? If you think this is a world war, then why have we alienated our allies? Why are we not funding important homeland security programs? And why are we not even trying to attack the causes of unrest?

I am very concerned that my ROTC son will go to a mid-east country and not have the right kind of equipment to keep himself safe. Already he has been issued boots that were not his size (In more than a month they still haven't received any boots between sizes 9 1/2 and 12, ie. there are no 10's, no 10 1/2's, no 11's, no 11 11/2's -- the most common sizes for men). In boots too big he has been asked to march more than 20 miles around Fort Lewis. I am concerned that when he comes back, if he needs Veterans Assistance he will find that our federal government ignores him. This administration uses up troops, then as veterans leaves them behind.

Quote:
I am convinced that we can prove to the American people that we know how to make them safer and more secure - with a stronger, more comprehensive, and more effective strategy for winning the War on Terror than the Bush Administration has ever envisioned.

... we all know America cannot rest until Osama bin Laden is captured or killed.

And when that day comes, it will be a great step forward but we will still have far more to do. It will be a victory in the War on Terror, but it will not be the end of the War on Terror.

This war isn't just a manhunt - a checklist of names from a deck of cards. In it, we do not face just one man or one terrorist group. We face a global jihadist movement of many groups, from different sources, with separate agendas, but all committed to assaulting the United States and free and open societies around the globe.

As CIA Director George Tenet recently testified: "They are not all creatures of bin Laden, and so their fate is not tied to his. They have autonomous leadership, they pick their own targets, they plan their own attacks."

At the core of this conflict is a fundamental struggle of ideas. Of democracy and tolerance against those who would use any means and attack any target to impose their narrow views.

The War on Terror is not a clash of civilizations. It is a clash of civilization against chaos; of the best hopes of humanity against dogmatic fears of progress and the future.

------
Next, whatever we thought of the Bush Administration's decisions and mistakes - especially in Iraq - we now have a solemn obligation to complete the mission, in that country and in Afghanistan. Iraq is now a major magnet and center for terror. Our forces in Iraq are paying the price everyday.

And our safety at home may someday soon be endangered as Iraq becomes a training ground for the next generation of terrorists.

It is time to return to the United Nations and return America to the community of nations to share both authority and responsibility in Iraq, and take the target off the back of our troops. This also requires a genuine Iraqi security force. The Bush Administration simply signs up recruits and gives them rudimentary training. In a Kerry Administration, we will create and train an Iraqi security force equal to the task of safeguarding itself and the people it is supposed to protect.

We must offer the UN the lead role in assisting Iraq with the development of new political institutions. And we must stay in Iraq until the job is finished.

In Afghanistan, we have some NATO involvement, but the training of the Afghan Army is insufficient to disarm the warlord militias or to bring the billion dollar drug trade under control. This Administration has all but turned away from Afghanistan. Two years ago, President Bush promised a Marshall Plan to rebuild that country. His latest budget scorns that commitment.

We must - and if I am President, I will - apply the wisdom Franklin Roosevelt shared with the American people in a fireside chat in 1942, "it is useless to win battles if the cause for which we fight these battles is lost. It is useless to win a war unless it stays won." This Administration has not met that challenge; a Kerry Administration will.

But nothing else will matter unless we win the war of ideas. In failed states from South Asia to the Middle East to Central Africa, the combined weight of harsh political repression, economic stagnation, lack of education, and rapid population growth presents the potential for explosive violence and the enlistment of entire new legions of terrorists. In Saudi Arabia and Egypt, almost sixty percent of the population is under the age of 30, unemployed and unemployable, in a breeding ground for present and future hostility. And according to a Pew Center poll, fifty percent or more of Indonesians, Jordanians, Pakistanis, and Palestinians have confidence in bin Laden to "do the right thing regarding world affairs"

We need a major initiative in public diplomacy to bridge the divide between Islam and the rest of the world. For the education of the next generation of Islamic youth, we need an international effort to compete with radical Madrassas. We have seen what happens when Palestinian youth have been fed a diet of anti-Israel propaganda. And we must support human rights groups, independent media and labor unions dedicated to building a democratic culture from the grass-roots up. Democracy won't come overnight, but America should speed that day by sustaining the forces of democracy against repressive regimes and by rewarding governments which take genuine steps towards change.

