No "Happy Thanksgiving!" Thread this Year??!!

George

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2012 03:12 pm
@George,
Gobble, gobble, gobble, gobble, gobble . . . BOOM . . . geek! thud.
Heeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheehee
JPB

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2012 03:18 pm
@George,
Laughing

yer a sick boy, George.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2012 03:22 pm
@JPB,
Tell me about the capon, I've been wanting to roast one. I've heard they're not as susceptible to turning out as dry as turkey often is.

Ragman

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2012 03:24 pm
@George,
lol.me too! Drunk
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2012 03:54 pm
@ossobuco,
ohhhhhhh... they're very moist. And bigger than a chicken. Much larger breasts than a non-neutered chicken. Ours was about 7 lbs of deliciousness. The grilled cranberry glazed duck was good too. My first attempt at cooking duck.
sozobe

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2012 05:04 pm
Did the clay pot turkey again (third year), stuPENdous. Best yet. It was pre-brined (Whole Foods) and very juicy. I also added some Penzey's Pork Chop Seasoning which added some good flavor.

I'm just thrilled that I seem to have discovered a reliable way to get good turkey results, because it was pretty much the bane of my Thanksgiving existence for ~7 years.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2012 05:10 pm
@JPB,
Thanks, now I'm going to have to try that. They have them at the one good butcher/odds and ends place on this side of town.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2012 05:56 pm
@sozobe,
clay pot turkey????? We have a clay pot that is only a few quarts. Did you wack up your turkey?

Sounds like you get those free bottles that Pennzy's sends along with your order. We havent gotten a "pork chop spice mix" yet. Everything else. I cant figger how Pennzy's thinks.Mrs F makes up orers several times a year for pure herbs , sices and extracts and they keep sending us these "Morning Catalina Sunrise mix" or "Tucson egg spice"

Most of their mixes (With the exception of QLL their soup bases are less than great. I think they are rtying to push several mixes that are basically the same thing differing mostly in their names.

Just me
sozobe

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2012 06:55 pm
@farmerman,
I like the pasta sprinkle too, and northwoods seasoning. Just a time-saver.

I have a big-ass clay pot. It holds a 10-lb turkey. (Occasionally 11-lb, if it's shaped right, but usually not beyond that.)

This is approximately it (different decorations). Schlemmertopf:

http://www.hellotanya.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/schlemmertopf_classic_831_w500.jpg
Setanta

Reply Sat 24 Nov, 2012 04:59 am
@sozobe,
The French call that a terrine, and that looks nearly identical to a terrine which was purchased by a chef i know. For some reason, all the recipe hits i got referred to a force meat meatloaf. That's just one of many things made in a terrine. There are many, many recipes for cooking fowl (almost always cut up) in a terrine, and many of them call for the bird, spices and haricots blancs, which means white beans, and refers to something like the dried great northern beans you see in the store. Properly done, the meat is tender and juicy and just falls off the bone.

Because so many traditional French terrine recipes call for harictos blancs, terrines (meaning the recipe) have become very popular for vegetarian recipes.
farmerman

Reply Sat 24 Nov, 2012 06:13 am
@Setanta,
Can you not use the term Terrine for those little spicy meatloafs/pates as well? You lay out a pound of bacon across the earthenare dish, then fill in the meatloaf mix. Maybe its a different spelling that Im thinking of.

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 24 Nov, 2012 06:23 am
Terrine is the name of the cook pot, and it is the name of any recipe employing the cook pot. English speakers commonly associate the name with the force meat dish, but the French have hundreds, at least, of recipes, most of which do not use force meat.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 24 Nov, 2012 06:23 am
It's called a terrine because in France, they're all made of terra cotta.
0 Replies