Does "this is more children" sound natural?

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2012 01:05 am

Context:

Today the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) updated its estimate of autism prevalence in the United States to 1 in 88 children (1 in 54 boys and 1 in 252 girls). By comparison, this is more children than are affected by diabetes, AIDS, cancer, cerebral palsy, cystic fibrosis, muscular dystrophy or Down syndrome – combined.

The new numbers - based on a 2008 snapshot of 14 monitoring sites - represent a 78 percent increase in autism over the previous five years. They represent a ten-fold (1,000 percent) increase in reported prevalence over the last four decades
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 773 • Replies: 9
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
roger
  Selected Answer

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2012 01:38 am
@oristarA,
Perfectly natural to my American ear.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2012 08:25 pm
@oristarA,
'this' is "1 in 88 children", Ori.

Today the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) updated its estimate of autism prevalence in the United States to 1 in 88 children (1 in 54 boys and 1 in 252 girls). By comparison, 1 in 88 children is more children than are affected by diabetes, AIDS, cancer, cerebral palsy, cystic fibrosis, muscular dystrophy or Down syndrome – combined.
MontereyJack

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2012 08:27 pm
yes, it's fine.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2012 02:07 am
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

'this' is "1 in 88 children", Ori.

Today the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) updated its estimate of autism prevalence in the United States to 1 in 88 children (1 in 54 boys and 1 in 252 girls). By comparison, 1 in 88 children is more children than are affected by diabetes, AIDS, cancer, cerebral palsy, cystic fibrosis, muscular dystrophy or Down syndrome – combined.

Excellent!

I think "than are affected by" caused confusion. Why not "than that are affected by"?
JTT

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2012 06:55 am
@oristarA,
Later.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2012 08:10 am
@oristarA,

Quote:
I think "than are affected by" caused confusion. Why not "than that are affected by"?

Because you don't need it. Use the fewest words which will deliver a clear meaning.

It means "...than (those that) are affected by..." and you can omit the words in parenthesis.
oristarA

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2012 08:39 am
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

Quote:

Because you don't need it. Use the fewest words which will deliver a clear meaning.

It means "...than (those that) are affected by..." and you can omit the words in parenthesis.

Cool.
Thank you.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2012 09:21 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:
By comparison, this is more children than are affected by diabetes, AIDS, cancer, cerebral palsy, cystic fibrosis, muscular dystrophy or Down syndrome – combined.

"this is more children" is not where the phrase breaks

this is more children than

take "children" out of the phrase so it is clearer to you

this is more than

0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2012 11:36 am
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

Quote:

But given oristarA's confusion, it wasn't delivered clearly.

I suggest being wordy for the sake of clarity.
0 Replies