We cannot be deterred by letting America be held hostage by energy from the Middle East. If I am President, we will embark on a historic effort to create alternative fuels and the vehicles of the future - to make this country energy independent of Mideast oil within ten years. So our sons and daughters will never have to fight and die for it.

Finally, if we are going to be serious about the War on Terror, we need to be much more serious about homeland security. Today, fire departments only have enough radios for half their firefighters and almost two-thirds of firehouses are short-staffed. We should not be opening firehouses in Baghdad and closing them down in New York City. We need to put 100,000 more firefighters on duty and we need to restore the 100,000 police on our streets which I fought for and won in 1994 but which the Bush Administration has cut in budget after budget.

We need to provide public health labs with the basic expertise they need but now lack to respond to chemical or biological attack. We need new safeguards for our chemical and nuclear facilities.

And our ports - like the Port of Los Angeles - need new technology to screen the 95 percent of containers that now enter this country without any inspection at all. And we should accelerate the action plans agreed to in US-Canada and US-Mexico "smart border" accords while implementing new security measures for cross border bridges. President Bush says we can't afford to fund homeland security. I say we can't afford not to.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2004 10:20 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
One thing I'm known for is a lack of a sense of humor. I've learned to accept it.

I think we have learned to accept that as well.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2004 10:26 am
McGentrix wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

I would expect nothing less from a man(?) like yourself who has consistently displayed such tolerance and open mindedness.....
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2004 10:26 am
McGentrix wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

I would expect nothing less from a man(?) like yourself who has consistently displayed such tolerance and open mindedness.....
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2004 10:37 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:

OK, so help me to understand how committing to a long occupation of Iraq, thus stressing ourselves both financially and militarily, while alienating us from our allies even remotely helps the fight against militant Islamic terrorism.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2004 10:57 am
mesquite wrote:
Phoenix32890 wrote:

OK, so help me to understand how committing to a long occupation of Iraq, thus stressing ourselves both financially and militarily, while alienating us from our allies even remotely helps the fight against militant Islamic terrorism.

If I may, the idea is not to help the fight against Islamic terrorism, the idea is to use this opportunity to continually feed the National fear that keeps bush inc's hands in our pockets and noses in our business so they can become more rich and powerful. The "war on terrorism" is incidental to and a helpful tool in the real bush inc. agenda. IMO. It seems to be working, more's the pity.

I have a hard time admiring or supporting bush's "resolve" in defeating terrorism when he and his keepers so tranparently use it opportunistically to push their personal agendas, which are merely the gathering of wealth and power at the expense of the people they have been charged to represent. Again, IMO.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2004 10:58 am
mesquite wrote:
Phoenix32890 wrote:

If I may, the idea is not to help the fight against Islamic terrorism, the idea is to use this opportunity to continually feed the National fear that keeps bush inc's hands in our pockets and noses in our business so they can become more rich and powerful. The "war on terrorism" is incidental to and a helpful tool in the real bush inc. agenda. IMO. It seems to be working, more's the pity.

I have a hard time admiring or supporting bush's "resolve" in defeating terrorism when he and his keepers so tranparently use it opportunistically to push their personal agendas, which are merely the gathering of wealth and power at the expense of the people they have been charged to represent. Again, IMO.
0 Replies

ConstantlyQuestioning

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2004 11:13 am
Personally, I would rather see a strong Libertarian candidate. However, if my only choice is between Bush and Kerry, I'm going with Bush. Kerry seems to inconsistent and seems to adopt whatever postion is politically convienent at the time on any given subject. Bush isn't without his share of screw-ups, but I think he's the lesser of the two evils.

BTW, Phoenix, your signature kicks ass! Laughing
0 Replies