what is "windows of vulnerability"

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2012 07:24 am
Despite the constant search by strategists and military for new "windows of vulnerability", which only new types of nuclear weapons would then be able to close, it was very difficult to foresee any scenario where the new weapon would actually be directly employed.

i'm translating this sentence, but i don't know what is windows of vulnerability

thank you!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,095 • Replies: 5
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by Grace dou
naachiz

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2012 07:40 am
@Grace dou,
Vulnerability refers to the inability to withstand the effects of a hostile (unfriendly) environment.

A Window of Vulnerability is a time frame during which your defensive measures are low or not present.
Grace dou

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2012 09:07 am
@naachiz,
thank you!

but i am still not sure about the meaning of this sentence, could you please help me paraphrase the sentence? thanks !!
fresco

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2012 10:02 am
@Grace dou,
Quote:
Despite the constant search by strategists and military for new "windows of vulnerability", which only new types of nuclear weapons would then be able to close, it was very difficult to foresee any scenario where the new weapon would actually be directly employed.

PARAPHRASED
Countries are constantly trying to invent new types of nuclear weapon designed to exploit the temporary weaknesses in their potential enemy's defense systems, but it is unlikely that such weapons would ever actually be used.
fresco
  Selected Answer

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2012 10:55 am
@fresco,
SLIGHT CORRECTION
Countries are constantly trying to invent new types of nuclear weapon designed to counter the temporary weaknesses in their own defense system or to exploit those of a potential enemy, but it is unlikely that such weapons would ever actually be used.

Grace dou

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2012 08:18 pm
@fresco,
thanks a lot!
0 Replies