gol dang it, gosh darn it, dag nab it!

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 05:52 pm
Where do these sayings come from? I am guessing "gol dang it" and "gosh darn it" are just ways of saying "Goddammit" in a nicer way, but "dag nab it"? what the hell is that? Or is it supposed to be "dag nabbed"?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 12,484 • Replies: 51
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 05:54 pm
I think you're right, kicky, but, golly, I don't have any references to support that opinion.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 07:07 pm
They're all euphemisms for exclamations that were considered taboo in Victorian society, just as dang and darn are polite ways for saying 'damn.' They always seemed supremely silly to me. If you're going to use a euphemism, you might as well say the right word. Otherwise, stifle yourself totally.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 07:24 pm
Cheese and Rice!
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 07:25 pm
How about "jumpin jehosephats"

What the hell is a jehosephat?
Ceili

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 07:26 pm
You might trying asking gus, I've heard him say dag nabbit, perhaps he knows.
"Thou shalt not take the name of the lord thy god in vain". Not just victorian society but it's a commandment. Blasphemy!
I think dag nabbit is a play on dammit. I'v met some religious people who took offence to refrences to hell as well. So saying damn was just as bad as saying jesus, if you smacked your finger with a hammer. Just a theory.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 07:28 pm
Dag nab it, ceili, leave me out of this.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 07:56 pm
2 Chronicles 19

And Jehoshaphat the king of Judah returned to his house in peace to Jerusalem.
.2 And Jehu the son of Hanani the seer went out to meet him, and said to king Jehoshaphat, Shouldest thou help the ungodly, and love them that hate the LORD? therefore is wrath upon thee from before the LORD.
3 Nevertheless there are good things found in thee, in that thou hast taken away the groves out of the land, and hast prepared thine heart to seek God.
4 And Jehoshaphat dwelt at Jerusalem: and he went out again through the people from Beersheba to mount Ephraim, and brought them back unto the LORD God of their fathers.
5 ΒΆ And he set judges in the land throughout all the fenced cities of Judah, city by city,
6 And said to the judges, Take heed what ye do: for ye judge not for man, but for the LORD, who is with you in the judgment.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 08:14 pm
Whut in tarnation?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 08:18 pm
My sentiments exactly.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 08:32 pm
What in the Sam Hill...? Ever heard that one? -rjb-
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 11:26 pm
Well, nuts!
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 11:33 pm
Oh for crying outside; what the heck got into everyone. Jeepers Creepers!
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 11:34 pm
This dad-gummed thread is gettin' to be just plain silly now.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 12:55 am
Gee whiz, quit yer beefin'!
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 01:01 am
What in the blue blazes is going on around here!? Man o' chevitz! Ya ever hear o' that cotton-pickin' one? I'm not even sure if I spelled the dang thing right!
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 05:34 pm
hey, y'all, don't get your teeth in an uproar. Hear?
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 06:30 pm
Judas Priest!
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 06:58 pm
jesus murphy, cause even he wants to be irish!
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 07:13 pm
That one makes me wonder, Ceili, just what is Jesus' real last name? "Christ" means "lord" doesn't it? I find it an amazing coincidence that his last name would actually be "lord".

And what about Jesus H. Christ? What's the H. stand for? Is it some really embarrassing middle name that he didn't want people to use, like "Harvey" or something? And did his parents used to use his full name when they were mad at him, like parents always do?

"Jesus Harvey Christ, how many times do I have to tell you not to turn the gol dang water in the swimmin' pool into wine!"
0 Replies