so that & as well as

ziawj2

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2012 09:13 pm
Two sentences in a wedding congratulation letter:

So exciting and unbelievable is the news that I couldn't sleep now! . . . She must be beautiful as well as intelligent.

I am not sure whether the first sentence is grammatical right or not. What's more, is it a bit formal to write to a consin to congratulate on her wedding?

In the sencond sentence, is it natural to replace 'as well as' with 'and'?
Thank you.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,136 • Replies: 1
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2012 12:05 pm
@ziawj2,
Quote:
…..whether the first sentence, "So exciting and unbelievable is the news that I couldn't sleep now!" is grammatical…….
Grammar aside Zia it's confusing: At first reading it seems to say that the news that you couldn't sleep now is exciting and unbelievable

Quote:
is it a bit formal to write to a cousin to congratulate [her]
My immediate reaction was, why not

However I consulted my Better Half, who is much smarter than I, and she responded that a long time ago it was considered awkward to congratulate the bride because "In the olden days the man was supposed to be a virgin upon marriage," but today that seems silly so, yes, it's ok to congratulate the gal at least here in the contemporary US

Quote:
In ". . . She must be beautiful as well as intelligent" is it natural to replace 'as well as' with 'and'?
My first observation was that the meaning is different and that's an involved discussion I'd rather avoid. However my BH remarks, "The phrase is empty," subtly calling the groom's judgment into question

Zia if it's no imposition could you reveal something about yourself; age, sex, nationality, family, ed., motives, etc etc

Edited to note symbol, roughly "Et". What does it mean, how is it used, and where does one find it on the keyboard

No kidding, once when I was composing a posting on a forum such as this, owing to an inadvertent keystroke the symbol suddenly appeared though summarily rejected by the forum editing routine
0 Replies