No "Happy Thanksgiving!" Thread this Year??!!

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2012 03:12 pm
Weaker and weaker this community is....
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 11 • Views: 6,907 • Replies: 52

djjd62

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2012 05:30 pm
@hawkeye10,
so instead if just starting one you start a bitching about the lack of one thread

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2012 05:58 pm
@djjd62,
Because that's the kinda guy he is.
Rockhead

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2012 05:59 pm
@Ticomaya,
he's very zen...
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2012 06:06 pm
i celebrated thanksgiving today by finally going to a local church turkey supper

we've only lived in the area for 43 years, figured it was time to check it out

great meal, got two take outs, turkey, mashed potato, squash, peas, stuffing, cranberries, coleslaw and pie for $13 bucks
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2012 06:11 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

so instead if just starting one you start a bitching about the lack of one thread

comprehension takes talent...i pointed out a situation without taking a personal position on that situation.
Ticomaya

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2012 06:13 pm
@djjd62,
I made a turkey (nice big 21 pounder) using the brine/foil method I've used for the past 14 years or so (always juicy). Sweet potato souffle. And my mashed potatoes were a huge hit. (Someone taught me to make killer mashed potatoes a while back.)
JPB

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2012 06:18 pm
We had a capon (roasted in the oven) and a cranberry glazed duck (indirect grilled). Both were yummy. Traditional sides and pumpkin and pecan pies to finish off the meal. K brought enough leftovers home to eat for a week. M is getting her fill here before returning to school. It's nice having them both home for a couple days.

Happy Thanksgiving, all!
djjd62

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2012 06:26 pm
@Ticomaya,
on real thanksgiving ( in october Wink ) we had roast pork

being a border town a few churches do the turkey dinner thing for americans who feel like a day trip
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2012 06:34 pm
[Posting for The Girl, who is slaving in a lukewarm kitchen] We called the Thai restaurant: Green Curry Chicken with barbequed pork fried rice, Pad Thai and Thai spring rolls. Yum ! ! !
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2012 06:47 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
comprehension takes talent...i pointed out a situation without taking a personal position on that situation.

DJ pointed out that instead of doing something positive, you delight in pointing out what you perceive is a negative. You're a Debbie Downer.

http://imageshack.us/a/img90/5365/debbiedownerthanksgivin.jpg
http://www.hulu.com/watch/110971
farmerman

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2012 06:55 pm
@Ticomaya,
AHEM, not wishing to hijack such a focused thread but with what mixture (Im lookin for a recipe) do you brine your turkey. I wanted to do it this year but chickened out at the last minute. I usually make a turkey at very high heat at 10 min/pound an its really juicy and turkey tatsing. However, everyone whose brined their birds swears by this. I would like to her about the brine you use.

Thanking you in advance I remain

here
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2012 07:04 pm
@Ticomaya,
Quote:

DJ pointed out that instead of doing something positive, you delight in pointing out what you perceive is a negative

any delight has not been demonstrated by me. beside, by my books pointing out fact is a positive move.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2012 07:05 pm
@farmerman,
Mainly salt water only. My wife experimented this year and added some sugar and chicken broth, but normally just really salty water. I have found that a minimum of 1 hour in this salt water bath works, but longer is better. I then lightly oil the bird, and put it in a 500 degree oven for 30 minutes, then reduce to 350 and cover the breast with a tin foil triangle, to radiate the heat and cook the breast quicker. This is because without it the legs will dry out by the time the breast gets hot enough. I cook until the breast is 170 degrees.

Using the salt water soak, I have NEVER failed to have a very juicy bird.
JPB

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2012 07:07 pm
Pioneer Woman on Food Network suggested this brine/process. I almost tried it this year but went with the capon instead.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ree-drummond/my-favorite-turkey-brine-recipe/index.html
JPB

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2012 07:23 pm

um....
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/8773_10151081673666901_557344693_n.jpg
Ticomaya

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2012 07:35 pm
@JPB,
You just gave this thread a NSFW rating.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2012 07:46 pm
@Ticomaya,
Wonderful thai marinated pork ribs, plus mashed potatoes. Dog girl is circleing.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2012 08:45 pm
@Ticomaya,
thank you. My cooking method is similar but we use the 500 degrees at 10 min per pound THROUGHOUT (or until the meat thermometer in the oven reports a 165 in the thickst part of the breast.
Im going to have to brine a breast and try it small first before I go full scale turkey.

I just now saw an Alton Brown thing on brining a turkey my wife DVR'd on Mon afternoon . He suggested a brine of a cuppa salt- a cuppa brown sugar two gal of veggie broth (the institutional box variety and 1/2 gal water.

He used a Lowes bucket (New nd cleaned out) and

let the turkey in ovrnight. He did his turkey like you and he snips off the wingtips and uses them for stock for freezing as a soup base along with the denuded carcass.

SO, yours nd his method seem similar xcept for his veggie broth and an overnight ride for the turkey in the brine.

I once had taken part in a colonial dinner at the Inn at Little Washington (its a pretty good resturant/Inn outh West o DC). The turkey they served was supposedlybrined an it had a slight back taste tht was reminiscent of cloves. It was a crspy skin delight and Ive been trying to duplicate that taste for several years since we were there at that dinner.

farmerman

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2012 08:49 pm
@JPB,
One of the reasons I chickened out was that we have 2 fridges in the house and one in an RV in the garage shed. I woulda had to move and make room to fit a huge tub that would fit an 18 pound bird . Seemed like a chess game I didnt want to play just yet