Is this standard answer true?

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2012 06:28 am

Q: America is a nation of laws. What does it mean?
A (by a Chinese): Every citizen obeys the law.

But the standard answer given by America is: Every government obeys the law.

JPB

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2012 06:44 am
@oristarA,
I don't think either answer is true. America is a nation of laws means that we operate under a constitution that defines a process where legislative bodies determine the laws of the land. Some laws are national in scope, others are more local but we all have the same rights under the constitution and IN THEORY live by the same set of rules. Those writing the laws are elected by the populace, not appointed by a ruling class or royalty.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2012 06:48 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

A (by a Chinese): Every citizen obeys the law.Definitely not true. Very few citizens obey every law at all times, but they know (or should know) what the law is and the consequence for breaking it. It's against the law to drive faster than the posted speed limit but we oftentimes decide that the consequences of breaking that law (fine, traffic school, losing one's license to drive) and the risk of doing so are worth it.

But the standard answer given by America is: Every government obeys the law. I've never seen this answer. I don't know why it would be considered standard because it certainly isn't true in all cases.
oristarA

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2012 07:04 am
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

oristarA wrote:

A (by a Chinese): Every citizen obeys the law.Definitely not true. Very few citizens obey every law at all times, but they know (or should know) what the law is and the consequence for breaking it. It's against the law to drive faster than the posted speed limit but we oftentimes decide that the consequences of breaking that law (fine, traffic school, losing one's license to drive) and the risk of doing so are worth it.

But the standard answer given by America is: Every government obeys the law. I've never seen this answer. I don't know why it would be considered standard because it certainly isn't true in all cases.

I think the word "obey" might be misleading. I've used it as "abide by." Not sure if it works.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2012 12:17 pm
@oristarA,
I have always understood it to mean that we have written laws so we know what we are allowed to do, and prohibited from doing.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2012 01:00 pm
@oristarA,
Quote:

It means that it is a lie of monstrous proportions, Ori.
0 Replies