Why can't we be ourselves if we want to make friends?

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2012 01:34 am
I have observed how while casually talking with friends, if I bring up even some mildly bad experiences I have had in the past (e.g. I narrated to my Indian friend how some strange random migrant, whom I did not know a thing about approached me on the road asking me if I am married when I was on a short trip to Australia when she asked me what made me leave the country and come to India) randomly when they ask me questions as to why I did not do what they thought I would do or not do, they react badly by running away from me, making faces at me or completely avoiding me. This happens every time and I end up losing some friends. Sometimes, they even start forming prejudices against me. I am the kind of person, who believes that you need not change yourself for friends, but should be yourself. I like friends, with whom you should be able to chat freely about any topic under the sun. Why does this not ever happen?

Mame

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2012 06:16 am
@studydreams,
Usually people don't reveal things about themselves until they know people better. Some people are uncomfortable with too much information being presented that early in a relationship.
studydreams

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2012 12:29 pm
@Mame,
Thank you for the reply. Good to know! :-)
0 Replies