Does "and register variation (in English and ...)" mean...?

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2012 05:08 pm
Does "and register variation (in English and cross-
linguistic; synchronic and diachronic)" mean "and register variation (in English and other languages; synchronic and diachronic register variation of English and other languages )"?

Context:
Douglas Biber is Regents’ Professor of English (Applied Linguistics) at Northern Arizona University. His research efforts have focused on corpus linguistics, English grammar, and register variation (in English and cross-
linguistic; synchronic and diachronic).
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 654 • Replies: 3
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
casmith
  Selected Answer

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2012 03:13 pm
Yes, I can verify that Biber's research on register variation has addressed nearly all of the parameters you listed (i.e., synchronic study of register variation in English and other languages, diachronic study of register variation in English over time). However, I can only verify that he has done diachronic register variation in English; I do not know if he has done this on other languages, as well.
oristarA

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2012 12:18 am
@casmith,
casmith wrote:

Yes, I can verify that Biber's research on register variation has addressed nearly all of the parameters you listed (i.e., synchronic study of register variation in English and other languages, diachronic study of register variation in English over time). However, I can only verify that he has done diachronic register variation in English; I do not know if he has done this on other languages, as well.

Cool!
Sounds that your major is linguistics.
McTag

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2012 04:17 am
@oristarA,

That is a branch of science into which I do not feel the least inclination to get.
0 Replies