Was my comment written correctly ?

adores

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2012 05:53 am
Hello everyone

Few hours ago one user of our Bulgarian torrent website posted a comment which was clearly translated by these online translators such as Google translate or Bing.

I had a wish to help him with little bit information and simply reply to that user with the following message:
Use English and don't rely on online translators next time

Was that correct because another user replied to comment: " it would be better with ' make ' " ?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 824 • Replies: 4
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by adores
jespah
  Selected Answer

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2012 08:32 am
@adores,
Are you asking about this sentence?
Use English and don't rely on online translators next time

That sentence is fine the way it is, and the word "make" shouldn't come anywhere near it.

This sentence -
I had a wish to help him with little bit information and simply reply to that user with the following message:

^is awkward. There is no such English idiom as "I had a wish". Instead, write, "I wished" or "I wanted". The second is slightly better although both are technically correct. Also "little bit information" is wrong; use "a little bit of information" instead. Frankly, you could edit it to something more like I wanted to help him, so I wrote:

Hope this helps; I know English is very, very difficult to learn, but it looks to me like you're doing fine. These are more subtle nuances.
adores

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2012 09:21 am
@jespah,
Thank you Smile
jespah

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2012 09:25 am
@adores,
You're welcome!
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2012 01:07 pm
@jespah,
Quote:
This sentence -

^is awkward. There is no such English idiom as "I had a wish".

I think perhaps Adores meant "I only had a desire/wish to help him ...", Jespah.

Quote:
Instead, write, "I wished" or "I wanted". The second is slightly better although both are technically correct.

I don't think the second is better. I think that it's a matter of register/emotive feeling.

I [only] wished to help .../ I only had a desire to help ... .

These are from someone who is; being more contrite; allowing more that their intentions were in the right place; being more polite/softer.

"I wanted" is more forthright, not as "polite", not as soft.

0 Replies