Larry Hagman dead

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2012 10:23 pm
There were no details when the TV news reported Hagman's death. He was best known for starring in Dallas and I Dream of Jeannie.

Rockhead

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2012 10:25 pm
@edgarblythe,
Who shot JR?

RIP Major Nelson...
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2012 11:12 pm
Hagman died at a Dallas hospital of complications from his battle with cancer, the newspaper said, quoting a statement from his family. He had suffered from cancer and cirrhosis of the liver in the 1990s after decades of drinking.
Hagman's mother was stage and movie star Mary Martin and he became a star himself in 1965 on "I Dream of Jeannie," a popular television sitcom in which he played Major Anthony Nelson, an astronaut who discovers a beautiful genie in a bottle.
"Dallas," which made its premiere on the CBS network in 1978, made Hagman a superstar.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2012 11:22 pm
@edgarblythe,
spend decades enjoying abusing the liver and STILL make it to 81...that counts as a win!
mirandasieck

Reply Sat 24 Nov, 2012 01:28 am
It is very sad .........
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 24 Nov, 2012 01:32 am
@mirandasieck,
mirandasieck wrote:

It is very sad .........

sad is dying at 18, not 81.
Pearlylustre

Reply Sat 24 Nov, 2012 04:49 am
@hawkeye10,
I doubt he enjoyed needing a liver transplant.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 24 Nov, 2012 06:39 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
There were no details when the TV news reported Hagman's death. He was best known for starring in Dallas and I Dream of Jeannie.

i was exactly the right age for the Dallas phenomenon, never saw an episode

IDOJ however, i watched as re-runs after school, never missed an episode if at all humanly possible

still catch it on a few random channels now and again

RIP Major Nelson
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 24 Nov, 2012 07:59 am
@hawkeye10,

81 is not as old as it used to be...
33export

Reply Sat 24 Nov, 2012 08:26 am
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
He had suffered from cancer and cirrhosis of the liver in the 1990s after decades of drinking.

Twelve plus years of agony over. Most likely the hospital helped ease his exit with a pain killer : he just quit living voluntarily.

Nice knowing you, Larry.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 24 Nov, 2012 12:28 pm
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:

81 is not as old as it used to be...

american males get on average 75.6 years to walk the Earth, Hagman did much better.
Region Philbis

Reply Sat 24 Nov, 2012 02:29 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Hagman did much better.
not really -- he battled various forms of cancer off and on for the last 20 or so years of his life...
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 24 Nov, 2012 02:45 pm
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:

Quote:
Hagman did much better.
not really -- he battled various forms of cancer off and on for the last 20 or so years of his life...

i dont know that he had poor quality of life these last 20 years. what is your source?
Region Philbis

Reply Sat 24 Nov, 2012 03:04 pm
@hawkeye10,

he was fortunate to live as long as he did...
Quote:
In August 1995, Hagman underwent a life-saving liver transplant after he was diagnosed with liver cancer
in July. Numerous reports state he was drinking four bottles of champagne a day while on the set of Dallas.
He was also a heavy smoker as a young man, but the cancer scare was the catalyst for him to quit. He was
so shaken by this incident that he immediately became strongly anti-smoking. He recorded several public
service announcements pleading with smokers to quit and urging non-smokers never to start. He was the
chairman of the American Cancer Society's annual Great American Smokeout for many years, and also worked
on behalf of the National Kidney Foundation.
(wiki)
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Sat 24 Nov, 2012 03:05 pm
@hawkeye10,
I can only assume you have never been close to someone who has suffered from either of these diseases or you would know without asking. Throat cancer and cirrhosis of the liver are the types of illnesses that make you miserable. Either one is awful, but together must have been torture. The treatments can be as painful as the diseases, sometimes more so. I know someone who willingly starved to death before his throat cancer did him in. The situation was so terrible he refused a feeding tube that would have prolonged his life. I've also never met an alcoholic who didn't suffer on-going sickness and discomfort related to the problem. Basically, Mr. Hagman slowly poisoned himself to death. Not something I would congratulate a person for.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 24 Nov, 2012 06:09 pm
@Green Witch,
I am not going to assume that he had poor quality of life....the rules and results are often different for the wealthy than they are for the rest of us.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sat 24 Nov, 2012 07:21 pm
I was a kid when I went to Ireland/the UK for the first time. We didn't have a TV. I had no idea who JR was. Every where we went we saw people wearing T-Shirts with "Who shot JR", there were posters in every shop. Because I didn't have an accent Wink , everyone I met assumed I was from Texas. I kept explaining that I was from Canada.. I couldn't figure out why it was Texas, Texas, Texas... I didn't and still don't have a drawl. How could these people be so dense.. lol
When we got home, I finally figured out who he "JR" was and why he was so damn important.
R.I.P Mr. Hagman. For a while there, I was an honourary Texan because of you.
0 Replies