Does "outrageous" here mean "grossly offensive to decency or morality; causing horror"?

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2012 11:49 pm

Context:

During my boyhood years sitting in the choir loft of a Christian church, I really had no idea who Christ was. I thought of Him as a myth, a fairy tale, a superhero in a "just so" bedtime story. But as 1 read the actual account of His life for the first time in the four gospels, the eyewitness nature of the narratives and the enormity of Christ's claims and their consequences gradually began to sink in. Here was a man who not only claimed to know God, He claimed to be God. No other figure 1 could find in any other faith made such an outrageous claim. He also claimed to be able to forgive sins, which seemed both exciting and utterly shocking. He was humble and loving, He spoke remarkable words of wisdom, and yet He was put to death on the
cross by those who feared Him. He was a man, so He knew the human condition that I was finding so burdensome, and yet He promised to relieve that burden: "Come unto me all ye that are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest" (Matthew 11:28).
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 597 • Replies: 3

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
Ceili
  Selected Answer

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2012 11:59 pm
No it means beyond belief, unlikely, improbable.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2012 05:35 am
@oristarA,

No. Your dictionary definition will suffice here.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2012 08:37 am

Thank you both.

I wonder how to select the correct definition. For Christians, Ceili's explanation will satisfy; for atheists, the definition "grossly offensive" will be their choice.
0 Replies